Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Member with Questions about Marbella

New Member with Questions about Marbella

Old Jun 29th 2013, 1:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Member with Questions about Marbella

I have a new member who is unsure of how to use forums and post etc. So I've said I would post their question for them on their behalf. If anyone can share any tips and hints that would be great.

Thanks so much you lot rock!!!

Ok, here is the message:

"I live with my husband in Koh Samui and have been retired for 3 years now coming from the UK.

We are fed up with the roads and its time to move back nearer home and spain seems to be the best choice for us.

Our questions really are where is best and I can see its up to us so we are thinking Marbella.

We want to rent long term and as soon as we have sold up here, we are off with just two suitcases for the next stage of our life.

We would like to be in touch with anyone who also lives in Marbella who can give advice as to where to rent best and if they know of any good agents we could get in touch with. Also advice on doctors, medical fees (if any), shopping.

We also want to ask if we can buy lemongrass locally, chillies, kaffir lime leaves and other asian foods. as we are totally hooked on Thai food."
Old Jun 29th 2013, 2:31 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member with Questions about Marbella

Originally Posted by Sue
I have a new member who is unsure of how to use forums and post etc. So I've said I would post their question for them on their behalf. If anyone can share any tips and hints that would be great.

Thanks so much you lot rock!!!

Ok, here is the message:

"I live with my husband in Koh Samui and have been retired for 3 years now coming from the UK.

We are fed up with the roads and its time to move back nearer home and spain seems to be the best choice for us.

Our questions really are where is best and I can see its up to us so we are thinking Marbella.

We want to rent long term and as soon as we have sold up here, we are off with just two suitcases for the next stage of our life.

We would like to be in touch with anyone who also lives in Marbella who can give advice as to where to rent best and if they know of any good agents we could get in touch with. Also advice on doctors, medical fees (if any), shopping.

We also want to ask if we can buy lemongrass locally, chillies, kaffir lime leaves and other asian foods. as we are totally hooked on Thai food."
sorry that I can´t help about Marbella, I don´t know the area, but there are a quite a few on here that do, some still live there and others are back in the UK but still visit.

I am sure they will be along soon if they can tear themselves away from Wimbledon.

I would just like to say HI, and welcome to BE.

Me me
Old Jun 29th 2013, 8:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member with Questions about Marbella

from my small experience of Thailand I think there will be one hell of a cultural shock

Thai's are IME helpful, kindly people who have no problem in stopping what they are doing to help.
I am not saying the Spanish are not like that, but the way of life is poles apart. And the Brits - well, we all know how stand offish they can be.

Considering that Malayisa/Singapore was an option for my retirement after living out there for 5 years I can see they will see a difference.
It isn't exactly the place you can come and visit for a weekend or even a week and hope to find things out. So would suggest that lots of internet time (the old Yellow Pages - Let your fingers do the walking) and also start to make "friends" on various forums. But not to cut the ties (no pun intended) too soon.

hth