Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New high speed train link Paris to Madrid

New high speed train link Paris to Madrid

Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:32 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default New high speed train link Paris to Madrid

From 2012 it may only take five and a half hours between the two capitals. Plus you'll be able then to travel from London to Madrid in about 8 hours.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6935513.ece

Mmm. Not sure about this one, over longer distances the plane journey is going to be cheaper and quicker. These high speed trains are superb for routes such as the forthcoming Madrid-Valencia service. But time will tell..
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

jalla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New high speed train link Paris to Madrid

Interesting,

Historically Spain was isolated from international Rail traffic due to their unique track width, I'd love to know how they solve that!

Yalla
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:32 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jalla
Interesting,

Historically Spain was isolated from international Rail traffic due to their unique track width, I'd love to know how they solve that!

Yalla
Already solved my friend!

Unlike the rest of the Spanish broad-gauge network, the AVE uses standard gauge, permitting direct connections outside Spain in the future.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
From 2012 it may only take five and a half hours between the two capitals. Plus you'll be able then to travel from London to Madrid in about 8 hours.
These times are fairly reasonable considering what it 'actually' takes for the same on a flight... also eliminate the stress caused by checkin, customs and at times delays it sounds like a good alternative.

Funny but I am sure I heard on the radio today something about a travel agent actually pushing rail travel between the UK and Spain. It wouldn't work for me as such a time saver as I don't go to the mainland whenever I go back, but if I was around or near the London area and the price was in line with a flight I think this is something I might look at.

Last edited by Econ; Dec 2nd 2009 at 9:15 pm.