Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Government on Mallorca

New Government on Mallorca

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future
Default New Government on Mallorca

Seems that this new coalition, a little left wing perhaps, have decided to cancel all building and development on the Island.

Particularly, all marina projects are on hold, and it could even affect the marina extension at Port Adriano which was signed off recently by Madrid.

Even the new skate park near Magaluf is cancelled!

Just chatter at this stage, but people here are a little concerned I think. Values of property have been rising in Nova Santa Ponsa on the strength on the new marina project with all the new shops, cafes and restaurants promised.

Martin
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Government on Mallorca

On the other hand at least they are thinking about the over development of a very pretty Island.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:03 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Matt on the building , we dont want it ruined . lets hope they keep new builds cancelled for ever
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

You do have to improve the Island otherwise people will stop coming.

I believe I am right in saying that the marina industry brings in 500 million Euro per year for Mallorca, with many jobs for locals.

Do you think those people would be here if thay had to moor the boat by attaching a line to a tree?

Martin
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:01 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrcusa
You do have to improve the Island otherwise people will stop coming.

I believe I am right in saying that the marina industry brings in 500 million Euro per year for Mallorca, with many jobs for locals.

Do you think those people would be here if thay had to moor the boat by attaching a line to a tree?

Martin
True, but over development and the country looks like the rest of the costas, and the pollution from marinas is quite considerable.

Mallorca was starting to focus on Eco tourism, a far more profitable form of tourism that the short sighted form encouraged for so long.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
and the pollution from marinas is quite considerable.
I don't think that actually start the engines do they?

They just sit at the stern with glasses of alcohol in their hands!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:23 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by mrcusa
I don't think that actually start the engines do they?

They just sit at the stern with glasses of alcohol in their hands!
flushing their toilets, oil, and god only knows what else into the marina....nice.