Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by houdini1
Hi, you associate funny farm with pot and cigarettes with cancer. I can understand the latter, but the former ? How on earth can pot and a psychiatric institution have any relevant association with one another ?
http://www.suite101.com/content/mari...illness-a27715
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
You can't demonstrate whether pot causes the problems, or whether those with those problems seek out pot maybe as self medication.

They actually say there "Rather, marijuana triggers mental illness if the individual already has a predisposition to that illness. So if your family has a history of schizophrenia or other psychotic illnesses, smoking pot now could predispose you to struggle with mental illness later in life."

That would indicate that pot don't cause it, it just reveals what's already there.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

houdini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bil
You can't demonstrate whether pot causes the problems, or whether those with those problems seek out pot maybe as self medication.

They actually say there "Rather, marijuana triggers mental illness if the individual already has a predisposition to that illness. So if your family has a history of schizophrenia or other psychotic illnesses, smoking pot now could predispose you to struggle with mental illness later in life."

That would indicate that pot don't cause it, it just reveals what's already there.
Some time ago the media were hyping the 'pot causes mental illness' story. This was rather misleading since as you point out bil, people with a predisposition to certain mental illnesses do not tolerate pot well, psychosis being a case in point. Interestingly, we also found (through research) that certain personality types, who displayed no clinical signs of mental illness, poorly tolerated the drug. The individuals who strive for control, for example, or 'control freaks' in common parlance, react poorly to the psychoactive component of pot. Paranoia is a common immediate reaction among such people, making the experience very unpleasant. However this is a temporary condition which passes without any lasting consequences. Psychosis is a lot trickier. I personally believe that the chemical imbalance that precipitates this illness is present from a relatively young age and that potential, if you will, can be triggered by pot. So the clinical signs of psychosis manifest themselves much earlier in these people.

My estimate is that about 10% of individuals who try pot have lets say a negative experience with it due to the foregoing reasons. However, a 10%intolerence is not bad at all if we measure it against many well-known drugs, some of them freely available in the pharmacy. Did you know, for example, that common aspirin would never make it to market if it was invented today ?

My apologies to the thread. Way off-topic but educational nonetheless ?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Not only the Spanish. I have a friend who is a taxi driver in the UK. He hates the sweaty ***** that now get in his car!
Now the sprays they do for clubs to hide the stench of sweat is seemly bad for those with asthma too.
It's not the stench of sweat that's bad for asthmatics. It's the sprays and perfumes people use to cover it up... Instead of getting clean! Give me (fresh) sweat over anti-pong any day!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:28 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by houdini1
Some time ago the media were hyping the 'pot causes mental illness' story. This was rather misleading since as you point out bil, people with a predisposition to certain mental illnesses do not tolerate pot well, psychosis being a case in point. Interestingly, we also found (through research) that certain personality types, who displayed no clinical signs of mental illness, poorly tolerated the drug. The individuals who strive for control, for example, or 'control freaks' in common parlance, react poorly to the psychoactive component of pot. Paranoia is a common immediate reaction among such people, making the experience very unpleasant. However this is a temporary condition which passes without any lasting consequences. Psychosis is a lot trickier. I personally believe that the chemical imbalance that precipitates this illness is present from a relatively young age and that potential, if you will, can be triggered by pot. So the clinical signs of psychosis manifest themselves much earlier in these people.

My estimate is that about 10% of individuals who try pot have lets say a negative experience with it due to the foregoing reasons. However, a 10%intolerence is not bad at all if we measure it against many well-known drugs, some of them freely available in the pharmacy. Did you know, for example, that common aspirin would never make it to market if it was invented today ?

My apologies to the thread. Way off-topic but educational nonetheless ?
Actually it's far worse than that. I forget the precise details, but I think more people die from aspirin than from ecstacy, which is remarkable considering its quality control is in the hands of criminals.

I think the safest drug title goes to heroin, which were it not for its addictive nature, would be effectively harmless.

Legalisation might have problems, no-one is saying that such a step would be problem free, but look at the alternative. Even more crime, even more money flooding into the pockets of organised crime.

If you wanted to smash the dope dealing network in the UK, just allow people to grow their own. Who the hell would pay a dealer when they could grow their own?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:30 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by angiescarr
It's not the stench of sweat that's bad for asthmatics. It's the sprays and perfumes people use to cover it up... Instead of getting clean! Give me (fresh) sweat over anti-pong any day!
What makes me absolutely gag is I assume, the 'carrier' solvents, rather than the actual fragrance. Some perfumed garbage sacks just make me heave.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=houdini1;My apologies to the thread. Way off-topic but educational nonetheless ?[/QUOTE]

First the fiction now the facts.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html

Jim
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

houdini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bil
Actually it's far worse than that. I forget the precise details, but I think more people die from aspirin than from ecstacy, which is remarkable considering its quality control is in the hands of criminals.

I think the safest drug title goes to heroin, which were it not for its addictive nature, would be effectively harmless.

Legalisation might have problems, no-one is saying that such a step would be problem free, but look at the alternative. Even more crime, even more money flooding into the pockets of organised crime.

If you wanted to smash the dope dealing network in the UK, just allow people to grow their own. Who the hell would pay a dealer when they could grow their own?
Hi bil, yes you are correct; the morbidity due to Aspirin far exceeds that of Ecstacy. Prof. Dr. Nutt, formerly head of the UK drugs advisory council and may I add whose services were shamefully dispensed of by the UK government in the interests of political expediency, was amusingly quoted as saying that taking ecstacy was less dangerous than horse-riding.

Your comment on heroin is reasonable. It is a very addictive drug for most of humanity and the social fallout from its abuse is only matched by the ineptness of our politicians in handling such abuse. Interestingly, nicotine is an even more addictive substance than opiate-based drugs yet tobacco is freely available. I know thats historical, but were one to instantly remove tobacco from sale then the resulting social fallout would be up there with any addictive drug you care to name.

Of course legalisation of presently banned substances would eliminate virtually overnight the negative effects on society caused by their illegality. But politicians like to perpetuate the myth that suppression is the better of two evils. In a sense they are correct, for to have a society that treats drugs responsibly means individuals taking far more responsibility for their own actions, which, unfortunately in todays world, is far from the case.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
First the fiction now the facts.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html

Jim
Hi Jim, I'm quite familiar with NIDA in the U.S. While they do provide a considerable amount of factual information on cannabis, their way of presenting this information is sometimes controversial and colored by the political hysteria that prevails in the U.S. on this subject.

NIDA essentially deals with drug ABUSE. They present no facts on the responsible use of drugs. Millions of people use drugs responsibly, both legal and illegal, however in todays political climate it would be inconceivable to discuss this.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:20 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I detest about dope smokers is that they always say that drinking is more harmful than smoking dope... the only thing is that I don't start drinking at 10 o'clock in the morning and I know plenty of dope smokers who smoke from early morning to late night...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:35 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The thing I detest about dope smokers is that they always say that drinking is more harmful than smoking dope... the only thing is that I don't start drinking at 10 o'clock in the morning and I know plenty of dope smokers who smoke from early morning to late night...

I agree.

The people I know who smoke it regularly light up as soon as they wake up, and smoke constantly throughout the day. AND DRIVE!

I think driving under the influence of drugs is as illegal as driving under the influence of alcohol, is it not? Yet dope smokers say it is harmless?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:46 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I agree.

The people I know who smoke it regularly light up as soon as they wake up, and smoke constantly throughout the day. AND DRIVE!

I think driving under the influence of drugs is as illegal as driving under the influence of alcohol, is it not? Yet dope smokers say it is harmless?
I know a regular smoker who smokes while he drives and in the past when I have asked him not to do it while I am in the car with him he usually tells me to shut up and stop complaining.... then goes back to the same argument....
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:56 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I know a regular smoker who smokes while he drives and in the past when I have asked him not to do it while I am in the car with him he usually tells me to shut up and stop complaining.... then goes back to the same argument....
Whilst him smoking with you in the car may be very unpleasant, he is not driving under the influence of an illegal and mind-altering substance, which he would be if it was dope or alcohol. It is not dangerous to his driving (although it may be for yours and his health) and is not going to make him any more likely to have an accident.

I do not like smoking nor being expected to inhale other peoples' smoke, but as regards driving it is not as harmful as drinking alcohol or smoking dope.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:00 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by scampicat
Whilst him smoking with you in the car may be very unpleasant, he is not driving under the influence of an illegal and mind-altering substance, which he would be if it was dope or alcohol. It is not dangerous to his driving (although it may be for yours and his health) and is not going to make him any more likely to have an accident.

I do not like smoking nor being expected to inhale other peoples' smoke, but as regards driving it is not as harmful as drinking alcohol or smoking dope.
No... I mean dope.... he smokes dope in the car, hell he smokes dope all the damned time, including around his baby, YES..... I have told him he is a wanker for doing so...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:07 pm
Ex Expat

No... I mean dope.... he smokes dope in the car, hell he smokes dope all the damned time, including around his baby, YES..... I have told him he is a wanker for doing so...
Ah right, sorry I misunderstood.

I would not go in the car with him, I would be too scared.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.