Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:50 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
All very interesting. But if we could just stray back on topic...

...are the bars and rerstaurants now ciggy free?
At least one bar in our village has ignored the ban. I know this to be true as the licensee has said so on Facebook!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:51 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I tried many times to give up smoking before finally kicking the addiction twenty years ago, and the reason I could not was because the withdrawal symptoms were overwhelming. I knew it was bad for me (I had a smoker's cough) and also I hated the hold it had upon me. Please don't think it is merely a matter of making a decision... you may desperately wish to give up, but be unable to at that point.

I was finally able to kick it because the last time I tried I had no withdrawal symptoms and therefore it WAS then merely a matter of willpower.
I have enormous respect for those who kick the habit, because I know how hard it is. MyOH used to smoke, so I have metaphorically 'been there'.

Nowadays there are patches and all sorts of therapy to get people off the habit. I'd ask smokers on here to list the efforts they have made to try and stop smoking. It would be really interesting to see if they have made much of an effort.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:53 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I have enormous respect for those who kick the habit, because I know how hard it is. MyOH used to smoke, so I have metaphorically 'been there'.

Nowadays there are patches and all sorts of therapy to get people off the habit. I'd ask smokers on here to list the efforts they have made to try and stop smoking. It would be really interesting to see if they have made much of an effort.
True. I think I have mentioned earlier in the thread that my husband's cousin was able to give up with the help of some tablets from the Dr and a non-smoking clinic. She had smoked twenty a day for forty years. She has not smoked now for three years. Well done that lady!

Some people however, do not wish to give up. I have a friend here in the village who wheezes like a set of bellows and can't walk up the hills. She knows this is through smoking. Yes, she is addicted, but she just shrugs and says we all have to die of something. She does not want to give up, she does not want to seek help for her addiction, even though her health is affected.

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 9th 2011 at 11:00 am.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:08 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
True. I think I have mentioned earlier in the thread that my husband's cousin was able to give up with the help of some tablets from the Dr and a non-smoking clinic. She had smoked twenty a day for forty years. She has not smoked now for three years. Well done that lady!

Some people however, do not wish to give up. I have a friend here in the village who wheezes like a set of bellows and can't walk up the hills. She knows this is through smoking. Yes, she is addicted, but she just shrugs and says we all have to die of something. She does not want to give up, she does not want to seek help for her addiction, even though her health is affected.
I can top that. I saw a Horizon programme which featured a man who smoked heavily, started to get pains in one leg. He was told that if he didn't stop that the arteries in his leg would fail, and he would need a massive operation. He didn't stop, and had to have the op. He continued to smoke, the pains returned, and he was told that if he didn't stop, this time he would lose the leg, as the op couldn't be repeated. He continued to smoke, lost the leg, and then repeated the whole process with the other leg.

He then started to get pains in his arms........

I have a friend who admits to smoking 80 a day, but the estimated figure is close to 100. He has had a stroke, that was identified as smoking related. Will he even cut down? As if.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Yep, all fascinating stuff.

But are the bars and restaurants ciggie free?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:45 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Yep, all fascinating stuff.

But are the bars and restaurants ciggie free?
We've only been in a few, but yes, so far they are.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:07 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
It seems that harmful secondary smoking is totally unproven.
Article one
More false statements
Even more scientific misrepresentation.
The thirdhand smoke scam
600,000 People Die Worldwide From Secondhand Smoke Every Year
Flawed Assumptions
So maybe in the end these studies will be thought about in the same way as the Global Warming studies.
My list of Medical Scientific organisations trumps your list of internet bloggers.

Opinion of public health authorities

There is widespread scientific consensus that exposure to secondhand smoke is harmful.[6] The link between passive smoking and health risks is accepted by every major medical and scientific organization, including:
The World Health Organization[4]
The U.S. National Institutes of Health[92]
The Centers for Disease Control[93]
The United States Surgeon General[2]
The U.S. National Cancer Institute[94]
The United States Environmental Protection Agency[95]
The California Environmental Protection Agency[3]
The American Heart Association,[96] American Lung Association,[97] and American Cancer Society[98]
The American Medical Association[99]
The American Academy of Pediatrics[100]
The Australian National Health and Medical Research Council[101]
The United Kingdom Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health[102
Quote from Wiki
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:17 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

jimenato Nope it does not, if you care to read tall of the links I gave you will understand that the reports( on either side) can be railroaded through. Just like the one about Global Warming reports.

What I get from this is that no one should believe the first thing you see on the internet. Read and research there is always 2 sides of a story. Especially in Wiki, never trust that it is manipulated for political means. Like in that page you linked too. If it was truly impartial you would see both sides of a story.

cricketman I would love to see your study into this subject. Where is it on line?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:27 pm
bil
Banned

jimenato Nope it does not, if you care to read tall of the links I gave you will understand that the reports( on either side) can be railroaded through. Just like the one about Global Warming reports.

What I get from this is that no one should believe the first thing you see on the internet. Read and research there is always 2 sides of a story. Especially in Wiki, never trust that it is manipulated for political means. Like in that page you linked too. If it was truly impartial you would see both sides of a story.

cricketman I would love to see your study into this subject. Where is it on line?
What is needed is to use ones brain.

Inhaling smoke is bad. I cannot understand anyone trying to deny that. Smoke contains harmful chemicals. How can you say that inhaling a little is harmless? It is less harmful, but it still does some harm.

Global warming (AGW) deniers have actually talked themselves into a corner from which it is going to be very difficult to get out of. Here is the question to ask.

AGW deniers have always said clearly that the main, almost exclusive, input of heat to the planet is the sun, and that human input of greenhouse gas has had no effect.

So here's the question.

Over the last decade or more, the sun has been in a quiet, almost sunspot free period. It has been burning less vigorously, and has emitted a lot less heat in that time. So, if the human input has been zero, pray why has the earth not cooled since it has received so much less heat from the sun??
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:37 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle1971

I am also very aware of how ignorant or unaware many smokers can be (my husband included - and yes I do berate him for it) and that drives me nuts. But not all smokers are like that, and some of us actually DO care - but we still have a right by law for now, to smoke outside.

Elle xx

Sorry Elle, but you virually destroy whatever case you may have had, with that admission about your husband and many others like him.

You openly admit that he and many others like him are ignorant and unaware of the problems they cause.

Therefore until such time as they are fully aware, I hope you can understand why I and others like me, would much prefer not to enjoy the pleasure of their company, even on an outdoor terrace.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:39 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why internet bloggers might wish to twist this - maybe they are smokers like the doctor who wrote the first article trying to justify their addiction to themselves, maybe they are tobacco industry shills, maybe they are bar owners who want to allow smoking in their bars - there are any number of reasons.

But I can't think of one reason why international health authorities would want to spin it - not one. So I know which group I trust for honesty.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

If it was truly impartial you would see both sides of a story.

In the case of proving smoking is bad for you a picture is certainly worth more than a thousand words. Google smokers lungs images ............ there will be thousands of images many with healthy lungs next to smokers lungs. If that doesnt stop people smoking, nothing will.

I wouldnt want those blackened putrid smokers lungs in my body and certainly do not want to breath smoke that has passed through them....no wonder smokers smell so bad, they are rotting on the inside.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:43 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why internet bloggers might wish to twist this - maybe they are smokers like the doctor who wrote the first article trying to justify their addiction to themselves, maybe they are tobacco industry shills, maybe they are bar owners who want to allow smoking in their bars - there are any
But I can't think of one reason why international health authorities would want to spin it - not one. So I know which group I trust for honesty.

Not even those big fat research grants
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:50 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I can see why internet bloggers might wish to twist this - maybe they are smokers like the doctor who wrote the first article trying to justify their addiction to themselves, maybe they are tobacco industry shills, maybe they are bar owners who want to allow smoking in their bars - there are any

Not even those big fat research grants
Sorry - but I really don't know what you mean.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I have had research published, although not on those subjects.

However, given that I have been trained in Chemistry, maybe I thought my opinion may be worth something. Just like you may ask a Dr what they thought about an illness, even if they had not done original research on that particular illness

But you can ignore my opinion if you like, you are obviously incapable of evaluating data, but dont worry, so many people are!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.