New mast on CE

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 2:18 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New mast on CE

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Oops, looks like I stirred a hornets nest. Sorry, sorry, sorry if I doubted your calculations - sloppy wordage and I should have used multiquote but I've only just learnt how to do that. I was basing my reply on Barry's practical experience of 700Gb per hour and 90hrs per month which would be around 3 hrs per day using 4G.

Mike J

BTW Yout soon?
Hi Mike

Not at all... no problem. I was also surprised by Barry's experience, which is why I mentioned that there was some compression stuff, (or something) that he mentioned, (and I don't use e.g with the slingbox)

You are an expert on this stuff and so I thought I'd re-run the calcs through you - as on second thought I realised I didn't need to find the original post - but just do the numbers.

When I check the amount downloaded which on my PC which comes up in one click, it seems to agree approximately with the 1GB = 1 min per day.

Yes out v soon... lets mail to see if we are in the same place at the same time.

Cheers

Jon
Old Sep 26th 2016, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

ALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond reputeALVALVA has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the technical advantages, it creates a problem and this is the facility that have made and installed machinery, make a loud noise, which perfectly heard in the neighboring houses, especially at night continuously.
Nobody is going to require external insulation of the plant to avoid transmission of noise?

Alberto
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ALVALVA
Apart from the technical advantages, it creates a problem and this is the facility that have made and installed machinery, make a loud noise, which perfectly heard in the neighboring houses, especially at night continuously.
Nobody is going to require external insulation of the plant to avoid transmission of noise?

Alberto
Following a mention of noise at the CERA MEETING ON Saturday I went today right up to and around the mast. The only noise I could detect was the generator which is a modern encapsulated industrial unit rated at 92 decibels. I could not hear it on the road below the mast walking round the mast I could hear it but did not find it loud. I live in direct line of sight to the mast and I have not heard it at all even if the wind is blowing directly east into the front of our house. If houses on Lomas can hear it I would be surprised.

It would be simple to erect a short length of motorway noise barrier between the mast and the generator to kill any noise blown south toward them.

The current location is supposed to be temporary before a move up to the water plant where of course it would be connected to the mains supply which would remove any noise. We should press for that move to take place as soon as possible!
Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

christruter is on a distinguished road

I know that residents in La Colina, right next to the water plant, will certainly not want the mast moved!

It's probably best where it is now.

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Following a mention of noise at the CERA MEETING ON Saturday I went today right up to and around the mast. The only noise I could detect was the generator which is a modern encapsulated industrial unit rated at 92 decibels. I could not hear it on the road below the mast walking round the mast I could hear it but did not find it loud. I live in direct line of sight to the mast and I have not heard it at all even if the wind is blowing directly east into the front of our house. If houses on Lomas can hear it I would be surprised.

It would be simple to erect a short length of motorway noise barrier between the mast and the generator to kill any noise blown south toward them.

The current location is supposed to be temporary before a move up to the water plant where of course it would be connected to the mains supply which would remove any noise. We should press for that move to take place as soon as possible!
Old Sep 28th 2016, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Fred R will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hmmm.... Next week is an anniversary for me, I retired and got my last paycheck on 30/9 a few years back. That means I am surely rusty and not so much in touch. But as a qualified scientist & engineer surely my maths hasn't also all gone?

Mike you are highly qualified expert in this stuff, so perhaps you can help me.

There are 60 seconds in a minute, yes?
There are 1000 KB in a megabyte, yes? (See PS)
There are 1000 MB in a gigabyte. Yes? (See PS)
We can assume 30 days in a month, yes? (It's a rule of thumb after all)

Now one can go 2 ways here, calculate down from this, but I'll go up.

My Slingbox needs 600 KB/s STEADY STATE internet to stream SD.

600 x60 KB a minute, data downloaded, yes?
600 x60 x30 data downloaded in a month, yes?

= 1,080,000 KB. = 1080MB = 1.08 GB which is 1 minute a day, 30 days a month.

If you answered 'yes' to all the above questions, then you will agree that my rule of thumb is pretty much perfect i.e you need a Gig of download for a minute a day of TV (SD).

Going 'down' from 1GB gives you 1 min/day at 555KB/s.

Have I still got some of my marbles left?
Jon

PS if you are a QI fan you may argue the 1000 vs 1024, but its a rule of thumb after all.
PPS the best internet speed tester is TestMy.net Broadband Internet Speed Test for streaming as it measures a steady state. Others test the peak speed, which isnt the best for streaming
PPPS from Slingbox, quote, Slingbox.com - Recommended bandwidths for optimal video quality
support.slingbox.com › en-US
SD streaming, 600 Kbps (or higher)

Hi Jon,

Just a wee comment .... at the end of your piece you correctly quoted the recommended 600kbps bandwidth for SD streaming a Slingbox (models M1/M2, 500 and 350) but your calculation was based on 600 KB/s ...... and Bs need multiple bs ....... not doubting your maths, of course !!

Regards
Old Sep 29th 2016, 6:27 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred R
Hi Jon,

Just a wee comment .... at the end of your piece you correctly quoted the recommended 600kbps bandwidth for SD streaming a Slingbox (models M1/M2, 500 and 350) but your calculation was based on 600 KB/s ...... and Bs need multiple bs ....... not doubting your maths, of course !!

Regards

Hi Fred, Please feel free to doubt my maths... Even I mentioned that my maths could be 'suspect' in the earlier post. One of my personal niggling worries, is that I'm losing my edge now that I'm no longer in the cut'n'thrust of the workplace. These sorts of things remind me that I might be slipping into 'mindless senility' Hence my post.

Though I've never regretted retirement, around anniversary times (like tomorrow's 30/9 one) I 'notice' things. Like ever-increasing 'senior moments', enough even to mention it to my doc on a recent check up. Good news from that is that even though the mind maybe slipping, the body is struggling on fine - even the liver!!

But I soon forget all that (as well!!) when I am sitting at one of the multitude of gorgeous places, all around the Ayamonte areas, and environs, cold beer in hand, chatting with friends, looking at the wonderful views . The conclusion is that it is better on balance to be fat, dumb..... And happy

Back to your point, have I got the bytes wrong? Meaning I could be orders of magnitude wrong? Is my rule of thumb wrong? Which would also question both mine and Barry's practical observations.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 29th 2016 at 6:40 am.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 6:53 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by christruter
I know that residents in La Colina, right next to the water plant, will certainly not want the mast moved!

It's probably best where it is now.
I'll keep out of the debate of where the 'best' place is as it all depends on where you live!!

But for the first time I noticed under Chris' name there is a box allowing you to send a message via Skype. So it seems we have an extra way to 'PM' i.e through the forum and also, now, with Skype.

I'm personally happy to stick with the forum-PM and hope this isn't a forerunner to it being switched off, but curious to know how to set this Skype capability up.

Can you or someone explain how its done, please?

Thanks

Jon
Old Oct 1st 2016, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sue and Barry will become famous soon enoughSue and Barry will become famous soon enough

Hi Fred, Please feel free to doubt my maths... Even I mentioned that my maths could be 'suspect' in the earlier post. One of my personal niggling worries, is that I'm losing my edge now that I'm no longer in the cut'n'thrust of the workplace. These sorts of things remind me that I might be slipping into 'mindless senility' Hence my post.

Though I've never regretted retirement, around anniversary times (like tomorrow's 30/9 one) I 'notice' things. Like ever-increasing 'senior moments', enough even to mention it to my doc on a recent check up. Good news from that is that even though the mind maybe slipping, the body is struggling on fine - even the liver!!

But I soon forget all that (as well!!) when I am sitting at one of the multitude of gorgeous places, all around the Ayamonte areas, and environs, cold beer in hand, chatting with friends, looking at the wonderful views . The conclusion is that it is better on balance to be fat, dumb..... And happy

Back to your point, have I got the bytes wrong? Meaning I could be orders of magnitude wrong? Is my rule of thumb wrong? Which would also question both mine and Barry's practical observations.

Jon
Hi Jon,

That's interesting. I was watching F1 qualifying again this morning and it was using about 700MB per hour, as before. Fortunately my 4G Vodafone MiFi reports the actual send and receive rates in real time, so I can monitor the throughput reasonably accurately. In 3 hours it received 2.1GB of data and sent 48MB of data.

So, your Slingbox sends data at 600kbps, assuming 8 bits per Byte that becomes 75kB per second.
Multiply by 60 and that becomes 4500kB per minute or approx 4.5MB per minute. (assuming 1000kB per MB)
So multiply by 60 again and that becomes 270MB per hour. Much less than my 700MB per hour actual usage.

I guess we would need to add something for overheads and retransmission due to packet loss, but I'd be surprised if that nearly doubles it. Do you have a way of measuring the actual throughput from your Slingbox?

-Barry

Last edited by Sue and Barry; Oct 1st 2016 at 2:07 pm. Reason: Mis-post
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 10:11 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Sue and Barry
Hi Jon,

That's interesting. I was watching F1 qualifying again this morning and it was using about 700MB per hour, as before. Fortunately my 4G Vodafone MiFi reports the actual send and receive rates in real time, so I can monitor the throughput reasonably accurately. In 3 hours it received 2.1GB of data and sent 48MB of data.

So, your Slingbox sends data at 600kbps, assuming 8 bits per Byte that becomes 75kB per second.
Multiply by 60 and that becomes 4500kB per minute or approx 4.5MB per minute. (assuming 1000kB per MB)
So multiply by 60 again and that becomes 270MB per hour. Much less than my 700MB per hour actual usage.

I guess we would need to add something for overheads and retransmission due to packet loss, but I'd be surprised if that nearly doubles it. Do you have a way of measuring the actual throughput from your Slingbox?

-Barry
Hi Barry

Earlier we were seeing about a 3x difference and so I assumed that it was due to compression, or 'something' so the maths agree therefore.

Why you are getting more bang for the buck is outside my tech level. My slingbox sends streaming video, for which they say I need 600KB/S as above. But I am not sure if it is bytes or bits, and Fred pointed that out, but I am sure you are right.

I am at home now so it isnt connected - but will be in CE soon, so will have it hooked up and I can see if there is any monitoring (off the top of my head I dont think so).

My rule of thumb seems to work for me in reality with MY set up (no compression etc.)

Thanks again

Jon
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: New mast on CE

Getting back to the mast.
The people living at the top of Lomas can Definitely hear the generator .
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 1:26 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
Is it a bother though?

It 'sounds like' (pun intended) that it will move 'soon' (Spanish time) near Las Colinas, but from Chris' post, they don't want it there.

But if I understood it right, when it moves it won't have the noisy generator there, as it would be connected to the 'mains supply' ..... so maybe, after all, its the 'best' compromise (sorry Chris)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Jon
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: New mast on CE

Is it a bother though?

It 'sounds like' (pun intended) that it will move 'soon' (Spanish time) near Las Colinas, but from Chris' post, they don't want it there.

But if I understood it right, when it moves it won't have the noisy generator there, as it would be connected to the 'mains supply' ..... so maybe, after all, its the 'best' compromise (sorry Chris)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Jon
It's annoying ,like a lazy bumblebee droning around your head.
But this is 24/7 .The generator and what I guess is the diesel tank underneath it is not fenced off. I'm surprised someone hasn't siphoned off some already.(Heaven forbid!)
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 2:44 pm
BE Positive

It's annoying ,like a lazy bumblebee droning around your head.
But this is 24/7 .The generator and what I guess is the diesel tank underneath it is not fenced off. I'm surprised someone hasn't siphoned off some already.(Heaven forbid!)
Yes I understand the frustration of that constant, mechanical drone.

I love the 'drone' of say a tumbling river .......... or the sea and can even sleep much better with that as a background, but that's a natural sound.

Re the siphoning..... hmmmmm..... time to nick a bit of hose and a bucket for my diesel car Good thinking

Will get my stripey shirt on and my bag marked with 'swag' to put the bucket in

Jon

Jon
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Re the siphoning..... hmmmmm..... time to nick a bit of hose and a bucket for my diesel car Good thinking

Will get my stripey shirt on and my bag marked with 'swag' to put the bucket in

Jon

Jon
Best get your skates on,there's a queue forming already!
What have I done! Me and my big mouth.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Its most odd people want the latest 4G signal at a good strength all across Esuri without roaming to Portugal at great cost to get it but nobody wants a mast! That's life I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.