Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New style "Residency" certificates.

New style "Residency" certificates.

Old May 6th 2011, 1:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New style "Residency" certificates.

Originally Posted by Ex-pat View Post
It is on my SIP card and I always have that on me.

So, you can't remember it either
Old May 6th 2011, 1:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

errrrrrrm

mine has an X at the beginning.....................................

& that's about all I can remember
Old May 6th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James View Post
I wonder how many people can remember their NIE?

I can but my wife can't - how about other forum members??
It's on my medical card and I always carry that with me!
Old May 6th 2011, 5:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet View Post
It's on my medical card and I always carry that with me!
Yes but do you remember it?

Rotor made the point that all you need to carry is your passport and you can quote your NIE to the police if they need to check your residency status.

If you can't remember it you have to rely on another document which could be a number of items including the registration certificate.

This is one of the reasons that a Spanish driving licence is such a good ID (apart from using it for legal transactions) in that it has your photo and your NIE on it.
Old May 6th 2011, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but do you remember it?

Rotor made the point that all you need to carry is your passport and you can quote your NIE to the police if they need to check your residency status.

If you can't remember it you have to rely on another document which could be a number of items including the registration certificate.

This is one of the reasons that a Spanish driving licence is such a good ID (apart from using it for legal transactions) in that it has your photo and your NIE on it.
I always carry that with me too because no... I can't remember the number, it took me forty years before I remembered my NI number in the UK!
Old May 6th 2011, 6:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Unless we're driving around, or going into official situations, I wonder if we could get by without carrying anything other than a few Euros to buy what we need?

I look normal, don't hang around dodgy places, and often go out without any ID whatsoever.

Just like back in the UK.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:57 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG View Post
Unless we're driving around, or going into official situations, I wonder if we could get by without carrying anything other than a few Euros to buy what we need?

I look normal, don't hang around dodgy places, and often go out without any ID whatsoever.

Just like back in the UK.
Rarely carry anything apart from my driving licence.

Rosemary
Old May 6th 2011, 7:58 pm

I don't carry any ID - it is no longer a legal requirement to do so.

It is a legal requirement to prove who you are if required to do so. To achieve this I keep notarised copies of all my documents (DL, Foreigners certificate and passport - all photo-reduced onto one A4 sheet) in my car(s) which are never far away.
Old May 7th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I don't carry any ID - it is no longer a legal requirement to do so.

It is a legal requirement to prove who you are if required to do so. To achieve this I keep notarised copies of all my documents (DL, Foreigners certificate and passport - all photo-reduced onto one A4 sheet) in my car(s) which are never far away.
I did not know this ,I wonder if quoting your NIE would suffice? Guess it would also be a good idea to remember the missus`s mobile number so she can get you out of jail when it all goes wrong
Old May 7th 2011, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
I did not know this ,I wonder if quoting your NIE would suffice? Guess it would also be a good idea to remember the missus`s mobile number so she can get you out of jail when it all goes wrong
It used to be an offence not to carry ID.

Now you are only required to produce it if required. Of course if you don't have it things get tricky. You might get detained until someone can bring proof of ID.

That's where the missus's mobile comes in!

Just quoting your NIE doesn't help as it could be anyone's.

Back to the realities of living in Spain as opposed to the theory - a Spanish DL is probably the best form of ID for most circumstances. Alternatively certified copies of your passport and other docs should be acceptable except in some shops which insist on original documents.

Personally I carry no original documents. I have an A4 sheet with a copy of my passport, DL and foreigners certificate on the one page, duly certified by the town hall.

We have two cars and we keep a copy in each. If I was stopped by the police away from my car it would usually be a short walk to produce them.

For shopping my wife uses her expired Residencia card for ID - no one has yet refused that.
Old May 7th 2011, 6:14 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Much the same here Fred.
My Spanish DL is good for most things & I also carry my old residencia card, which again is good for most things.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:00 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We carry our (expired) residency cards - never bothered getting the A4 sheet - and I also have a certified copy of my passport (certified by Co-op Bank in UK as I needed it for something whilst I was visiting).

Neither of us have Spanish driving licences.

The residency card has never been queried for anything.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be an offence not to carry ID.

Now you are only required to produce it if required. Of course if you don't have it things get tricky. You might get detained until someone can bring proof of ID.

That's where the missus's mobile comes in!

Just quoting your NIE doesn't help as it could be anyone's.

Back to the realities of living in Spain as opposed to the theory - a Spanish DL is probably the best form of ID for most circumstances. Alternatively certified copies of your passport and other docs should be acceptable except in some shops which insist on original documents.

Personally I carry no original documents. I have an A4 sheet with a copy of my passport, DL and foreigners certificate on the one page, duly certified by the town hall.

We have two cars and we keep a copy in each. If I was stopped by the police away from my car it would usually be a short walk to produce them.

For shopping my wife uses her expired Residencia card for ID - no one has yet refused that.
In theory with a NIE police should at least be able to get your height ,DOB, race,eye color,place of birth, parents names , etc and with today's technology even your photo but as Spain dose not lead the way with technology it`s still a good idea to remember the missus`s mobile number (and hope youve not pissed her off) so she can free you.

UK police can usually satisfy themselves of your ID just on DOB and place of birth and a few other q`s.

We have enough to worry about without stressing if you've got every bit of paper for your car or even ID to walk the street
The technology is there for the authorities but the *asttards dont want to pay for it and prefer to inconvenience us
Old May 8th 2011, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

maisymay is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: New style "Residency" certificates.

Hola How do you get one of these smaller residencia cards ?
Old May 8th 2011, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by maisymay View Post
Hola How do you get one of these smaller residencia cards ?
They are not cards - just a smaller piece of paper printed on both sides.

If you have the old A4 type I assume you can get a new one but it will cost you another €10. If you are due to get one anyway, you will get the new small one.

As I said before, if you want a pocket sized version, just get it photo reduced!