Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:25 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

The smokers, know the bad news, maybe they have not heard the good! Here's a timetable for the health benefits of stopping smoking. Look how much good is done in just 24 hours.

From this link:
http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Our body's ability to mend is beauty to behold ...

Within ...
20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
8 hours
Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.
12 hours
Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
24 hours
Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.
72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
5 - 8 days
The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.
10 days
10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
10 days to 2 weeks
Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
2 to 4 weeks
Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
21 days
Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.
2 weeks to 3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
3 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
1 to 9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
5 to 15 years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
10 years
Your risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has now decreased.
13 years
Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).
15 years
Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.
20 years
Female excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study).

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 9th 2011 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:39 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

However, given that I have been trained in Chemistry, maybe I thought my opinion may be worth something.
But I only have 2 postings to prove that point, I do not see a Dr Cricketman anywhere!

So those who understand that all smoke is dangerous when inhaled; what do you do at BBQs?
  1. Leave ASAP?
  2. Stand inside and well away from any smoke?
  3. Or pour water on the BBQ and kill it before it kills you?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
But I only have 2 postings to prove that point, I do not see a Dr Cricketman anywhere!

So those who understand that all smoke is dangerous when inhaled; what do you do at BBQs?
  1. Leave ASAP?
Casa you used to make sensible posts, is this part of your New Years Resolutions
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, BBQ smoke does't much bother me. And I love the smell of the woodsmoke on the beach cooking fish, I like going home smelling of that.

Smokers on the other hand, stink.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
The smokers, know the bad news, maybe they have not heard the good! Here's a timetable for the health benefits of stopping smoking. Look how much good is done in just 24 hours.

From this link:
http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Our body's ability to mend is beauty to behold ...

Within ...
20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
8 hours
Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.
12 hours
Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
24 hours
Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.
72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
5 - 8 days
The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.
10 days
10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
10 days to 2 weeks
Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
2 to 4 weeks
Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
21 days
Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.
2 weeks to 3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
3 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
1 to 9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
5 to 15 years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
10 years
Your risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has now decreased.
13 years
Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).
15 years
Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.
20 years
Female excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study).
Excellent post scampicat,
Now if all smokers studied and memorised that, it would not only give them a big incentive to stop, but also give them a better understanding of the difficulties they may encounter, in turn making them much better prepared and confident of dealing with them.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

My 6 year old nephew, whose grandad smokes and whose dad is an occasional smoker, picked up a packet of cigarettes and read Smoking kills. He went quiet for minute then said sadly "I don't know why people smoke".
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:11 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo

1. Leave ASAP?
I use my brain. I stay outside, but upwind of any smoke source. Ditto any dust or solvent fume source too. At all times I minimise my exposure to shit that will damage my lungs.

WTF would any rational person do?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:18 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Excellent post scampicat,
Now if all smokers studied and memorised that, it would not only give them a big incentive to stop, but also give them a better understanding of the difficulties they may encounter, in turn making them much better prepared and confident of dealing with them.

Thanks, I too thought it could be quite motivating.

I'm glad to see that not having smoked for twenty years,my risk of death from smoking-related illnesses, is equal to that of someone who has never smoked.

My husband who has not smoked for five years now has no more risk of dying from a stroke than a never-smoker, and his risk of dying from heart disease is less than half that of a smoker.

My son has never smoked.

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 9th 2011 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:20 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by rachelk
My 6 year old nephew, whose grandad smokes and whose dad is an occasional smoker, picked up a packet of cigarettes and read Smoking kills. He went quiet for minute then said sadly "I don't know why people smoke".
But I bet he will never smoke. It sinks in deeply at that age.

When we used to smoke, we had not used to do it in front of our son. However, he was always finding our packs of ciggies, would throw a wobbly and throw the fags in the bin.

I could not in all conscience tell him off for that.

If your nephew's dad is only an occasional smoker, it would be well for him to give it up and tell the little boy he has done so and why.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
My son has never smoked.
Good. We both smoked when much younger, but both gave it up, so our two kids never saw us smoke, and as a consequence, neither has ever smoked. Brought up in a smoking family, there´s a lot more chance they´ll smoke as well.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

We've only been in a few, but yes, so far they are.
Yahoo

Now common you guys, let's get talking about the cause of lung cancer again. Wouldn't want to get on topic too much
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:40 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.diariosur.es/20110109/loc...101091809.html

The hospitality trade isn't pleased!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
http://www.diariosur.es/20110109/loc...101091809.html

The hospitality trade isn't pleased!

God loves a trier.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:13 pm
On the road again.

On a more positive note.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/852164-s...the-uk-by-2050

Good news for both the UK and Spain ?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

moving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nice

what a truly funny thread with various exploits being told.

I went to a concert in July 2009 in Benidorm Stadium. I did not know that smoking was still allowed and in fact did not know about that fact that the Spanish were banning smoking from January until I read it on the web. I was totally ignorant, I just thought that smoking was banned everywhere in Europe.
Back to my story, we took our seats then a lady came and sat in front of us. In the first 10 mins of her being there, she lit up 3 times. I found an usher and asked if we could move. The usher said did we request non smoking seats to which I answered "no surely there is no smoking in public places"? The usher said "well this is Spain" so I sat back down. Some little while later, the usher came up to me and told me we could move infact the seats were far better than the ones I was in. I did have a little laugh to myself when I found out as I said only the other day that Spain was still a smoking country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.