British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   New roof (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/new-roof-359672/)

maryg Mar 7th 2006 10:03 am

New roof

Hi,
Can anyone help me.....I'm trying to find out what permisions we need to get some work carried out on our house. It's basically a juggle around of the exsisting house with new roof. I have tried a search on the forum but nothing showed up. I think it's something like Permito de obras neuvas.
Am I right in thinking we get it from the town hall?
If the builder fails to get one are we responsible if the powers that be decide to fine us?
Cheers,
Mary

Hillybilly Mar 7th 2006 3:46 pm

Re: New roof

Hi Mary
For a new roof you require a licencia de obra mejor and to obtain that you need the services of an architect to make the application and submit the structural details/design to your ayuntamiento. Your town hall will normally be able to provide you with names of local architects.
A licencia de obra menor would suffice if you were just making non-structural repairs to your existing roof eg renewing no more than 50% of your roof tiles or repairing the eaves. For this licence you do not need the services of an architect - you can go and apply for the licence yourself and you pay your fee which is a precentage of the cost of the works.
Never assume that a builder will apply for any licence or permit on your behalf. You need to instruct him to do so and request sight of the actual licence (not the application) before you let him start work. You would be liable if works were done with no licence or permit.
Having said this, many people take the risk and don't apply for any licence at all ;)

Originally Posted by maryg
Hi,
Can anyone help me.....I'm trying to find out what permisions we need to get some work carried out on our house. It's basically a juggle around of the exsisting house with new roof. I have tried a search on the forum but nothing showed up. I think it's something like Permito de obras neuvas.
Am I right in thinking we get it from the town hall?
If the builder fails to get one are we responsible if the powers that be decide to fine us?
Cheers,
Mary

maryg Mar 7th 2006 4:05 pm

Thankyou so much for that information. We have used this builder before for minor refurbs to our little casita, and I've seen other work carried out by him. I didn't realise we needed an architect to look at the house for the new roof......niave of me.......just thought it was a straightforward replacement.
Friends of ours who live out of town (out of view) have had a new roof and other major works and didn't apply for a license. I'm just trying to reckon up how much extra cost it will be on top of the roof....hmmmmm;)
I will mention this to my builder, though he is obviously well aware of the requirements!
Mary

Hillybilly Mar 7th 2006 6:15 pm

Unfortunately architects don't come cheap here do they! I imagine you'll be looking at a couple of grand in fees. The advantage of doing it all legally (apart from not having to live with the risk of "being caught") is that you can offset the costs of the declared works plus the architect's fees against CGT when/if you come to sell.
It will be up to you to decide how "visible" your house and new roof may be.
Also - does your builder warrant the design of the new roof? An architect does. Which is why you pay him/her.

maryg Mar 8th 2006 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Unfortunately architects don't come cheap here do they! I imagine you'll be looking at a couple of grand in fees. The advantage of doing it all legally (apart from not having to live with the risk of "being caught") is that you can offset the costs of the declared works plus the architect's fees against CGT when/if you come to sell.
It will be up to you to decide how "visible" your house and new roof may be.
Also - does your builder warrant the design of the new roof? An architect does. Which is why you pay him/her.

So.......just talking hypothetically here.......what would be the worse carse scenario if my builder didn't get a licence....bearing in mind our town is quite small and we're only about 2 miles from the town hall;)

Hillybilly Mar 8th 2006 10:44 am

Well, if caught you would be fined. This could be a lump sum or, if the works were in progress, a weekly ongoing fine if you continued. You would be ordered to stop the works. You could even be asked to remove the works if they cannot be proved to be of an adequate design.
A separate "risk" is that without an architect's design (or equivalent), your new roof could be built not in accordance with building regs. It could actually be a defective design if your builder doesn't know what he is doing eg it could overload the existing structure, it could be inadequately insulated, wrong size beams etc etc.
I'm sure that the majority of the Spanish would do this sort of work without a licence. Unfortunately as "the only Brit in the village" often, the likes of you and I tend to stand out and are talking points ("oooh look - the guiri's having a new roof...."!)

maryg Mar 8th 2006 11:03 am

I'm sure that the majority of the Spanish would do this sort of work without a licence. Unfortunately as "the only Brit in the village" often, the likes of you and I tend to stand out and are talking points ("oooh look - the guiri's having a new roof...."!

That is so true! We are a talking point because although not quite 'the only Brit's in the village' we do stand out...my husband is tattooed heavily and so am I, we also bought a house smack bang in the middle of the 'huerta' alongside Spanish. They probably think we're mental too, always working in the mid day sun. We have yet to meet any of the other Brits local to us. It was funny when we first stayed at our house, as the local ladies walk down our lane on their evening stroll.....I went out and broke the ice, introduced ourselves to discover they knew all about us!
With regard to the roof...they're going to think we're made of money aren't they?(couldn't be further from the truth:( ) My husband is going over next week, he'll have to talk with our builder and persuade him to do the right thing....whatever that is;) (I don't think we have done anything the 'right' way to date:eek: )
Many thanks for your help.
Mary:)

maryg Mar 15th 2006 7:04 pm

Hi Hillybilly,
Well my husband has spoken with the builder and he actually told my husband that he would need our signatures so he could apply for a works license. :eek: So no sleepless nights waiting for the powers that be to knock the door. He is applying for a 'repairs' rather than 'new' works but I'm quite happy with that.;)
He's going to give us a few options regarding the roof and should be able to start work after we leave in April. Thanks for your help and advice.
Mary