Reload this Page >

Newbie Social Security/Tax/Pensions question

Newbie Social Security/Tax/Pensions question

Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

mariaGB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Social Security/Tax/Pensions question

hello all,

I've spent most of the morning reading older threads relating to this topic and I think have wound up more confused.

we've sorted out nearly everything - taken 4 weeks but the only thing left is the medical registration. my hubby is working in Barcelona - we are here with the kids - who are about to start school this week (yeah!). I am reverting to housewife/SAHM for the girls and take some Spanish/Catalan courses so I am not completely useless.

Is there a way for me to pay NI contributions into the UK or Spanish tax system to go towards the State Pension ? What do I have to do to make sure I can claim some pension if I make it to 65/70 depending on when they change the dates.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:20 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Social Security/Tax/Pensions question

Originally Posted by mariaGB
hello all,

I've spent most of the morning reading older threads relating to this topic and I think have wound up more confused.

we've sorted out nearly everything - taken 4 weeks but the only thing left is the medical registration. my hubby is working in Barcelona - we are here with the kids - who are about to start school this week (yeah!). I am reverting to housewife/SAHM for the girls and take some Spanish/Catalan courses so I am not completely useless.

Is there a way for me to pay NI contributions into the UK or Spanish tax system to go towards the State Pension ? What do I have to do to make sure I can claim some pension if I make it to 65/70 depending on when they change the dates.
As far as I understand, I don't think there is. I asked about voluntary (SS) contributions here in Spain and was told that this facility does not exist.

I think my first step in your situation is to get a pension forecast from DWP in UK. This will tell you how much (if any) pension pot you already have. They may then suggest that you pay voluntary contributions to 'top it up'. I believe that you can make up to 6 years of payments.

Here in Spain, I believe the retirement age is already 67 and is bound to go up as you say.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

Hi Maria
You can pay voluntary NI contributions to the UK(I have), the number of years you have to pay depend on how many years you've paid previously so that it takes to 30 years of payments, which entitles you to a basic state pension.
That's how it was for me but obviously it may be different for you depending on circumstances.
Good luck with your new life.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/abroad.htm#2
Old Dec 11th 2012, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

mariaGB is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone.

I am off to check out what i need to do as i've a few countries to try and link together
Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

the above advice is correct.

you may pay voluntarily in UK at the rate of 600 odd gbp pa. You need to have 30 paid up years & get a forecast from DWP to see where you are at.

re Spain you cannot pay in voluntarily or the gap years you have missed, don't ask, you just can't!
Old Dec 11th 2012, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yep that's about right - pay any outstanding contributions in the UK to make up the 30 years contributions. Unless you work in Spain oin a legal contract you cannot make payments here.