Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Indian restaurant in Sayalonga. Waheeeyyyyyyyyy

New Indian restaurant in Sayalonga. Waheeeyyyyyyyyy

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Indian restaurant in Sayalonga. Waheeeyyyyyyyyy

Well our curry prayers have been answered and we've only been here 3 weeks. A new Indian restaurant opened up in Sayalonga last friday. We thought we spotted the sign on saturday while driving past the village. Wandered over to confirm yesterday when picking up the post and tried it out last night.

As we normally do when trying a new Indian we chose our reference dishes, chicken jalfreizi, lamb rogon josh and bombay aloo. The food was excellent, not stupidly expensive and decent sized servings. All in all a fine indian dining experience and we will certainly be regulars.

Their location is on the main road, just as you start to skirt the main part of the village, 50 yards or so before the panaderia. The sign outside says Casa Indian although the menus have a different name on them beginning with N the rest of which escapes me at the moment. Apparently they have moved up from Torre del Mar

Usual disclaimer, no connection etc etc, just a curry fan pleased that I can now get my fix locally.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:52 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New Indian restaurant in Sayalonga. Waheeeyyyyyyyyy

Sounds like one to try, thanks
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bob is this restaurant where the old yukkie brown one that was empty for ages was, that's just down from the panderia. Will have to try it next time we're over.
Bob
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

Could not believe it when we saw it on Saturday but there was traffic behind us so could not stop.
What are the prices like - example please?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emsirrah
Could not believe it when we saw it on Saturday but there was traffic behind us so could not stop.
What are the prices like - example please?
We had our new restaurant reference dishes of chicken jalfreizi, lamb rogon josh, bombay aloo, 2 x roti, pillau rice, 2 x heineken and 2 x coke light. Bill was 28 euros. Good size portions leaving us relieved that we hadn't ordered a starter. I think the jalfreizi was 10.5 and the rogon 8.5.

Excellent meal and we will become regulars. I think the biggest problem will be resisting using it too often and blowing our healthy eating regime that we seem to have adopted since moving here.

We did bring home a take away menu but seem to have lost it between leaving the restaurant and arriving home, a whole 2Kms... Could be in the car but it's a steep drive :-)
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
Hi Bob is this restaurant where the old yukkie brown one that was empty for ages was, that's just down from the panderia. Will have to try it next time we're over.
Bob
Hi Bob

That's the one. Frances noticed the sign out of the corner off her eye when we drove past on sat, and man did she woop.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bob_day
We had our new restaurant reference dishes of chicken jalfreizi, lamb rogon josh, bombay aloo, 2 x roti, pillau rice, 2 x heineken and 2 x coke light. Bill was 28 euros. Good size portions leaving us relieved that we hadn't ordered a starter. I think the jalfreizi was 10.5 and the rogon 8.5.

Excellent meal and we will become regulars. I think the biggest problem will be resisting using it too often and blowing our healthy eating regime that we seem to have adopted since moving here.

We did bring home a take away menu but seem to have lost it between leaving the restaurant and arriving home, a whole 2Kms... Could be in the car but it's a steep drive :-)

Thanks for the reply - will give it a try when we are next in Sayalonga.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

never eat a curry in my life.never will
Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

You really don't know what you are missing. There is nothing better than a properly cooked Indian meal.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:35 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emsirrah
You really don't know what you are missing. There is nothing better than a properly cooked Indian meal.
Oh yes there is, one you cook yourself with your own spices in Spain. ;-))
Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Oh yes there is, one you cook yourself with your own spices in Spain. ;-))
Is it easy to get spices for curry in supermarkets in Southern part of Spain
(Quesada/Alicante)?
Old Jun 27th 2009, 3:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's not easy. Most supermarkets will stock Cumin, Turmeric and Chilli and if you are lucky, Coriander. Fresh Ginger and Coriander is usually available but, strangely, fresh chillies are not so easy to find but it seems to have improved recently.

There are a few Oriental shops around but they can be hard to find.

North African ingredients are easier, particularly on the CDS as there is a clear demand for them.

Mail order is possible but shipping costs are high unless you want to buy a lot. The best bet is to stock up when you return to the UK.

I have just ordered a load of spices to be delivered to a friend in the UK from www.spicesofindia.co.uk - very large range and very cheap but £16 delivery to Spain.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 4:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, it's not easy. Most supermarkets will stock Cumin, Turmeric and Chilli and if you are lucky, Coriander. Fresh Ginger and Coriander is usually available but, strangely, fresh chillies are not so easy to find but it seems to have improved recently.

There are a few Oriental shops around but they can be hard to find.

North African ingredients are easier, particularly on the CDS as there is a clear demand for them.

Mail order is possible but shipping costs are high unless you want to buy a lot. The best bet is to stock up when you return to the UK.

I have just ordered a load of spices to be delivered to a friend in the UK from www.spicesofindia.co.uk - very large range and very cheap but £16 delivery to Spain.
Or look in the Spanish markets on the Spice/sweets/dried fruit Stall. ;-))
You can grow chillies yourself.
Carrefour and Muckydonna do fresh ginger, well here they do.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 5:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Or look in the Spanish markets on the Spice/sweets/dried fruit Stall. ;-))
You can grow chillies yourself.
Carrefour and Muckydonna do fresh ginger, well here they do.
Yes, I have been growing my own chillies for some time now - I'm trying out some Jalapeños this year - not Indian but nice all the same! They all freeze really well.

Lemon Grass grows well here - if you can find a starter plant! Mine now look like Elephant Grass.

We buy fresh Coriander in the local market - I have tried and tried to grow it from seeds and plants but it always seems to bolt to seed.

I have looked at the spice stalls but they do seem pricey though and only have the basics.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Thanks Fred & Jdr for the info. It looks like I've to grow some of them. I like Jalapeños too. Instead of having all these spices separately, can you buy curry powder in Spain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.