Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:40 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes, but you need to change "alcohol" to "alcohol abuse"

Drinking a moderate amount of alcohol has no negative effects, if fact some studies show it has a positive effect.

Similar to eating red meat. Moderate consumption causes no harm and is probably quite good for you. Too much and you are risking the chance of cancer and heart disease.
Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, according to yesterday's paper 3 cañas for men a day, two for women, is good for you! Helps reduce the risk of hipertension and diabetes.
Oo-er!! Don't want to derail this thread but look what it says next in the Cancer Research UK article:

Can light drinking increase the risk of cancer?
Alcohol can increase the risk of cancer at levels far too low to make an average person drunk. It’s not just people who have ‘drinking problems’ who have higher risks.

As little as 3 units a day can increase the risk of mouth, throat, food pipe, breast and bowel cancers. That’s the amount in one pint of premium lager or a large glass of wine!

Alcohol has a weaker effect on the risk of breast cancer than on other cancers, but it starts having an effect at a lower level.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:42 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has different levels of sensitivity to alcohol and other substances.

I refuse to let this sort of 'bogeyman' reporting affect my life style.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Oo-er!! Don't want to derail this thread but look what it says next in the Cancer Research UK article:
Now they're scaremongering

Do they mention how much watching TV or turning on a lightbulb increases your chances of getting cancer? How about filling your car full of petrol?

Oops, I starting to sound like jojo
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes, but you need to change "alcohol" to "alcohol abuse"

Drinking a moderate amount of alcohol has no negative effects, if fact some studies show it has a positive effect.
Quite so but if you read the papers regularly just about every month someone comes up and disputes the previous study findings.

There is a Genetic fault that predisposes a quarter of all people to become addicted to smoking.

Tins of cigarettes were issued in the Second World War to combat stress in servicemen. It was the only "drug" that many got as it was considered less harmful than anything else that could be prescribed.

In the Falklands War the large majority of service men were said to smoke because they considered to aid stress.

When you wrote about alcohol you failed to say what was a moderate amount or mention drunken driving. What would be a moderate number of cigarettes to smoke.

Might be nice to see people less judgemental than they are or do they enjoy trying to bully the few smokers that are prepared to put the head above the parapet.

Jim
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

All I can say is what a joy it is to now go into a bar or a restaurant and have clean air to breath and not come out having your clothes stinking , and I have heard no complaints from the Spanish at all, in our area they seem to have all accepted it without moaning and these are all Spanish run businesses.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Macman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Quite so but if you read the papers regularly just about every month someone comes up and disputes the previous study findings.

There is a Genetic fault that predisposes a quarter of all people to become addicted to smoking.

Tins of cigarettes were issued in the Second World War to combat stress in servicemen. It was the only "drug" that many got as it was considered less harmful than anything else that could be prescribed.

In the Falklands War the large majority of service men were said to smoke because they considered to aid stress.

When you wrote about alcohol you failed to say what was a moderate amount or mention drunken driving. What would be a moderate number of cigarettes to smoke.

Might be nice to see people less judgemental than they are or do they enjoy trying to bully the few smokers that are prepared to put the head above the parapet.

Jim
10 out of 10! Well said.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I am not so sure that is correct as think they were issued as part of the rations to all soldiers together with some chocolate.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:59 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously.... how many times do we have to debate this? Smokers lost out in the common sense onslaught of EU mediocrity, good, the net result is that its becoming more and more of a filthy habit and now they are in the minority.... and the best bit? There is ABSOLUTELY bugger all they can do about it...
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I am not so sure that is correct as think they were issued as part of the rations to all soldiers together with some chocolate.
I dont think any western army issues fags anymore , I remember getting them in the 80`s , I used to swop mine for tinned processed cheese
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:56 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Jim
Smoking even a few cigs predisposes you to addiction. For a lot of people, I think that works out at a packet of 20.

How many people become alcoholics thru drinking a beer with their lunch?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by whitelinen
This was in the field when they carried their own rations. They had 7 cigs in a one man pack and enough for 7 each in a five man pack. In barracks they would use the cook house and I assume they drew their cigarettes separately.

Jim
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
Smoking even a few cigs predisposes you to addiction. For a lot of people, I think that works out at a packet of 20.

How many people become alcoholics thru drinking a beer with their lunch?
Can't say I know. Would you be talking about a Hofbrau Haus where the norm is a 2 Litre stein or a venta where a glass is 300ml. I assume it's a rhetorical question and you don't really want an answer.

Jim
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:33 pm
bil
Banned

Can't say I know. Would you be talking about a Hofbrau Haus where the norm is a 2 Litre stein or a venta where a glass is 300ml. I assume it's a rhetorical question and you don't really want an answer.

Jim
I'm just trying to compare the two substances. I think that the average person has little real risk of addiction from drinking a pint of beer a day.

However wrto smoking, I have seen the figures given that smoking 20 fags can ensure addiction in a worryingly high % of the population.

That's not as in 20 a day, or 20 a week, it's a one off, which suggests to me that there isn't a moderate amount you can smoke without risking addiction.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
I'm just trying to compare the two substances. I think that the average person has little real risk of addiction from drinking a pint of beer a day.

However wrto smoking, I have seen the figures given that smoking 20 fags can ensure addiction in a worryingly high % of the population.

That's not as in 20 a day, or 20 a week, it's a one off, which suggests to me that there isn't a moderate amount you can smoke without risking addiction.
One answer I read states that it can be genetic and you don't have to drink to be addicted to alcohol.

Jim
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:00 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I had a mate who used to work for the The Tobacco Advisory Council. They were a group funded by the Tobacco Industry to promote smoking. Even they admitted that Tobacco was more addictive than Heroin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.