Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

new airline luggage scam

new airline luggage scam

Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:46 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default new airline luggage scam

Just read today that FlyBe is charging upto £4 per hold item for luggage, and that Ryanair is introducing a £5 per item charge for hold luggage on the 16th March. I might have to invest in one of those large coats with multiple pockets in the lining !!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice
Default Re: new airline luggage scam

Originally Posted by poollounger
Just read today that FlyBe is charging upto £4 per hold item for luggage, and that Ryanair is introducing a £5 per item charge for hold luggage on the 16th March. I might have to invest in one of those large coats with multiple pockets in the lining !!
Thats nothing, just got back last night on a Ryan air flight we had a case with 24KG going no probs, coming back we had 18KG between us the allowance is for 15KG per person, whilst away Ryan air decided that you must have seperate cases with no more than 15KG in each, we were able to put 3KG in hand luggage off which you are allowed 10KG each. The only reason i can see for doing this would be the £5 charge being introduced, more bags more money, what a con.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 12:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Thats nothing, just got back last night on a Ryan air flight we had a case with 24KG going no probs, coming back we had 18KG between us the allowance is for 15KG per person, whilst away Ryan air decided that you must have seperate cases with no more than 15KG in each, we were able to put 3KG in hand luggage off which you are allowed 10KG each. The only reason i can see for doing this would be the £5 charge being introduced, more bags more money, what a con.
Vote with your money, dont travel with them again.
Sometimes BA are as cheap, also sqeezyjet 20 kls allowed + hand luggage weight within reason, as long as it fits their test frame at the airports.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 1:56 pm

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
Vote with your money, dont travel with them again.
Sometimes BA are as cheap, also sqeezyjet 20 kls allowed + hand luggage weight within reason, as long as it fits their test frame at the airports.
Sadly Ryanair are the easiest way to get to Jerez!!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 1:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well ..... I'm not supporting their actions, but sometimes you've got to ask what you expect for your money. Not so many years ago you were often paying hundreds of pounds to fly to close destinations in Europe. In the late 90's I remember it costing us well over £200 to fly to Switzerland and we bought the price down by going via Schipol. I paid £250 to fly to Edinburgh with BA!

Late last year I went to Valencia for £28 out and free back. The low cost airlines have smashed the high prices in Europe the same way as Laker & Branson did on long haul. Now I very rarely carry bags of any size when I go to Valencia so it doesn't directly effect me, but I'm not so sure I'd go as far to call the charge introduction a scam.

If you want the low cost airlines to survive, and for us to continue to benefit from the cheap prices, then I guess to some extent you have to accept that you will pay extra for meals, you'll pay for drinks, and now you'll pay for baggage.

Just acting as devils advocate .... would you rather be back in the mid to late 90's paying hundreds of pounds for a flight, or would you rather have it as it is now with an extra £5 for a bag?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 2:22 pm

[QUOTE=Mitzyboy]Well ..... I'm not supporting their actions, but sometimes you've got to ask what you expect for your money. Not so many years ago you were often paying hundreds of pounds to fly to close destinations in Europe. In the late 90's I remember it costing us well over £200 to fly to Switzerland and we bought the price down by going via Schipol. I paid £250 to fly to Edinburgh with BA!

Late last year I went to Valencia for £28 out and free back. The low cost airlines have smashed the high prices in Europe the same way as Laker & Branson did on long haul. Now I very rarely carry bags of any size when I go to Valencia so it doesn't directly effect me, but I'm not so sure I'd go as far to call the charge introduction a scam.

If you want the low cost airlines to survive, and for us to continue to benefit from the cheap prices, then I guess to some extent you have to accept that you will pay extra for meals, you'll pay for drinks, and now you'll pay for baggage.

Just acting as devils advocate .... would you rather be back in the mid to late 90's paying hundreds of pounds for a flight, or would you rather have it Hard to disagree...just chokes to pay for luggage, and I guess buying one's sandwiches at Pret and taking them aboard doesn't help either!!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 4:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Airline food always used to suck anyway, I always thought. Long haul is slightly better. I used to work in H M Customs & Excise in another life and we used to get free cabin meals when the planes came in (BA). Some of the stuff they used to put out was absolute crap
Old Feb 27th 2006, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Seem to recall reading somewhere recently, re Ryanair, if the luggage is booked in previously online the cost is lower per item!!!!! Can't remember how much though.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:20 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by sonnyc
Seem to recall reading somewhere recently, re Ryanair, if the luggage is booked in previously online the cost is lower per item!!!!! Can't remember how much though.
Yes I think its just over half if you pre book
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Flybe and Ryanair reduce the baggage charge if you check in prior to arriving at the airport, I swear though as I hate Ryanair so much I will never ever travel with them again. Luckily for me at Almeria I have a small choice unlike poolounger. My son got an excellent deal back to UK with BA last week, less then Easyjet as well, even better for him it was also going to Heathrow. Mind you the chaos at Malaga is unbelievable, I feel sorry for anyone coming over this year, leave plenty of time to get into the place as major refurbishment going on
For those of you stuck in the UK today was 24 dg as we strolled through town with friends
pwwm
Old Feb 27th 2006, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice

Originally Posted by PaulLes

Ryanair changes apply to all bookings made on or after march 16 , the allowances changed months ago , you are at present only allowed 15kg hold luggage per person and cannot use other people in your partys allowance.

This will rise on 16/03/06 to 20kg with 10kg hand luggae .All booked in luggage will incur a £5 charge for ech leg of journey , if you book in on line this charge is reduce to £2.50 per leg of journey .

Those with only hand luggage can book in on line and will not have to queue at check in and will be boarded first on the aircraft .

To compensate for the luggage charge Ryanair say fares will see an overall reduction to compensate .

What prompted this was the huge hike in oil prices , Ryanairs fixed price contract has recently run out at at present have no agreement in place .

Easyjet have just announced a profit warning and BA have had a fuel surcharge in place for a year .

Times have changed where £60 return to jerez from london seems expensive ! ,

The way ryanair operate , 25min turnarounds , staff paying for use of uniforms , paying for their own training and only being paid while they are airbourne means it is not difficult to get a £25 return fare .

you pay your varying degrees of money you take your choice .
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: new airline luggage scam

Hi All,

Just to comment that last year our target price for Luton/Coventry-Faro was £50 and we got it most flights. Once I got £1 out and£4.50 back Stansted-Seville with Ryanair but the taxes took it to nearly £30.

This year so far we seem to be about £60 Luton-Faro so a£10 increase in the face of all that is happening is not bad IMHO.

As far as luggage is concerned we are trying to get down to hand luggage only and can do it for up to one week, of course when we have our own place at CE I will just take a newspaper to read.

I think on a flight of just over 2hrs (consistent Easyjet from Luton to Faro) I don't need food or drink so in-flight catering is irrelevent, although Kath always always cup of tea.

Regards,

John

Originally Posted by Mourinho
Ryanair changes apply to all bookings made on or after march 16 , the allowances changed months ago , you are at present only allowed 15kg hold luggage per person and cannot use other people in your partys allowance.

This will rise on 16/03/06 to 20kg with 10kg hand luggae .All booked in luggage will incur a £5 charge for ech leg of journey , if you book in on line this charge is reduce to £2.50 per leg of journey .

Those with only hand luggage can book in on line and will not have to queue at check in and will be boarded first on the aircraft .

To compensate for the luggage charge Ryanair say fares will see an overall reduction to compensate .

What prompted this was the huge hike in oil prices , Ryanairs fixed price contract has recently run out at at present have no agreement in place .

Easyjet have just announced a profit warning and BA have had a fuel surcharge in place for a year .

Times have changed where £60 return to jerez from london seems expensive ! ,

The way ryanair operate , 25min turnarounds , staff paying for use of uniforms , paying for their own training and only being paid while they are airbourne means it is not difficult to get a £25 return fare .

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 27th 2006 at 8:19 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

imho i don't think its a scam or unreasonable....take into account the cheap flights dunno how the airlines operate with fuel the price it is.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Flybe and Ryanair reduce the baggage charge if you check in prior to arriving at the airport, I swear though as I hate Ryanair so much I will never ever travel with them again. Luckily for me at Almeria I have a small choice unlike poolounger. My son got an excellent deal back to UK with BA last week, less then Easyjet as well, even better for him it was also going to Heathrow. Mind you the chaos at Malaga is unbelievable, I feel sorry for anyone coming over this year, leave plenty of time to get into the place as major refurbishment going on
For those of you stuck in the UK today was 24 dg as we strolled through town with friends
pwwm
Its only the building work that is causing the problem, hardly any parking spaces and in a different place every time so consequently traffic jams Just walk across the bridge and let the train take the strain.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem is we have no trains where we are. So it is travel to airport by car or nothing.
The traffic trying to get into the airport was backed up along the motorway well before the airport, so our son did get out and leg it across the bridge leaving his bag behind.
Oh well taking it with us next week, but leaving from alternative airport, with excellent access and cheap parking. Thermals at the ready.
pwwm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.