Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Newbie-help with hairdressers

Newbie-help with hairdressers

Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie-help with hairdressers

Originally Posted by jdr
Is it like this in hairdressers now, I haven`t been to one for years ?
now how would matt know
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

Forum. In La Cala, all english
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:24 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Heard Forum is good, would be closer too. They also do manicures and beauty treatments.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:10 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Is it like this in hairdressers now, I haven`t been to one for years ?
Originally Posted by lynnxa
now how would matt know
I have reported the pair of you for your bully tactics.....

.... and NO! I don't know what its like in a hairdressers... not been for a few years now.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have reported the pair of you for your bully tactics.....

.... and NO! I don't know what its like in a hairdressers... not been for a few years now.
Thats what I just said. ;-)
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Thats what I just said. ;-)
me too
Old Sep 21st 2009, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all the genuine helpful posts, all numbers would be most appreciated.

Since seeing your posts i have managed to get a hair cut but will be trying others until i am happily settled with one.

We spent an exhausting time round Fuengirola looking for a hairdressers as hubby had mentioned it being a lot of English shops e,g there.

There were a lot of hairdressers varying from ten euros to 30 euros and a lot of them that could only speak Spanish and couldn't understand what i meant just by saying a cut which made me feel very silly not being able to speak to them in Spanish, which i wouldn't expect to be able to in just six weeks.

Still time to learn.

We went into the travel information centre to ask if they knew of one and i don't think the lady liked very much me asking for a hairdressers that speaks English, i felt she was a little bit off with me and said she did not know and couldn't help me.

Well! In the end we found one down by the front, wont mention the name as i don't think that's fair to do that.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, don't know why it posted when i had not finished yet?

Well!

Went in and asked if they speak English the lady on the desk spoke a few words (which was the best i had had so far) and said they all spoke English not to worry, so i booked in for an hour later and came back to find the lady cutting my hair could speak NO ENGLISH and they brought down an interpreter that spoke a little to try to sort the situation out which i thought was a nice thing to do, luckily i had a picture to show, and the lady spoke a lot of Spanish to her to explain (haven't got a clue what she told her).

After an hour waisted before starting on my hair with then trying to get me to have wash, shampoo e,t,c, seeing as i had exsplained (well tried to explain) i wanted a dry cut, which where i go in England they wet it down with water when cutting because of health problems with hypothyroidism i cant use there shampoos e,t,c.

So i sat in the chair and crossed fingers and hoped for the best.

After finishing the blow drying and letting me see in a mirror at the back, i was most pleased to see that after all the initial problems of getting across what cut i would like it came out very well a bit shorter that liked but as the young lady said when finished " more modern" which i must say it is, and i think she did a lovely job and it must be good as hubby was well impressed and mentioned several times how nice it looked and suited me

So it just shows even if there is a problem with Language communication, just put your trust in People.

I do think that next time i would like to try some where else, perhaps just to have a little bit of conversation while having my hair cut.

Forgot to mention the cut cost 27 euros

Last edited by ausi dream; Sep 21st 2009 at 10:15 am.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it worked out in the end, 27€ sounds a fair amount to me but then this is goat country!
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I think the average amount to pay that i got quoted was 15 euros.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my hair cut throughout the world, and the best way of finding a hairdresser is seeing someone's hair you like, regardless where you are and asking them where they get their hair done, and have found good hairdressers that way. In Spain, I've had my hair done by Spanish and English, I didn't speak any Spanish, but didn't have any nightmares. I tend to sit and watch how they are doing other people's and whether I like what they have done to them, gives me a good idea.

Used to goto the English Cut, Caroline (one of the owners) did it, mostly, and I went there for a year. But the colour was never quite right, sometimes, it looked like she had missed some of the highlight, and the cut, I often used to argue with my hair, it never went quite where I wanted it to.. I don't go there any more. Since I commute quite a bit to UK, I often get my hair done by my old hairdresser in UK, the cut has been much better and it falls right, and even if it dries natually it looks good and I get more compliments on it now. I never got any compliments when Caroline did it.. There was a gay guy there called Ron I think at EC, and I also got compliments after he did it. Out of the two owners Paul is probably better. Expensive for what you get and I think there are better.

Reflections in Neuva Andulusia, Jonathan is the best for colour, there is an Italian guy, (can't remember his name) is better for cuts. I've seen other people who have also had their hair done by them, and it is what attracted me to there when I need a touch up. I've someone who had their short hair cut by the Italian and Jonathan there and they looked really good.

Studio B has opened recently there, next door, prices are cheaper, Jackie did my hair there, for colour and blow wave good. Don't bother getting your nails done there, my bio gels came off after a week and I've gone again back to someone who has done them for a while in UK, they last better. Also I was there for nearly 4 hours just getting roots done, although I liked what she did, I can't be bothered hanging around half the day. So it put me off going back there, but thought I'd give it a try.

You might also want to try Robert Calvin in Neuva Andulusia, also meant to quite good, prices. Personally prefer men cutting my hair, as they seem to do a better job, and it's long. I tend to get better compliments from both men and women after they do it, especially men.

I don't know any hairdressers nearer to you, but the best thing to do is start looking at some of the expats who live there, or English speaking and the ones who you like how they have had their hair done are the ones to ask. Best compliment you can pay a complete stranger is saying Hey I love your hair, where do you get it done....and I've found some great hairdressers by doing that in various countries in the world. Same applies if their hair looks crap, at least you know also where they get it done, to avoid, obviously you don't tell them that.

Happy Hunting.

Last edited by Mercedes; Jan 26th 2010 at 8:57 pm.