British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   New bank account in Tenerife (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/new-bank-account-tenerife-927039/)

chrisjolly Aug 7th 2019 10:02 am

New bank account in Tenerife

Probably been discussed before but does anyone know how to open a bank account in Tenerife, Los Cristianos area, and any recommendations as to a good bank to use. Thank you.

Boseley Aug 7th 2019 11:07 am

Re: New bank account in Tenerife

Try a Tenerife forum, this one should help you, https://chalkcat.com

missile Aug 7th 2019 5:16 pm

Walk into the bank of your choice with your passport and evidence of your address.

chrisjolly Aug 8th 2019 9:35 am

Thank you for the suggestion but the website is not operating.

chrisjolly Aug 8th 2019 9:35 am

Thank you but which address..the one in Tenerife where we will be renting or our main home in Spain mainland?

Boseley Aug 8th 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by chrisjolly (Post 12720346)
Thank you for the suggestion but the website is not operating.

It works today, one of the members works or worked in a bank and lives near Los Cristianos.

chrisjolly Aug 11th 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boseley (Post 12720363)
It works today, one of the members works or worked in a bank and lives near Los Cristianos.

Thanks for trying but all I get is

Gateway Timeout

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.

Additionally, a 504 Gateway Timeout error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

missile Aug 13th 2019 5:15 am

Originally Posted by chrisjolly (Post 12720347)
Thank you but which address..the one in Tenerife where we will be renting or our main home in Spain mainland?

It matters not which address you use. If you already have a house on the mainland, presumably you already have a Spanish bank account registered there? Why would you want to open another in Tenerife?

If you do not have an account, it would seem sensible to open an account with a branch close to your main home.

chrisjolly Aug 13th 2019 8:10 am

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12722410)
It matters not which address you use. If you already have a house on the mainland, presumably you already have a Spanish bank account registered there? Why would you want to open another in Tenerife?

If you do not have an account, it would seem sensible to open an account with a branch close to your main home.

Thank you for the advice with regard to my address and the reason I want to open an account in Tenerife is because my Spanish bank on the mainland does not have a branch there and for every transaction with an ATM there is a charge.

missile Aug 13th 2019 11:43 am

Maybe you want to consider switching banks?

I find Santander convenient. Their internet banking system is easy to use. They do not charge me for deposit, withdrawal, or ATM. I believe they have 6 branches and many ATMs on the Island. I found it particularly useful to be able to withdraw euros from my UK sterling account from any ATM at a good rate with no transaction charges when I was on holiday in Tenerife.

chrisjolly Aug 13th 2019 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12722508)
Maybe you want to consider switching banks?

I find Santander convenient. Their internet banking system is easy to use. They do not charge me for deposit, withdrawal, or ATM. I believe they have 6 branches and many ATMs on the Island. I found it particularly useful to be able to withdraw euros from my UK sterling account from any ATM at a good rate with no transaction charges when I was on holiday in Tenerife.

Thanks again. Thats very useful information and I will try Santander.

missile Aug 13th 2019 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by chrisjolly (Post 12722570)
Thanks again. Thats very useful information and I will try Santander.

Pleased to help, enjoy Tenerife :goodpost: