Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:36 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by jimenato
I'm interested - don't forget to get back to us on this one...
'tis true!, we popped into one tonight and yes.....we did smoke inside, got some odd looks from a couple of customers as we opened the door but were welcomed by the owner and sat down for a coffee and a cig and left her a good sized tip.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:57 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
'tis true!, we popped into one tonight and yes.....we did smoke inside, got some odd looks from a couple of customers as we opened the door but were welcomed by the owner and sat down for a coffee and a cig and left her a good sized tip.
Well they are taking a big risk if the Marbella bar is an example of what they will do.

I am allowing smoking on my terrace if the roof is open and all the front windows are open. (i.e. no roof and three walls. I am hoping that a stub wall and a low balustrade don't count as a wall).
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Well the Guys place has been closed down tonight. He says he will open another one. Sounds a bit of an idiot as he looks as if he has at least about 10 staff so they will be without jobs too.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I was doing some research for a friend who thought she might have a dodgy mole and came across photos of a specific skin carcinoma which when on the lip was caused by smoking. I haven´t got a problem if smokers know the risks and still want to smoke but don´t see why I should put my health at risk by them.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Anti-smoking law definitely being enforced here.........

He resisted for eight hours in his bar, surrounded by his smoking customers, before he finally gave in. "The police are going to close the business. I'll not close it, it will require the courts. It does not end here," said José Eugenio Arias-Camisón, the owner of the Asador Guadalmina, a restaurant in Marbella (Málaga), when the Andalusian health department ordered the closure of the premises for noncompliance with Spain's one-month-old smoking ban.
"I have decided not to resist because of my wife and my children," he told reporters who were stationed at the doors of the premises from noon on Thursday. Shortly before a live interview with the television channel Intereconomía, with his 16 employees in the background, the premises were sealed by police associated with the board.

The Asador Guadalmina was the first restaurant to be declared to be at odds with the smoking ban and has also become the first closed for violating the law. The Andalusian health department ordered the closure of the establishment after its owner publicly stated that he planned not to pay the fine of 145,000 euros imposed by the board for not abiding by the law.

The decision to temporarily close the venue was announced yesterday morning by the regional health chief María Jesús Montero, and the grill was notified that afternoon. The owner, however, refused to comply until nine at night. The day saw the coming and going of inspectors and police officers trying to convince Arias-Camisón to close his business.

Two inspectors arrived at five in the evening, posting the closure order and instructing the wait staff to stop serving customers. The owner's father, Eugenio Arias-Camisón, received the notice and signed it as "non-compliant." Taking this gesture further, he invited the customers to a drink and posed for photographs, closure order in hand, amidst applause from the restaurant's patrons.

At 6pm, the owner arrived from Madrid, where he was collecting signatures for a petition against the law. Shortly thereafter, the health inspectors returned, this time accompanied by law enforcers, but the owner refused to comply. After discussions with representatives of the health department, he asked the police to either leave or bring a court order. Arias-Camisón stayed in the restaurant smoking a cigar.

At nearly nine in the evening, the negotiations between law enforcers and the restaurant owner came to an end, and the grill stopped serving customers. The closure ordered by the board is temporary, and will continue during the judicial proceedings, which carry a maximum duration of two months. If during this time the owner changes his decision to defy the smoking ban law, the closure order will be lifted. If, however, the two months pass and the grill does not comply with the rule or pay the fine, the board will take him to court and the judge review the case to decide whether the facility can reopen. "The law may be debatable, but compliance, no," the Andalusian health chief stated.
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/engli...11elpeng_3/Ten
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Our local venta was so busy Saturday night that they were turning customers away as they were fully booked. No one was worried about the smoking ban.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:33 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Now "they" have found something which is a more common cause of oral cancer than smoking tobacco.
Do not open if you are easily offended.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Now "they" have found something which is a more common cause of oral cancer than smoking tobacco.
Do not open if you are easily offended.
I would say the yanks (weightwise) have a higher risk of suffocation than throat cancer.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:40 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

The last time a Brit said something stereo typical of a nation (it was Mexico that time) he got in to big do-do.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I would say the yanks (weightwise) have a higher risk of suffocation than throat cancer.
...or talking each other to death.
Er no, wait a mo, the Spanish must be in a league of their own on that one.