Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NEW TO THE COSTA DEL SOL

NEW TO THE COSTA DEL SOL

Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

beverleyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEW TO THE COSTA DEL SOL

Hello everyone - my husband and I (in our fifties) are looking forward to our imminent arrival on the Costa del Sol. We'll be renting a place in Alhaurin de la Torre for 6 weeks whilst we find our semi-perm abode. Are looking forward to meeting lots of you and would also be interested in any info/tips and purchasing any language/info books or cds anyone has finished with.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEW TO THE COSTA DEL SOL

Originally Posted by beverleyp
Hello everyone - my husband and I (in our fifties) are looking forward to our imminent arrival on the Costa del Sol. We'll be renting a place in Alhaurin de la Torre for 6 weeks whilst we find our semi-perm abode. Are looking forward to meeting lots of you and would also be interested in any info/tips and purchasing any language/info books or cds anyone has finished with.
Hi, welcome; if you're arriving now or very soon you've thankfully seen the back of the most awfully wet & dismal winter........I think! (never like to assume the weather's changed this year)
Once you're settled get yourselves booked into whatever your Ayuntamiento offers in the way of free Spanish lessons, that's one of the better ways of improving (picking up) your language.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Tomato-Tomatoe is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd agree with that! They usually run very cheap courses which will hopefully give you immediate confidence in speaking Spanish! The main thing is not to be shy. They love triers far more than those who don't!

I don't have any books I can spare (there is always more to learn!), but once you have a grasp of the basics i'd certainly recommend getting a copy of the "501 Spanish Verb's" book! Essential (if daunting!) reading.

Never underestimate how much better your life will improve with every new word/phrase you learn!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 3:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beverleyp
Go to the carboots and buy the childrens picture dictionary books etc and work up from there.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Go to the carboots and buy the childrens picture dictionary books etc and work up from there.
way better than trying to learn from 501 Spanish Verbs

that really is just a reference book - wouldn't be without it though