Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New apartment in alicante-advice needed?

New apartment in alicante-advice needed?

Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

lee1lpool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New apartment in alicante-advice needed?

Hi all,

I`m Lee from Liverpool UK. I have just bought an apartment in Alicante Spain as a project-a Sabadell bank repossesion. I plan to move there permanently next year.

My apartment needs totally reforming. I would like advice on getting the water & electricity switched on. My apartment need some rewiring, can I hire a general handyman, or do I have to hire a registered certified electrician to certify the work done?

I am also looking for a general handyman who can fit kitchens, bathrooms, fit windows, do tiling, plumbing, painting etc. I`m looking for a trustworthy Spanish or English handyman with reasonable cheap quotes. Please message me if you know a good handyman.

I would welcome advice on what I need to do, who to contact etc to intall the water & electricity, certificates needed etc?

Regards,

Lee
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New apartment in alicante-advice needed?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:42 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee1lpool
Hi all,

I`m Lee from Liverpool UK. I have just bought an apartment in Alicante Spain as a project-a Sabadell bank repossesion. I plan to move there permanently next year.

My apartment needs totally reforming. I would like advice on getting the water & electricity switched on. My apartment need some rewiring, can I hire a general handyman, or do I have to hire a registered certified electrician to certify the work done?

I am also looking for a general handyman who can fit kitchens, bathrooms, fit windows, do tiling, plumbing, painting etc. I`m looking for a trustworthy Spanish or English handyman with reasonable cheap quotes. Please message me if you know a good handyman.

I would welcome advice on what I need to do, who to contact etc to intall the water & electricity, certificates needed etc?

Regards,

Lee
You will need to get a qualified electrician (Spanish) to verify that the electrical installation meets all the necessary regulations. He can then issue a boletin indicating the maximum power than can b provided for your installation.

Only then will your supplier (Iberdrola or whoever) be willing to give you a contract and get you 'switched on'.

For water, the rules are not quite so rigid and you may be able to have a meter installed without the need for a boletin.

In either case, do NOT be fobbed off with a Brit who says he can do it all for you - it is MOST unlikely that they will be registered and will NOT be able to get the necessary certificates.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

Hi Lee, if you give us a more exact location we may be able to make specific recommendations from personal experience and/or local knowledge.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi Gardner8,

I`m moving to Alicante city, the north part of the city. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gardner8,

I`m moving to Alicante city, the north part of the city. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
When are you coming out ? I have a friend in San Vicente who can help.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Cool, I`m in Juan 23 so only a short distance away. I plan to start the construction in the Autumn when the climate cools. Inbox me their details, must be good at fitting bathrooms, kitchens, plumbing, tiling etc. Thanks for help
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, I`m in Juan 23 so only a short distance away. I plan to start the construction in the Autumn when the climate cools. Inbox me their details, must be good at fitting bathrooms, kitchens, plumbing, tiling etc. Thanks for help
I am not sure you can get PM's until you have 10 posts ?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. I got a couple of reputable Spanish builders in the pipeline now.

Regards,

Lee
Old Jul 8th 2014, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. I got a couple of reputable Spanish builders in the pipeline now.

Regards,

Lee
Are you aware of all the works licences you must obtain, for even the most trivial job?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Neptuno,

I`m aware of some, but perhaps not all so please inform me and I`ll do my research...thanks
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neptuno,

I`m aware of some, but perhaps not all so please inform me and I`ll do my research...thanks
Any major works, extensions etc need an Obra mayor, smaller jobs an Obra menor
Your work sounds mostly major
You pay for the applications at your council planning office.
When you've been granted permission and licences, , you will be charged a percentage of the cost of the works, not what you think it will be, but what the council estimate it will be, so if someone does it extra cheap, it won't be reflected in their fee.