Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

new airline luggage scam

new airline luggage scam

Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:26 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: new airline luggage scam

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Buy a GPS and plug in the co-ordinates I gave in my reply to exactly where IKEA is and then you will be directed to the precise spot +-10 metres (Have a look at the TomTom products).

You can also choose whether you will let a female or male voice direct you. I choose female as it is such a sweeter experience - although one of the Spanish female voices I have as an alternative is pretty stern!
By the grin on your face methinks you secretly prefer the stern Spanish female!!!
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amara
I think this thread has more or less run it's course - but having just read it with interest I can't resist putting in my two pen'orth, and giving a slightly different perspective of Ryanair. My husband trained for 5 years to become a professional pilot, we are not rich and have had to sacrifice everything including our home for the 'cause', to the tune of 70K we also had three children to consider. because of Budget airlines, particularly Ryanair, terms and conditions for pilots is dire and other airlines are following suit and pilots are having to pay more for training, and get paid much less than you would ever believe. It has left us in a position where my husband can no longer pursue his dreams of an airline job here. So when I here comments like 'they can lock pilots up in cages for all I care' it does somewhat offend me. Now before the floodgates open and the comments of 'your choice', 'no one made you do it', 'get a life', 'stop whining' etc etc begin, there is a positive outcome to this. My husband has now got a great flying job in Jerez, which means I get to go and live there and have a better life than here - just one drawback though, there's only one rubbish airline who fly there!!
I'm really pleased, Amara, that your husband has got a job flying in Jerez, that's really great news for you both. Perhaps things have changed, but if your husband puts in sufficient flying hours where he now has a job, it might be possible for him (should either of you want to) to get a job based in the UK or with one of the larger airlines. It seems (I think, I'm no expert) that UK airlines do value experience and flying hours quite highly.

Many years ago (and I do appreciate it was many years ago, but he's still flying!), my brother flew for Laker, and when it went bust he took a job flying prop aircraft delivering mail across Europe in the most appalling conditions. It stood him in good stead for his future career. After that experience he was considered very employable. Flying hours count for a lot, not the airline nor the plane he has been working with.

I don't know what aircraft your husband is flying, but it may well prove to be a stepping stone to the career that he wants.

Wishing you both well.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

Hi Un Mundo

Thanks for your lovely post, it was very encouraging and positive. My husband is now training commercial pilots down in Jerez, so it will definitely be great experience. I think for us the lifestyle will be better in Spain than it is here, and he will be home at the weekends, which will be great for our children. I am not totally convinced that flying for an airline is the prestigious, glamorous job it once was, particularly as you say the turbo prop freight flying. Thanks again Amara x
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

My last word on this subject, douglas jack why have you been so uptight about the airlines, you are quite right ,if you had read the thread, in the fact I do not live in England, I live in Albunol , as stated next to my user name, This is in Spain, but currently I am in UK for family reasons having flown up by Easyjet, cheap flight, unfortunately running late last week due to ATC in France being on strike. On boarding the flight having been told we would have a delay of 55 minutes the staff supplied us with drinks (free) and also arranged for some buskers, who were flying with them to entertain us.
Well done Easyjet and still only 30 minutes late arriving despite ATC problems.

Mitzyboy, I also have looked at Thomson from Bournemouth, price was good but again only to Malaga, but I have heard they are excellent from Coventry for those going to Almeria Airport, other half reporting the weather is 24 in Albunol

pwwm
Old Mar 15th 2006, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amara
Hi Un Mundo

Thanks for your lovely post, it was very encouraging and positive. My husband is now training commercial pilots down in Jerez, so it will definitely be great experience. I think for us the lifestyle will be better in Spain than it is here, and he will be home at the weekends, which will be great for our children. I am not totally convinced that flying for an airline is the prestigious, glamorous job it once was, particularly as you say the turbo prop freight flying. Thanks again Amara x
Indeed, Amara. Glamour has long been lacking in an airline pilot's job, I think! Essentially it's a very stressful job and my father use to describe it as being a long distance bus driver. Staying in soul-less hotels, having to take very stringent medicals every six months, having to deal (increasingly more) with CEOs who know nothing about flying and are only interested in profit sheets and who care nothing about the crews or passengers involved ... It's not my idea of glamour. It's a job that wreaks havoc with family life, in the main, if the pilot is doing long haul.

If you'd care to pm me (private message), I'll send you a link to a dedicated pilot site which is quite interesting, and not a little alarming! If your husband doesn't already know of it, he might find it of interest, too.

Anyhow, I do hope this job works well for him. It sounds as though it could be the gateway to things more of his choosing. If he's training commercial pilots then he already sounds pretty well qualified.

All the best,

U-M.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: new airline luggage scam

Hi Un-mundo

Likewise my father used to work for BA but this was way back when it was B.O.A.C. He also used to say it was like being a bus driver, especially flying the Atlantic and on. I am lucky enough to have all his flying records and have found the aircraft he flew on the www with pictures etc.

Anybody out there flown in a Stratocruiser? I remember as a child running around inside one when he was delivering it, my memory was a short flight but he said no. Such fun at 4 yr old being on the flight deck, landing at "London Airport" oh well less of the nostalgia.

pwwm
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi Un-mundo

Likewise my father used to work for BA but this was way back when it was B.O.A.C. He also used to say it was like being a bus driver, especially flying the Atlantic and on. I am lucky enough to have all his flying records and have found the aircraft he flew on the www with pictures etc.

Anybody out there flown in a Stratocruiser? I remember as a child running around inside one when he was delivering it, my memory was a short flight but he said no. Such fun at 4 yr old being on the flight deck, landing at "London Airport" oh well less of the nostalgia.

pwwm
My father was also in BOAC, mostly on secondment, pwwm! I got to live in some quite interesting places, which was good fun, actually. Happy days, back in the time of Speedbird.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Mitzyboy, I also have looked at Thomson from Bournemouth, price was good but again only to Malaga, but I have heard they are excellent from Coventry for those going to Almeria Airport, other half reporting the weather is 24 in Albunol
pwwm
Yes for sure I think it depends on where you are flying from / to. I go to Valencia and because the taxes are so ,ow there in comparison to other airports the flights work out really cheaply. I don't think they charge for baggage either, although we'll find out shortly as I'm coming over for a short trip
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mitzyboy

as you are coming over shortly, the weather is great, pack yer shorts for daytime.
As you say it does depend greatly on the airport re taxes etc, I have been quared quite differing prices though from and to same airport, Generally for me Almeria is cheaper but also two hours each way less driving time.

Have a good trip
pwwm
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

josephina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Buy a GPS and plug in the co-ordinates I gave in my reply to exactly where IKEA is and then you will be directed to the precise spot +-10 metres (Have a look at the TomTom products).

You can also choose whether you will let a female or male voice direct you. I choose female as it is such a sweeter experience - although one of the Spanish female voices I have as an alternative is pretty stern!
Hello
Thanks for your help, i got this message after i got back from Spain. I did manage to find IKEA eventualy....i spent a fortune.
J
Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:55 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by un-mundo
My father was also in BOAC, mostly on secondment, pwwm! I got to live in some quite interesting places, which was good fun, actually. Happy days, back in the time of Speedbird.
Hey small world, My father......... No he worked for himself, but whilst flying back on leave from Nairobe on a speedbird (i think) with BOAC he asked to visit the cockpit, when there told the pilots he was an aircraft design engineer who had worked on the Spitfire/hurricane/hamilton amoungst others, they then invited him to "take the wheel" so he actually flew a commercial jet on a private license,
how times have changed uhh, circa 1954/5
Best regards
Kevray
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Just had to post this, anyone else seen it?

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/fro...NAIRDERRY.html

ho ho
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

josephina is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just booked Ryan Air flights to Murcia for August.......i have been charged £5.00 per piece of check in luggage............ i thought if you book on line it was only £2.50????????
Josephine
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:07 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Originally Posted by josephina
I have just booked Ryan Air flights to Murcia for August.......i have been charged £5.00 per piece of check in luggage............ i thought if you book on line it was only £2.50????????
Josephine
It's £2.50 each way, it makes it sound better if they just quote the price per flight, not sure if you can book luggage on only one leg of the flight?? I'm happy to go to the UK with hand luggage but often want to bring things back with me.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of interest did anyone hear the news this morning where Ryan Air landed at the wrong airport at Cardiff. Managed to get it wrong and landed at a military airport instead. The funny thing it seems to have disappeared from later news items!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.