Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

newbie question

newbie question

Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default newbie question

Hello everyone.

I am thinking of renting an apartment in alicante,i am a uk Seaman and work one month on and the same off.

would i need any legal documents for staying in alicante a month on and off.For example can i say it is a holiday home,would i need to apply for recidency,im not sure how long i would be staying,but i think the minimum term for renting is 6 months,well the ones i saw anyway.

Any other useful information would be appeciated too.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 7:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie question

To rent in Spain all you need is your passport. Most rental contracts are for a year, which in effect means five years. Alicante city, like any other, is more expensive, and full of apartments that are rented out permanently and professionally.

Because of your circumstances, there is no need for residency, the 183 day rule, although you can apply for residency with your passport and rental contract, and get your NIE and open a bank account (a passport suffices for that too). But why bother?

If you want to make Spain your permanent home, pay taxes here etc., it’s easier to pay a small sum to a Gestor to do it all for you, the major rental agencies will advise you on all of it, electric, water, community fees etc.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks HBG.

Would i need to open a bank account in order the pay for rent and bills?
Old Dec 5th 2009, 11:33 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Technically, you could do it all without opening a bank account, but you would need to be in situ at certain times, monthly, and because of your travelling it would be easier to open a bank account.

Alicante city itself has several international banks, which used to include Barclays, but when I was last there, the branch had closed. But there are others, like Halifax.

The best area of the city is from around El Corte Ingles down to the harbour, the other side of the castle is much cheaper, with large three to four bedroomed apartments, but I would avoid that area.

You won’t find many English people in the city itself, and if you’re looking for an ‘English’ environment you’d be better off in other places nearby.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Luckily i bank with the Halifax.would i be charged for setting up a direct debit account for paying rent and house hold bills? Also would i be charged using my Halifax debit card at their ATM?

I have ordered one of those global debit card where you just top it up and you don't get any withdrawal or usage charges.

I'm planning to rent in Cabo roig or Torrevieja area,nothing definite yet.I am single so no ties as such.Also i would try and learn Spanish ASAP.

My plan is to stay somewhere near the coast not too lively (or too quiet as i will be on my own) and my relatives would want to visit me.

I have seen a few properties on the think Spain website for 2 bedroom apartments with pool for around £350 per month.But i'm not sure how much electric,water etc will be on top of that.
Would i need a NIE for paying bills?
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:22 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cabo Roig is a good choice for someone in your circumstances. There's a Halifax in Torrevieja.

You'll have to be careful in your choice, some parts of Orihuela Costa are turning into ghost towns with people leaving for various reasons and there are hundreds of rentals available. Make sure you've got plenty of neighbours and that the urbanisation is complete, with everything you need nearby.

Unless you want to buy a car, you won't need a NIE. I wouldn't bother with anything until you've been there for a while and have asked around.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

I am a former Master Mariner in the UK merchant navy and bought my place in Spain while still doing that so I may have some pertinent comments for you.

No need for residency. Keep your UK residency as that is what your Seafarers tax exemption (100% refund) is based on, if necessary use a family members address - (politicians do it all the time apparently ). Keep a travel journal of all trips with receipts in case the IR ask questions.

Get an NIE. If you want to buy any major items in Spain you will need it and you do not need to be a resident to get one.

Get a UK account that allows free cash withdrawals abroad - HSBC are good at just £15 per month - its worth it.

A Spanish account is good for bills and DD as you say.

You will need to choose location carefully as only 28 days at a time there it will be hard to get established socially.
Learn Spanish! Use a gestor/lawyer to review any contracts before you sign.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mykap; Dec 7th 2009 at 10:37 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by HBG
Cabo Roig is a good choice for someone in your circumstances. There's a Halifax in Torrevieja.

Unless you want to buy a car, you won't need a NIE. I wouldn't bother with anything until you've been there for a while and have asked around.
There is a Halifax closer to Cabo Roig than Torrevieja, there is one in Orihuela Costa, just down the La Zenia road (Calle Brisas I think)towards Villamartin (by Petsworld) - about a mile from Cabo Roig
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Punta Prima would also do, plenty of shops etc, but also there is a beach, and, more importantly, a regular bus service into Torrevieja. Loads of places to rent, and also to buy at low prices as there is a surfeit of housing all around there.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:31 am
Just Joined

stevex9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lacmac

Tell me. Have you found a place yet?. I may be able to help you so that you don't need to do a long contract.

Stevex9