Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
It'll probably work eventually, but IMO the bottom line is this.

Is it worth the huge financial cost to implement this ban? Is it really going to save money in the long run? (bearing in mind that if people stop smoking, the government wont get the taxes on packets of cigarettes) and are they really sure that smoking is the only definitive cause to all these so called sick and dying people and without smoking they would all be healthy?. Is it really worth all the hassle, changes and possible job losses when theres already a major recession and financial crisis going on?????

I personally dont think so! A partial ban would have been cheaper, easier and accepted better

Jo xxx
There is no way on earth that a price can be put on someones life but I can assure you that dying of lung cancer is dreadful for the person affected and the family that has to deal with it.

Rosemary
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle1971
I had no choice where to sit...

Elle xx
Wrong, you had many choices of where to sit. Nothing compelled you to be in any particular establishment.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:12 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
There is no way on earth that a price can be put on someones life but I can assure you that dying of lung cancer is dreadful for the person affected and the family that has to deal with it.

Rosemary
Why are you surprised that a drug addict (effectively) is against a serious ban? Think Turkeys and xmas.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:20 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Wrong, you had many choices of where to sit. Nothing compelled you to be in any particular establishment.
As I was meeting friends that pre-chose that establishment... because it is a favourite of theirs... then no, I did not have a choice. The bar was chosen... and I sat as far away as possible from others as the situation permitted. They could have moved up to 30 feet away (and upwind) and still been outdoors with all the loveliness that entails.

They chose to sit at that table, I chose to smoke in a legally permitted area.

I should not be deprived of visiting a particular establishment because a non-smoker decides that they want all the outside tables too. It is not illegal to smoke - there are simply new restrictions in certain public areas now. The other couple selected a table nearer to me. Perhaps I shouldn't have worn those tight jeans and boob-enhancing top - and then they wouldn't have been so keen!

Elle xx
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:29 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Rosemary

Quite, been there. Both were non smokers who had never even been people who went into bars and both died in their 50s. Coincidentally they were both plasterers! Like I say, there are no guarantees that making it illegal to smoke in public places is going to save any lives or vice versa!

Just my thoughts!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:31 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Why are you surprised that a drug addict (effectively) is against a serious ban? Think Turkeys and xmas.
But this drug addict doesnt go into bars and doesnt personally care whether they smoke in them or not! Just making an observation. If smoking was that bad then an out and out ban would be put into place immediately and sales would be withdrawn. Just like this latest "egg crisis" http://news.google.co.uk/news/url?sa...Dfeeds-newsxml!!!

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Jan 8th 2011 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:42 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Quite, been there. Both were non smokers who had never even been people who went into bars and both died in their 50s. Coincidentally they were both plasterers! Like I say, there are no guarantees that making it illegal to smoke in public places is going to save any lives or vice versa!

Just my thoughts!

Jo xxx
That is the desperatel cry of the addict. Lung cancer has other causes, and not all smokers will get lung cancer.

However, the vast majority of all lung cancer cases will be from smoking. To use that as justification for not giving up is pathetic.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

If smoking was that bad then an out and out ban would be put into place immediately and sales would be withdrawn. Just like this latest "egg crisis" http://news.google.co.uk/news/url?sa...Dfeeds-newsxml!!!

Jo xxx
Not a comparison at all.
Smokers chose to buy coffin nails.
No such choice was given to the cake buying public in the case of the contaminated eggs which is why they were withdrawn!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:45 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by bil
That is the desperatel cry of the addict. Lung cancer has other causes, and not all smokers will get lung cancer.

However, the vast majority of all lung cancer cases will be from smoking. To use that as justification for not giving up is pathetic.
You and I will have to agree to disagree! I am not using anything to justify to anyone whether I smoke or not, I do so because I can. So you should have the courtesy to respect my right to do as I please, just as I do yours

Jo
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:47 pm
bil
Banned

But this drug addict doesnt go into bars and doesnt personally care whether they smoke in them or not! Just making an observation. If smoking was that bad then an out and out ban would be put into place immediately and sales would be withdrawn. Just like this latest "egg crisis" http://news.google.co.uk/news/url?sa...Dfeeds-newsxml!!!

Jo xxx
Oh yes it is so bad. However, prohibition would be the worst thing we could do. Prohibition for alcohol funded the rise of organised crime in the USA, drud prohibition has ensured we have infinitely more addicts than when we made it illegal, and drug prohibition has cost thousands of lives, and put millions and millions of pounds into criminals' pockets, and the US is still too gutless to admit that they got it wrong.

Why in god's name would you want to add a third level to the way crime benefits from prohibition, and make tobacco illegal?

There is no comparison between cigarettes and an accidental contamination of eggs with dioxin.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:49 pm
bil
Banned

You and I will have to agree to disagree! I am not using anything to justify to anyone whether I smoke or not, I do so because I can. So you should have the courtesy to respect my right to do as I please, just as I do yours

Jo
Where did I say you have no right to kill yourself? I just said that I consider your arguments without substance and verging on the dishonest.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:49 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by bil

Why in god's name would you want to add a third level to the way crime benefits from prohibition, and make tobacco illegal?
I dont

Jo
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:52 pm
bil
Banned

I dont

Jo
Glad to hear that. From what you posted "If smoking was that bad then an out and out ban would be put into place immediately and sales would be withdrawn." I took it you would support such a ban.

I'd hate to see you scuttling down the alleys looking to score a nicotine 'fix'.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I am not using anything to justify to anyone whether I smoke or not, I do so because I can.

Jo .....Imagine one of your kids saying that when confronted doing something you did not like

As for smoking at least do it because you want to and not just because you can.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:04 pm
squeaky clean

Like I say you have the right to your opinion and I to mine and it hasnt changed. So we will have to agree to disagree

I think this is where I'm ending my side of the debate as its going nowhwere, is totally pointless, off topic and verging on bullying! So I'm gonna go and have a ciggie on my terrace lol.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.