Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
Whilst I appreciate the health issues and unpleasantness for non-smokers in smokey environments, I don't understand why the ban covers all enclosed public spaces. Non-smokers wouldn't be forced to enter smoking bars.

Except of course the people who have to work in that environment. You don't really have a choice of job these days.

I used to smoke and still could grab a cigarette from someone now, but I never smoked in enclosed spaces with others (non smokers) present and tried to make sure youngsters didn't see me.

I'm not trying to take any high ground here but no-one should impose smoking on to someone else given the health risks. I know there are other issues with health risks like pollution but smoking is something very easy to remove the risks to others.

I know not everyone will agree but some will change their minds as in the UK and Ireland.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:32 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I've never quite seen what is wrong with having a totally enclosed smokers' room in bars (with ventilation to the outside). There need be no bar staff enter, the smokers could come out of it to go to the bar and get their drinks.

I am a non-smoker who hates the stink and fug of smokey bars, but smoking is not an illegal activity so there should be some public places where it is catered for, without denying the rights of others to not have to breathe in other people's smoke.

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 4th 2011 at 1:45 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Can't tell you how happy I am.... even more so to hear that people are being fined for breaking it.... yippee!!!!!!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:55 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I've never quite seen what is wrong with having a totally enclosed smokers' room in bars (with ventilation to the outside). There need be no bar staff enter, the smokers could come out of it to go to the bar and get their drinks.

I am a non-smoker who hates the stink and fug of smokey bars, but smoking is not an illegal activity so there should be some public places where it is catered for, without denying the rights of others to not have to breathe in other people's smoke.
How do you maintain the room and clean without staff entering it?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:07 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Any body notice the mess chewing gum eaters leave behind, usually at entrances to places?, now that makes a mess far worse than smoke if you get it on you.

Just as bad

and No I don't smoke
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:13 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Any body notice the mess chewing gum eaters leave behind, usually at entrances to places?, now that makes a mess far worse than smoke if you get it on you.

Just as bad

and No I don't smoke
Yeah... I agree..... chewing gum is far worse than lung cancer....
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Can't tell you how happy I am.... even more so to hear that people are being fined for breaking it.... yippee!!!!!!
I must admit to feeling a certain sense of pleasure as well, especially reading the Spanish moaning about it. It's happened, get over it, move on!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:23 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I'm not too sure why pubs and restaurants are a special case anyway. I don't think many people would argue with banning smoking in many places - shops, commercial kitchens, hospitals, schools, theatres - why are bars and restaurants so different?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:26 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
How do you maintain the room and clean without staff entering it?
Leave it to ventilate to the outside for a couple of hours before entering after the smokers have all gone home. Or don't open it until six pm, close it at midnight and clean it at 9am.

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 4th 2011 at 3:38 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:30 pm
Ex Expat

One of the things I hate nearly as much as smokey bars is restaurants where someone's (usually a Brit's) dog is wandering around.

How unhygenic can you get, AND the owners always take offence if you dare express disapproval of little Fido's antics.

I wonder what they would say if I came in and started feeding a snake from the table......
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:37 pm
Ex Expat

One thing really made me cringe the other night. And very sad.

A young couple came into the (smokey) bar with a five-week-old baby.

Then they lit up cigarettes and were blowing smoke all over him, then they lit up waccy baccy and blew THAT all over him.

I said to my friend, that I would never DREAM of taking a child of any age into that smokey atmosphere, and if my son ever has any children he would have a fit if I ever even so much as thought of it. He won't even visit my friend's house because she smokes so much.

I wonder if some people have NO sense?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I hate nearly as much as smokey bars is restaurants where someone's (usually a Brit's) dog is wandering around.

How unhygenic can you get, AND the owners always take offence if you dare express disapproval of little Fido's antics.

I wonder what they would say if I came in and started feeding a snake from the table......
I prefer a dog to a smoker but have yet to see any bar where we live that has dogs in their establishment!! One thing I do hate is cigarette ends at the entrances to bars/bowling alleys and in the sand on beaches. Gross. I used to smoke at work continuously back in the sixties then went to work for Wolsey Knitwear in Leicester. Even back then you weren´t allowed to smoke I presume not for health reasons but because of the fire risk. Very soon I got used to not smoking in the day and just smoked in the evening. It had become a habit so habits can be changed.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

One thing really made me cringe the other night. And very sad.

A young couple came into the (smokey) bar with a five-week-old baby.

Then they lit up cigarettes and were blowing smoke all over him, then they lit up waccy baccy and blew THAT all over him.

I said to my friend, that I would never DREAM of taking a child of any age into that smokey atmosphere, and if my son ever has any children he would have a fit if I ever even so much as thought of it. He won't even visit my friend's house because she smokes so much.

I wonder if some people have NO sense?
That is appalling.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:44 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I prefer a dog to a smoker but have yet to see any bar where we live that has dogs in their establishment!! One thing I do hate is cigarette ends at the entrances to bars/bowling alleys and in the sand on beaches. Gross. I used to smoke at work continuously back in the sixties then went to work for Wolsey Knitwear in Leicester. Even back then you weren´t allowed to smoke I presume not for health reasons but because of the fire risk. Very soon I got used to not smoking in the day and just smoked in the evening. It had become a habit so habits can be changed.
There are a couple near us where this happens.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:46 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
That is appalling.
Isn't it just?

(I'm glad to say they were not British or Spanish!).

They are a pleasant enough young couple but are having another baby soon.

Even when I used to smoke (many, many years ago now ), I would not have taken a child into a smokey atmosphere, nor smoked in front of them.

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 4th 2011 at 3:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.