New car

Old Mar 31st 2009, 5:30 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New car

Originally Posted by brobert
hi,bigglesworth.ive been thinking about buying new in the uk and registering here in spain.one dealer said theywould supply LHD versions but have not got back to with a price.could you pm me please with the dealer you have.

also has anybody bought a LHD car in the uk and brought it over ? there are lots of LHD dealers but im a bit wary of using them.thanks
As stated above it would be not economically worthwhile purchasing a new LHD car outside of Spain as there are plenty of deals to be had in any local market right now..

But if you are purchasing a pre-owned LHD vehicle outside of Spain to import then there are still savings to be had but whatever you do only buy a UK Plated LHD car in the UK as that would protect you as much as possible in terms of not purchasing something stolen/previously written off.

However nothing is cast iron safe just like if you were buying a rhd pre-owned for use in the UK.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Zel,
I know you are THE expert, but my Spanish is not up to negotiating yet. I also have to have a car to get ourselves and animals over in. I am also adding in that I can sell my RHD over here. I will not have to pay to matriculate the Right Hand drive (although I will the new left hand). And I will not spend the cash to get the RHD fully roadworthy. Which probably adds up to about £3,000.

As the export departments and DVLA have told me, if one does this then one has 60 days during which the car can be driven on "VAT" plates, after which the car MUST be registered and VAT and all other taxes paid.
So what I plan to do is but in the UK 10 days before departure, and then get the gestor or whomever to matriculate on arrival.

As I understand I will then be liable for 16.5 percent of purchase price VAT plus 4.75 percent first registration (CO2 emissions are 153). Then whatever it costs to matriculate as well, which should I would imagine be less than for a right hand drive.

This looks like an additional 21.25 percent (which on the car I am looking at is about £3,500) plus say £500 for matriculation. Which altogether is about £5,000 less than the "official" Spanish price.

I would more happily buy a discounted car in Spain, but have had no luck trying to talk to dealers in my fractured Spanish. Any help, guidance willingly even eagerly received.

I agree the discrepancy will only last as long as the exchange rate stays.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

brobert is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Zel,
I know you are THE expert, but my Spanish is not up to negotiating yet. I also have to have a car to get ourselves and animals over in. I am also adding in that I can sell my RHD over here. I will not have to pay to matriculate the Right Hand drive (although I will the new left hand). And I will not spend the cash to get the RHD fully roadworthy. Which probably adds up to about £3,000.

As the export departments and DVLA have told me, if one does this then one has 60 days during which the car can be driven on "VAT" plates, after which the car MUST be registered and VAT and all other taxes paid.
So what I plan to do is but in the UK 10 days before departure, and then get the gestor or whomever to matriculate on arrival.

As I understand I will then be liable for 16.5 percent of purchase price VAT plus 4.75 percent first registration (CO2 emissions are 153). Then whatever it costs to matriculate as well, which should I would imagine be less than for a right hand drive.

This looks like an additional 21.25 percent (which on the car I am looking at is about £3,500) plus say £500 for matriculation. Which altogether is about £5,000 less than the "official" Spanish price.

I would more happily buy a discounted car in Spain, but have had no luck trying to talk to dealers in my fractured Spanish. Any help, guidance willingly even eagerly received.

I agree the discrepancy will only last as long as the exchange rate stays.
id buy second hand car here if i felt i knew what i was doing as well.in the uk i have some friends that know far more than me about cars who can go and check out used LHD cars for me.
am i right to assume that garages here offering guaranteed milage and vehicle history are a safe bet, but more expensive than compra y venta type places
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:41 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
. You could then keep it in UK for the 6mths ownership period and only have the Vat in Spain to pay.
You still have to pay the matriculation tax of up to 14.75% unless you register it within 60 days of becoming resident with the requisite documentation from the UK Embassy.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:20 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bigglesworth.

Thanks for the reply but being able to speak Spanish is neither here nor there in the current climate. If you spoke only Swahili and walked into a main agent in Spain most would accommodate you accordingly as they HAVE to get rid of not only their stock that they are CONTRACTED to buy every month but the also the THOUSANDS of finished cars sitting in storage facilities also.

Not to mention I've not yet found a main agent that does not have at least one member of the sales team that can speak enough English and thus it wouldn't be a problem at the best of times.

I'm not sure what vehicle you're interested in but in our experience of the German Marques you could call around a few main agent dealers, does not entirely have to be in your local area and say I want "x" for "y" price and see which one bites your hand off.

For example a friend of mine has just bought a brand new Ford Focus and secured 28% discount just by calling around Spanish main agent dealers.

It all depends on if you're confident and willing enough to do of calling around.

---

The DVLA is the last port of call for advice regarding a tax free export on an individual (not business) sale.

Customs & Excise are the people to talk to and I know as a VAT registered company we were allowed to buy stuff NET (without Tax) but due to massive amount of fraud around the EU they passed a law in the last 18th months that even we have to pay the LOCAL VAT/TAX on a vehicle and then claim it back.

And in Feb of this year I bought myself (privately) a BMW X6 from Holland which was one of the only countries that USED to be able to sell you a tax free car as a private owner and was made to pay the local tax and have it refunded upon proving that the vehicle was registered in the UK.

In my experience the DVLA will give you a completely different answer from each person you speak to so I would talk to (and get a reference number for the call) Custom & Exise and the Tax Free Sales department of the marque of vehicle you're buying.

Last edited by zel; Apr 1st 2009 at 9:23 am.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Zel, That is really kind and ~I am sure excellent advice!
I will give it a go, and see where I get!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Zel, That is really kind and ~I am sure excellent advice!
I will give it a go, and see where I get!
hi zel. i nearly bought a new nissan note a month ago.the price i got over the phone was 12,500 for a midspec car,about 4000 cheaper than advertised on nissans website. when i went to see it ,they didnt have the colour they had agreed on the phone and wanted another 600 for that colour.i said no and the salesman said he would have no problem selling the car anyway. the car is still there unsold, so im not sure he is desperate to sell ? another main dealer for a different make would only come down 500 euros across the entire range ,including a full spec with auto as an extra.its all vary confusing for someone like me who doesnt know much about buying cars.seems what your saying that you have to ring more than one dealer makes sense.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is an EU service under the Free Movement of Goods.

It is called "New Means of Transport" and thus enables any EU national to buy a new (or nearly new) car in any member state, and import it VAT deferred into the country where it is to be registered.
I had a very helpful conversation with the EU information office who provided the following link

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/e.../index_en.html <http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/en/citizens/living/car/tax/index_en.html>
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:00 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Reviving this thread as I have just read in the Times that here in Spain you can (and I quote) “In Spain there is a 0 per cent loan of up to €10,000 towards the purchase of a new car that is less than €30,000 in value and has C02 emissions of less than 140g/km”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6088148.ece

Has anyone else heard about this or is it just journalistic bullpoo?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Reviving this thread as I have just read in the Times that here in Spain you can (and I quote) “In Spain there is a 0 per cent loan of up to €10,000 towards the purchase of a new car that is less than €30,000 in value and has C02 emissions of less than 140g/km”

thats,true,i was offered that this week
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps this is something similar to the ICO loans
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:42 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

To add my tuppence worth

The DVLA can only speak for the UK. If you want to know about another countries laws, then ask that country.

If you buy a car, then if you have not owned it for 6 months you have to pay the "import tax" as it is not considered to be part of your "goods & chattels".

Some dealers will give more discount than others - for the sake a £20 in phone calls, ring around for english speaking car dealers who need to move their cars.

To import a car costs around 650 euros in fees depending upon the road tax; the fees of someone to help are on top of this.

Add to the costs above tyres if non european (american jeeps for example) and lights - both headlights and reversing / high intensity rear fog lights if not correct for LHD.

Davexf
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:14 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

thats,true,i was offered that this week

We read the newspapers on line and seem to have missed this bit of news so it is good to have had some confirmation.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

We read the newspapers on line and seem to have missed this bit of news so it is good to have had some confirmation.
just to pass on my buying experiences here in valencia.ive spent two days going to all the main dealers of the cars im looking at. ive only been able to get 120 euros off the price that they have discounted on their websites.these are new or km zero cars.

all i read and see on the tv says they are desperate to sell. i just cant see it, not one dealer was the slightest bit bothered. and my spanish friends did nearly all the talking so its not because they thought i was willing to spend more.
so im still looking.my friends have mostly been to germany to buy 2nd hand mercs because they have been so fed up with spanish dealers.not sure i can be bothered though.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

just to pass on my buying experiences here in valencia.ive spent two days going to all the main dealers of the cars im looking at. ive only been able to get 120 euros off the price that they have discounted on their websites.these are new or km zero cars.

all i read and see on the tv says they are desperate to sell. i just cant see it, not one dealer was the slightest bit bothered. and my spanish friends did nearly all the talking so its not because they thought i was willing to spend more.
so im still looking.my friends have mostly been to germany to buy 2nd hand mercs because they have been so fed up with spanish dealers.not sure i can be bothered though.
we had exactly the same expericence when buying 2nd hand and brand new from dealers in Spain....they really couldnt care less whether you bought from them or not and we walked out of so many showrooms amazed by their attitude

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.