Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New procedure for applying for UK passports.

New procedure for applying for UK passports.

Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:24 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default New procedure for applying for UK passports.

All detailed here
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New procedure for applying for UK passports.

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
All detailed here
Thanks, good information.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Is it less expensive doing it this way-it ought to be!
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Is it less expensive doing it this way-it ought to be!
Doing it this way costs just under £150 to replace an expired passport.
No changes other than an up to date photo.

An absolute disgrace that they can get away with charging this much for an essential travel document.

My kids and wife's passports expire this year, so for a family of five that costs nearly £750 just for passport renewals. It's *****ing disgusting.

How much do the Spanish pay for their passports again?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 8:51 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
€25.76
Old Feb 14th 2014, 8:53 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Doing it this way costs just under £150 to replace an expired passport.
No changes other than an up to date photo.

An absolute disgrace that they can get away with charging this much for an essential travel document.

My kids and wife's passports expire this year, so for a family of five that costs nearly £750 just for passport renewals. It's *****ing disgusting.

What does the price of a Spanish passport have to do with it?

If we are going down that route we could go on and on, for example comparing prescription charges between the two countries for the working population.
Or the cost of school books in Spain compared to UK.

Useless comparisons.

The price is the price. End of.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me

If we are going down that route we could go on and on, for example comparing prescription charges between the two countries for the working population.

Useless comparisons.

It ought to have something to do with the fact that we're all supposed to be in the EU, freedom of movement, open borders and all that bollox.
I can't think of a single justification for the UK charging more than six times the price of an ES passport.
Fair enough if you need a replacement passport due to loss or theft, but for a renewal due to expiry? A simple photo update?

If you have young children then their passports require renewing after five years instead of ten. At £150 a pop. And again, only to update their photo.

Last edited by billgates; Feb 14th 2014 at 10:19 am. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 14th 2014, 11:05 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

It ought to have something to do with the fact that we're all supposed to be in the EU, freedom of movement, open borders and all that bollox.
I can't think of a single justification for the UK charging more than six times the price of an ES passport.
Fair enough if you need a replacement passport due to loss or theft, but for a renewal due to expiry? A simple photo update?

If you have young children then their passports require renewing after five years instead of ten. At £150 a pop. And again, only to update their photo.
You still have freedom of movement, that has not been taken away. The only difference is that British expat pay 15 euros a year to have that freedom, and Spanish people pay 2.57 euros a year.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me

Useless comparisons.

When we used to renew passports via Madrid it was thought that the high price (much higher than renewing it in UK,) was to do with the cost of running the British embassies. Then they were renewed via Belfast no cheaper; Now it is to be done online, so why should we not expect it to be on a par with the price of renewing it in the UK, allowing for the postage/delivery charge?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Is there not a claim of discrimination one citizen against another? A resident in UK will pay far less to renew his/her passport using the precise same office as a resident elsewhere in the EU? I think I will write to Brussels on this.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Definitely worth a try
Old Feb 15th 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

The price differential is explained by the difference in pricing 'models' The British government deem that if you can afford to travel abroad you must also bear the full cost of the passport service and so it is not subsidised out of public funds, unlike the Spanish system.

This is a fact that was explained to me and a group of visitors to the British consulate in Alicante, by the Consul.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by spainrico
The price differential is explained by the difference in pricing 'models' The British government deem that if you can afford to travel abroad you must also bear the full cost of the passport service and so it is not subsidised out of public funds, unlike the Spanish system.

This is a fact that was explained to me and a group of visitors to the British consulate in Alicante, by the Consul.
That I do not believe! I have written to the EU for their comments. So those of us who are so rich that we must subsidise all those Bankers, and billionaire Treasury Bench occupants. A weaker excuse I have yet to hear.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 5:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico

What would He know. He is not a Career Diplomat.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm puzzled why a UK passport is much more expensive than a UK driving licence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.