Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New pension age for women, is it fair?

New pension age for women, is it fair?

Old Jun 20th 2011, 6:30 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default New pension age for women, is it fair?

Men and women will have the same retirement age, most men seem to be in favour as it is "real sex equality".

This jump will cause a lot more pain for the men, than they think.

Since the average couple usually have an age difference of a few years, five years not bing uncommon, this means that the hubby will retire earlier than his wife.

So instead of being on the golf course he will be at home "keeping house" cooking the meals etc.

Also usually the care of elderly relatives usually falls on women, a woman of 60 will most likely have parents and in-laws in their 80s to care for to a greater or lesser degree.

This might have to be delegated to her recently retired husband, while she works her extra years.

In that case I wonder if the "equality" cry, will still be as loud.

I for one think that the original retirement age of 60 for women and 65 for men was designed for this purpose, so that when the man retired his 4 or 5 year younger wife, would be there to run the house and care for the older generation, so hubby could well and truly retire.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:15 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New pension age for women, is it fair?

I don't think you can base a retirement age on a preference for age of partners. I know a few relationships where the female is at least as old as the male... I also know quite a few people who have ended up single and prefer it that way..

Where I do wonder about the logic of raising the retirement age, is this. There are 9 million people of working age in the UK who are economically inactive (eg registered disabled, students, housewives and carers etc). There just isn't the amount of jobs to keep people active, and in many jobs you have no chance of getting work once you pass 40 or 50. So, you may save on paying out pensions, but then you end up paying out housing benefit, or tax credit for those in part-time jobs. An additional point is this - if you really do get people working to 67 or 70 (or whatever the end target age is) you deny chances to the younger generation, who are already being hit hard by the lack of jobs. By all means give people the choice. But I feel it's a retrograde step that in the end will benefit no-one.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Since the average couple usually have an age difference of a few years, five years not bing uncommon, this means that the hubby will retire earlier than his wife.
I fit this category.

I stopped working early while Mrs was still working

The first year was great.

Then unfortunately Mrs. had to stop working, spoiled my fun.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Where I do wonder about the logic of raising the retirement age, is this. There are 9 million people of working age in the UK who are economically inactive
Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It's very sad - I come originally from that part of the country, and personally know people including at least one relative, who worked in that industry. This will mean (yet again) as in the case of the car industry, people losing their livelihoods and probably never getting decent regular work again in that region. But, much as I dislike the politicians in charge, I don't think this is their fault at all. They have to choose a supplier who have shown they can deliver on time and provide reliable products.

Difficult decisions?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me

So instead of being on the golf course he will be at home "keeping house" cooking the meals etc.
Whilst I've never set foot on a golf course, I manage to be out most days, enjoying my hobbies of walking and photography, whilst still doing the gardening, housework, cooking etc, it's a doddle! Can't see what women make such a fuss about, for just the two of us it's extremely easy, and my wife tells everyone I'm a better cook than her! They wanted equality, now they've got it, and they're still moaning.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I fit this category.

I stopped working early while Mrs was still working

The first year was great.

Then unfortunately Mrs. had to stop working, spoiled my fun.
Same here, although I had quite a few years before she spoilt my fun.
Just taken her a cup of tea in bed, like every morning! They've got it made.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:07 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

About time too, lazy workshy dole scroungers sucking up all the public money, make them work longer, they never had it so good!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
About time too, lazy workshy dole scroungers sucking up all the public money, make them work longer, they never had it so good!
So you'd be in favour then?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:24 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
So you'd be in favour then?
Yeah, why not....
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Yeah, why not....
Why not indeed? Bring it on!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:55 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of the knee jerk reactions to retirement age dates is unacceptable. Men have been complaining for years about the original 5 year discrepancy, especially as they used to die before their women.

With the way pensions are being chopped up for toilet paper by employers and the agism where anyone older than 55 is unlikely to get a job everyone should be allowed time to plan for their future penury as a pensioner.

Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:48 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Stevie, who will employ all the oldies?

The over 60's will be condemned to work in B&Q and stocking shelves in Tesco. They will all have to suffer from bad backs and depression and go on invalidity benefit
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino

With the way pensions are being chopped up for toilet paper by employers and the agism where anyone older than 55 is unlikely to get a job everyone should be allowed time to plan for their future penury as a pensioner.

That's fine, but you could give some any amount of time and they aren't going to be able to find the money, many are struggling to live now as it is, without trying to save money. Like you, and Call me Dave, I have no idea where these jobs are going to be coming from, but the system is broke, it's unsustainable, something has to be done. Whatever path we go down, it's going to be unpalatable, and I don't see why women should retire 5 years before men, so for me, it's as good a place to start as any.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Retirement is a scary prospect now compared to 20years ago - maybe because I am getting nearer to it and know its going to be tough.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brummie61
Retirement is a scary prospect now compared to 20years ago - maybe because I am getting nearer to it and know its going to be tough.
Is it fair for women though - no idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.