Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Claims for Disability Living Allowance

New Claims for Disability Living Allowance

Old Jun 30th 2010, 12:12 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Claims for Disability Living Allowance

Originally Posted by JLFS
surely if the government plans to got a large percentage off health benfits, some of those that are recatagorised will be expats.

Surely not all have illnesses that render them being unfit for work FOREVER , so when they are reassessed I am sure that more than a few lead swingers will be found out, forced onto jobseekers. End of life in Spain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-speed-up.html
It does not have to be the end of your life in Spain, as even if you are chucked off Incapacity or Disability benefits, you do not have to sign up for Jobseekers' Allowance. Indeed, both IB and DLA allow one to have alternative income as they are not means-tested (apart from IB and an Occupational Pension, even then the disregard is generous); with DLA you can even work full-time. So you might have a pension/salary/partner's income/huge savings even if you have been on these benefits and therefore even if you lose them will not be 'forced' to claim JSA.

My husband claims IB but also has aTeachers' Pension and I have my State Pension; were his IB to be taken off him we could still manage financially. He would not claim JSA, in fact would not get anything if he did as JSA IS means-tested and our income would be too high to receive it.

So, no more scaremongering comments about it being 'the end of your life in Spain'. For many people it will not be.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 12:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crustycrab
I merely posted an up-date of the progress of my DLA submission. If you care to look into the qualifications and back-ground of Mr David R Burrage (Google him), you will know why "I am so cock sure". He is the co-founder of the British Expats Association (Spain), the biggest of its kind anywhere in the world. And no one has as much knowledge as this man.

Maybe someone will post and verify who knows him.

Like I said, I was merely posting an update, but did expect some of these replies.
I guess the education system in UK is not that good. Actually it´s spelt Burrage. and he is a man who has forgotten more things than most have learnt.
Ahh yes, I remember ... the Britsh Expats association
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518291

Are they the people that caused you all to lose your residence cards?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

do you think he could help me get some benefit from the NI contributions paid for out of money I earned.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has my sympathy, looks like life has dealt her some sh1tty cards, however I'm still struggling to understand how the UK makes a net gain out of her. It pays her NI contributions, it pays her her IB, which she spends in Spain, where is this net gain coming from? Enlighten me!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:39 pm
Banned

crustycrab is an unknown quantity at this point

The expats on this forum are a cross section of British folk, and as you can see feelings run high about benefits, all on here (or most) have had to finance thier move themselves, with house sale, pension or savings, or are working and paying into the SS.

If there seems to be a backlash aginst claimants from the -expat coumminity I imagine that it will be worse felt by the UK population, who have no chance of leaving the UK even if the wanted to, for lack of funds or whatever, especially if they are paying their taxes.
We had to sell our house, pay 50,000 euros in dead money to solicitors etc and have a mortgage for the next 30 years. So by the time the house is paid of I will probably be dead. You lot who think it is a life-long holiday can think again. Bills still have to be paid, books and stationary have to been paid for use in the school (I believe it´s free in UK). Believe there is no free ride living in Spain.

If I moved back to UK with my two children, I could apply for every benefit under the sun, as I am sure most of you who have negative posts DO. So what do I do, stay in Spain and the UK Government pay little, or come back to UK and be a DRAIN on the UK.

I do understand the people who live in UK are resentful of ex-pats but it is our choice to move, we finance our own homes, have a mortgage like many others (there is no free council houses here, housing benefit, council tax benefit etc).
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by scampicat
It does not have to be the end of your life in Spain, as even if you are chucked off Incapacity or Disability benefits, you do not have to sign up for Jobseekers' Allowance. Indeed, both IB and DLA allow one to have alternative income as they are not means-tested (apart from IB and an Occupational Pension, even then the disregard is generous); with DLA you can even work full-time. So you might have a pension/salary/partner's income/huge savings even if you have been on these benefits and therefore even if you lose them will not be 'forced' to claim JSA.

My husband claims IB but also has aTeachers' Pension and I have my State Pension; were his IB to be taken off him we could still manage financially. He would not claim JSA, in fact would not get anything if he did as JSA IS means-tested and our income would be too high to receive it.

So, no more scaremongering comments about it being 'the end of your life in Spain'. For many people it will not be.
Bravo well said, people in the UK live life in an "insulated island". The UK should not have joined the EU Community if most of the UK citizens have this uneducated attitude. After hearing what many people have to say from the UK, (my home) I would much prefer to live amongst friendly people, rather than ignorant people whos comments, at the end of the day, amount to nothing more than SOUR GRAPES. Only my humble opinion.

Seek out the DWP and ask them about benefits abroad. Ask them who is entitled and who is not.

Last edited by crustycrab; Jun 30th 2010 at 1:50 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
The OP has my sympathy, looks like life has dealt her some sh1tty cards, however I'm still struggling to understand how the UK makes a net gain out of her. It pays her NI contributions, it pays her her IB, which she spends in Spain, where is this net gain coming from? Enlighten me!
My Incapacity Benefit pay my NI Contributions. I do not know much about the net gain question.

So shall I come back to UK and get a free house, CB, CTC, council tax benefits, JSA, ESA (what ever they are) and be a drain on the UK or shall I stay here and it will cost less. 50/50 or phone a friend.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:06 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

So shall I come back to UK and get a free house, CB, CTC, council tax benefits, JSA, ESA (what ever they are) and be a drain on the UK or shall I stay here and it will cost less. 50/50 or phone a friend.
Its a bit ofr a myth that it works like that in the UK, but at least in the UK, any benefits you would receive would go back into the country as you spend money there

Jo xxx
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:06 pm
Banned

What you say maybe true about the British opinion of expats, but even with all the negatives of living in Spain, the british voting public facing cuts themselves must be appeased by the powers that be.

Taking your own personal situation out of the equation, surely you can see how there is a lot of resentment, you must read the press and see the comments about expats and benefits.
I am able to vote in the UK.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Its a bit ofr a myth that it works like that in the UK, but at least in the UK, any benefits you would receive would go back into the country as you spend money there

Jo xxx
Fortunately, I have never been out of work, until I became ill, when I lived in the UK, so have never had to claim "dole money etc". But as far as I am aware I believe it not to be a "myth". Why do you think the country has got into such a financial state to begin with. Mr Brown getting too generous with people needing help with free handouts because they are lazy sods who want to produce baby after baby and most of them are under 16 so they can a free house.

So am I to assume that everyone who lives in the UK goes on holiday in the UK. because otherwise they would be spending their money in another country. What about all the tourists that come to Spain for a 2 week holiday, do they not spend money here, thus contributing to the running of the Spanish economy
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ahh yes, I remember ... the Britsh Expats association
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518291

Are they the people that caused you all to lose your residence cards?
Yes he did, we didn´t need them. And actually the card has been replaced by "paper" document. Thus costing the Spanish Government less money in production costs.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dunmovin
do you think he could help me get some benefit from the NI contributions paid for out of money I earned.
Going by your previous posts, are you not richer than the Sultan of Bruni. As you do brag a lot.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Yes he did, we didn´t need them. And actually the card has been replaced by "paper" document. Thus costing the Spanish Government less money in production costs.
Your latest postings can only serve to illustrate that you are IMO deliberately creating arguments.

There surely can be nobody who will agree with you on the matter of card v paper.

Last edited by whitelinen; Jun 30th 2010 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:25 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Your latest posting can only serve to illustrate that you are IMO deliberately creating arguments.

There surely can be nobody who will agree with you on this matter.
I think we can agree it probably does cost the Spanish govt less

but it's still not as useful as the old card
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:26 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Your latest posting can only serve to illustrate that you are IMO deliberately creating arguments.

There surely can be nobody who will agree with you on this matter.
I have to agree! I dont think they'll be many crossed fingers on your behalf from the forum I'm afraid, but I bid you well

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.