British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   New car or register our UK car? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/new-car-register-our-uk-car-933443/)

Peterval257 Jun 27th 2020 11:51 am

New car or register our UK car?

Would it be better to just go for a new car , or re-register our UK car , i have heard that that process is quite expensive , any advice would be a great help , also do any members who drive a UK car have any problems driving over in Spain ?.Thanks Peter

Dxf Jun 27th 2020 4:54 pm

Re: New car or register our UK car?

Hola

You are looking at 600€ plus the costs of headlights and possibly rear lights to rematriculate your car in Spain. I always ask the question, "Have you owned the car for the last couple of years and are you happy to run it for the next couple of years"? If you have any doubts, get rid of the car-

To sell the car you are looking at a loss, balance the figures your way.

Davexf

Loafing Along Jun 27th 2020 4:55 pm

Spanish dealers awash with cars at the moment, good time to buy with significant discount

missile Jun 28th 2020 6:29 am

I drove to Spain in my VW Polo, kept in for a few months until I took delivery of my new Spanish car.

I managed to sell the Polo for what I expected to achieve selling in the UK.

spainrico Jun 28th 2020 8:20 am

Spanish car every time - never regretted my decision to sell mine in the UK and buy here. New if budget permits then you have a guarantee and no ITV (MOT) for 4 years. (Then every 2 until car is 10 years old)

Peterval257 Jun 28th 2020 9:12 am

Thanks to all who replied to my question , it helped a great deal. Peter

teuchterpete Jun 28th 2020 4:45 pm

I moved here permenantly in 2016 with a two year old Fiesta. with the idea of rematriculation. I soon realised that it would be easier to take it back to the UK sell it there and get a Spanish one here. Which I did. Driving with the steering wheel on the " wrong side" is definately inconvenient to say the least, and after two attempts to break into it, ( it could have been coincidence) on day trips to the coast I decided enough was enough.
Pete.

Barriej Jun 29th 2020 1:31 pm

The other point to remember is the pain of toll roads, airport car park and in our case the pad to the underground garage when in the car alone. Having the steering wheel on the wrong side causes all sorts of problems.

Second hand cars are dearer in spain, but they are usually in better nick as there won't be any rust. There will be paint damage, scuffed bumpers etc.

Lmj2018 Jun 29th 2020 2:21 pm

As you can see, personal choice really. I brought my Mercedes ’ B class over. I got it for a good price in the uk. Same Lhd model here, same age, nearly double the price. Cost 870€ to matriculate. For me that was by far the best option.

bob_day Jul 2nd 2020 4:29 pm

We brought our uk car over when we moved here years ago. Didn't regret it for one minute. No issues with rhd. And the price of second hand cars in Spain is simply outrageous, makes your
eyes water.