Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Shopping Centres in Mallorca

New Shopping Centres in Mallorca

Old Nov 12th 2015, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough
Default New Shopping Centres in Mallorca

Was a little disappointed to hear that the proposed new shopping centre on Playa De Palma is impacted following the discovery of "Limonium barceloi" at the site. Looks like the Autumn 2016 opening dates are unlikely to materialise. I checked out the site at the end of October, and there was no work being done at all. It's a real mess there.

New Environmentally Protected Area in Palma Bay | SeeMallorca.com

However......
At the nearby Carrefour site, work is well underway on this beauty -

Fan Mallorca Shopping: Palma's new complex » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin

This is great news for us, as we are close by. The skeleton of the building is up and it's crazy busy. Really looking forward to that being finished....

Last edited by SportyPorty; Nov 12th 2015 at 10:16 am. Reason: Grammar
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:48 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Shopping Centres in Mallorca

Many things have dramatically improved in Mallorca in the past decade, shopping being one of them. You should've been here 20 years ago. It was very suggestive of "third world" back then. Different place today.

I personally believe Mallorca is in a lovely "place" at the moment. We still have much of the old-world charm (and that character is passionately protected) yet we no longer lack modernity. The "palma springs" centre is a testament to that, yet projects like this are wisely kept away from the traditional rural areas, which limits the growth of suburban "sprawl".

All the charm, without the third-world backwardness. May it last...
Old Nov 12th 2015, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Hey Amideislas, Yeah, it's the Palma Springs that I was referring to in the first link. I really hope they can resolve the issues and build it. That website you linked looks fantastic, and open Sunday too - I wasn't aware of that. I wonder how much of an effect the "Limonium barceloi" will have, let's hope it's minimal, but it is worrying when the last line of the article says "Environmentalist groups have been protesting it since the building works started in 2013, and Palma's council has recently archived their licence."
Old Nov 12th 2015, 1:31 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, no matter what it is, somebody will protest. They'll fight about it for a while, but ultimately, the project will go ahead. To much money involved.

The site is a heavily urbanised area, about 300m back from the beach. It has been a parking lot, a hire car repository, and then a sort of dump for construction waste for as long as I can remember. Perhaps there is some environmental impact that I wouldn't be qualified to envision, but if history is any guide, I have to suspect this is just another protest for the sake of protesting. The usual...
Old Nov 12th 2015, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

LOL...OK, that's good to know, I was worried that it would be canned. Fingers crossed that construction work continues soon...Cheers