Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New person needs some help and advise!!

New person needs some help and advise!!

Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Default Re: New person needs some help and advise!!

Originally Posted by me me
What a lot of banco jones.

I dont know what part of England you lived in mate, but that was not my experience. I have nothing but good to say about my time spent in the UK.
Most people on here did not run for their lives to get away from violence, muggings and intimidation, they just wanted a change of lifestyle.
You make it sould as though you lived in the slums of Brazil or Helmand Province.
In fact I find the opposite true, a lot more folks speak to strangers in the UK than here in Spain.

Regards, JLFS
yeah mate, you try living in Plymouth and tell me again in a year or so...........
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:25 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
like i said, if you do your research and you are COMMITTED come what may, you'll do it.

if you want something enough and your goals and dreams are strong enough, you can do it.

one life

live it.

This post reminds me of people with cancer vowing to beat it, because they want to live so much, they will fight and defeat the Big C.
They try to infer that you can always be cured if your will is strong enough.
Total rubbish, that infers that those who die of this terrible illness, did not want to live enough, and their fighting spirit was weak.
It is the same with dreams, live is a gamble and we all depend so much on luck or fate.
It is not being negative and a doom merchant to point out the pitfalls to newcomers.
There is nothelp from the cradle to the grave here, it is survival of the fittest.
A lot has been said about the Spanish being ignorant about the state of the economy. Could the vast majority of the "ignorant" not be aware bacause, their lives are always the same ie. living from hand to mouth whatever the state of the country. Boom or bust has no meaning for them, they always have a hard life.
It seems ironic that there are a great number of people in the UK who do not notice the recession. They are not the super rich either, they are the shirkers who milk the system and never have worked and have no intention of doing so.
There is no safety net here. You are on your own when things go wrong.
I would advise anyone, especially with children to think twice about coming here.
The advantage you gain by learning a second language is not that great even when returning to work in the UK.
I have had jobs in the UK and did not get any extra advantage by being bilingual. Most second language speakers do not use it in their jobs, unless related to the tourist industry, which is usually at the lower end of the pay scale anyway, so I would not have been interested.

So to all the possible newcomers, think and think again. Listen to the horror stories, and being skint in the sun is f***ing terrible if you can not afford airconditioning.
There is a lot of "Emperors new clothes syndrome" within the expat community. Maybe because I am Spanish means that I can blow the lid off all the myths flying around, without seeming to be ungrateful to Spain.

Regards,
JLFS
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:27 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=painterhombre;7728802]yeah mate, you try living in Plymouth and tell me again in a year or so...........[/QUOTE

So what is so terrible about Plymouth, that is different to other cities in the UK?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

And may I add its not against posting rules to be negative on the forum
However breaking rule one regarding respect for each others opinions etc is.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

travellinggrad is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah mate, you try living in Plymouth and tell me again in a year or so...........
Well on behalf of Plymouth I would like to say, adiós!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by whitelinen
In his reply LLF wrote that he has lived in Spain for 7 years !

My suggestion that the OP checked out the moving back to UK section was neither rude snide or unkind. It was merely a reminder that many genuine experiences of being an ex-pat are discussed there.

Spain is not Utopia.

I know of and have read that some people with children have had terrible experiences with bullying in Spanish Schools for instance, with others their marriage could not cope with the separation from OH and family and others have lost their employment in the UK.

Its a sad day when a few members are allowed to shout down and/or abuse other members who disagree with them
I am an ousider looking in on your post and to me it is more or less telling me dont waste my time coming to Spain ,maybe you could have added a little more to your post and it would not have looked as rude .
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
And may I add its not against posting rules to be negative on the forum
However breaking rule one regarding respect for each others opinions etc is.
I did not see an opinion posted in Whitelinens post ,did you ?Just a statement as far as I am concerned
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by travellinggrad
Well on behalf of Plymouth I would like to say, adiós!
yeah thats reet me ansum, see ee lader ma buy. sees ee up argow bout lem o clock eh? then us gets the 'erald and sees what croims ave gone doon by the buys today eh? ged on.

oh god i could go on.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

travellinggrad is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah thats reet me ansum, see ee lader ma buy. sees ee up argow bout lem o clock eh? then us gets the 'erald and sees what croims ave gone doon by the buys today eh? ged on.

oh god i could go on.
Yes, I definitely speak like that having just graduated with a high Science degree from a Top 5 University. I have spent the majority of my life in Plymouth and my parents now have a place in Portugal. If you're finding problems with a city as innocuous as Plymouth you're going to have trouble in Spain.

(Sorry everyone else - interloper - but this is the last I'll say)
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:09 pm
Banned

oh god i could go on.
Translation needed please

JLFS
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

painterhombre said:
"like i said, if you do your research and you are COMMITTED come what may, you'll do it.
if you want something enough and your goals and dreams are strong enough, you can do it.
one life
live it".
With respect I think you may be confusing the actual "move" to Spain, with the "making a life" here. They are quite distinct.
With a little cash and a cheap flight we are arrived. That is a big step for some. Many come with much more. But as ME ME pointed out, many, many have been forced to return to their home countries for both unforeseen and mistily-seen-in-the-distance misfortune. All this talk of dreams is well and good, but there are many possible nightmarish scenarios that play out, leaving many with no option but to up and off. Exchange rate changes, loss of job, illegal built casa, illness...the list is as long as the dream is short.
Also there are the many who wish themselves away from their present predicament (in the UK for example), but to be able to move lock, stock and barrel would be impossible. A dream will not do it.
Like you I have an Internet based business. Right now peeps are watching their credit card spending, and we feel it. If and when things were to go pear shaped, there will be no weeping and wailing for a lost dream. Only that life shall continue in another direction.
You have made the move with you and yours and I have nothing but good wishes for you. But try a little humility for those that do not, and never shall, share your good fortune.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by me me
Translation needed please

JLFS

I thought Northerners were hard to understand (not meaning to be horrible) cant get my head round it either
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager

I thought Northerners were hard to understand (not meaning to be horrible) cant get my head round it either
sorry, its a plymouth dialect, i admit its quite hard to understand! its meant to be light hearted.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Dont really get all this "dont bother even trying, it'll all be a disaster attitude".

In my part of London therre's a lot of immigrant's from Poland, and other parts of Eastern Europe, normally poor by UK standards, and contrary to popular belief, they dont even try to get council flat's or benefit's.

There's also a lot of African's etc.

The point is a, a lot of these people seem to do quite well for themselves, without the benefit of a year's worth of money etc.

So if they can do it with less advantages than the average Brit moving to Spain, why cant the British do just as well.

We're just as smart, and hard working as anyone else, and usually have the benefit of start up cash etc.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by savateur
Dont really get all this "dont bother even trying, it'll all be a disaster attitude".

In my part of London therre's a lot of immigrant's from Poland, and other parts of Eastern Europe, normally poor by UK standards, and contrary to popular belief, they dont even try to get council flat's or benefit's.

There's also a lot of African's etc.

The point is a, a lot of these people seem to do quite well for themselves, without the benefit of a year's worth of money etc.

So if they can do it with less advantages than the average Brit moving to Spain, why cant the British do just as well.

We're just as smart, and hard working as anyone else, and usually have the benefit of start up cash etc.
I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.