NERJA

Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

abiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant future
Default NERJA

We have been to nerja 3 times in the past, the last time being 8 years ago.
And we are thinking of having 6 months there later on this year"renting".
I keep hearing of very high cost of living there is it any difference between there and other place`s in spain. IE, what is the price of a beer in a tapas bar. "we dont want it to be like barcalona"
Also I hear that crime is a big problem is that the case.
We will be renting a villa as we have 2 dogs and need a garden so its more than likely on the edge of town , any info will be greatly appreciated.
keith
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice
Default Re: NERJA

Hi

We are on the coast about a hour from Nerja and go occasionally for a day for lunch etc, it is more expensive than Adra, as Adra although on the coast doesn't have a lot of Brits around, but I have never found Nerja to be in line with the likes of Barcelona or Madrid, I have read on forums about the crime, but that is probably because of there being a lot of Brits, they are a easy target, but I think that happens in other holiday resort areas also, I am sure someone else will come along to tell you a lot more than I can, I hope all goes well for you
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

abiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant futureabiteachuck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by adra04778
Hi

We are on the coast about a hour from Nerja and go occasionally for a day for lunch etc, it is more expensive than Adra, as Adra although on the coast doesn't have a lot of Brits around, but I have never found Nerja to be in line with the likes of Barcelona or Madrid, I have read on forums about the crime, but that is probably because of there being a lot of Brits, they are a easy target, but I think that happens in other holiday resort areas also, I am sure someone else will come along to tell you a lot more than I can, I hope all goes well for you
Thanks for the reply, we also looked at la-rabata but wondered if it was a little small for a 6 month stay.
Adra is somewhere we missed do you live there .
keith
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

La Rabita is a small place, where any Brits know everyones business, so not my cup of tea and as you say probably too small for a six month stay, Adra has 25k people and is mostly Spanish with Brits on the out skirts, we have a house on the coast road a few miles outside the main town, we spend a lot of time there, but we are not residents of Spain. We have been going to Goa twice a year, but as my hubby was really ill this last visit, we may stick to spending more time in Spain in winter as welll now.

Last edited by adra04778; Feb 11th 2011 at 9:04 am. Reason: clicked before I had finished writing Lol !
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Nerja is ever going to be like Barcelona! We have friends near there, so have been visiting on and off for well over 20 years, and it's certainly changed, what place hasn't? But it's never struck me as an expensive place, certainly not in the same league as Barcelona anyway. Crime? Never been on the wrong end of any, but it's there, like every other place, often holiday makers are an easy target. For a six month stay in that area, Nerja is as good a choice as any. We also have friends that live outside Almuñecar, and they love it there, but it´s never really done it for me, although a lot more Spanish. I don´t really like any of the coast further east, and if it was my wife choosing, it would be Nerja very time! Really depends what you want, a lot more life for youngsters in Nerja. You might answer some of your questions here,
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowFor...Andalusia.html
http://www.nerjanow.com/NerjaForum/phpBB3/index.php
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:35 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

oh aguiwierdo. You won't ever think anything good of anything. Horrible man.. By the way, still, our bins get emptied at least twice a week..
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

I live in Frigiliana, 3 km from Nerja. The cost of living has definately risen over the past few years but I do not believe it is any more expensive than any other coastal towns.

If you use the spanish supermarkets (in Nerja there's Mercadona, MAS and Supersol ) you will be better off than trying to buy all the brands you are used to. Plus Lidl has recently opened with good weekly offers. As for the cost of a beer I pay €1.30 for a Beer and Tapa and a little more for a glass of wine. In fact there are so many Tapas bars that for the cost of a few drinks you can get a reasonable meal from the free food. Some bars still do a beer for €1, but the sizes seem to have shrunk!! In the town centre (Balcon de Europa area) you will pay more, and probably not be offered a Tapa, but then that is the same in all 'people watching' places. The passing view is worth the extra. There are some great Menu del Dia in most establishments now for both lunch and evenings (from about €7). The quality is much improved than the menus offered a few years ago. Many of the quality restaurants now also offer menu del dia for a few euros more, we're spoilt for choice.

I do not think there is a "big problem" with crime. There are a couple of women who prey on tourists by offereing them a carnation and then stealing from their purses. And I have heard of a couple of people having bags snatched. But nothing on a great scale. Usual precautions should be made as anywhere. If I visit the market I am always very careful as that is probably a regular place for pick-pockets etc.

A great place to visit or to live in my opinion, not too small and certainly not too big. Loads of bars and restaurants, great nightlife especially for the younger people, lovely walks, a weekly market (but sadly now moved to the outskirts of town) and a regular bus service into Malaga.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by adra04778
La Rabita is a small place, where any Brits know everyones business, so not my cup of tea and as you say probably too small for a six month stay, Adra has 25k people and is mostly Spanish with Brits on the out skirts, we have a house on the coast road a few miles outside the main town, we spend a lot of time there, but we are not residents of Spain. We have been going to Goa twice a year, but as my hubby was really ill this last visit, we may stick to spending more time in Spain in winter as welll now.
Thanks for the reply it looks as though we have the same taste, as we have been to goa 11 times, always in the north, we havent been for 5 years but i know that its changed quite a lot
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jontee
I live in Frigiliana, 3 km from Nerja. The cost of living has definately risen over the past few years but I do not believe it is any more expensive than any other coastal towns.

If you use the spanish supermarkets (in Nerja there's Mercadona, MAS and Supersol ) you will be better off than trying to buy all the brands you are used to. Plus Lidl has recently opened with good weekly offers. As for the cost of a beer I pay €1.30 for a Beer and Tapa and a little more for a glass of wine. In fact there are so many Tapas bars that for the cost of a few drinks you can get a reasonable meal from the free food. Some bars still do a beer for €1, but the sizes seem to have shrunk!! In the town centre (Balcon de Europa area) you will pay more, and probably not be offered a Tapa, but then that is the same in all 'people watching' places. The passing view is worth the extra. There are some great Menu del Dia in most establishments now for both lunch and evenings (from about €7). The quality is much improved than the menus offered a few years ago. Many of the quality restaurants now also offer menu del dia for a few euros more, we're spoilt for choice.

I do not think there is a "big problem" with crime. There are a couple of women who prey on tourists by offereing them a carnation and then stealing from their purses. And I have heard of a couple of people having bags snatched. But nothing on a great scale. Usual precautions should be made as anywhere. If I visit the market I am always very careful as that is probably a regular place for pick-pockets etc.

A great place to visit or to live in my opinion, not too small and certainly not too big. Loads of bars and restaurants, great nightlife especially for the younger people, lovely walks, a weekly market (but sadly now moved to the outskirts of town) and a regular bus service into Malaga.
Thanks for the reply that as helped put my mind at ease Nerja it is.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agoreira
I don't think Nerja is ever going to be like Barcelona! We have friends near there, so have been visiting on and off for well over 20 years, and it's certainly changed, what place hasn't? But it's never struck me as an expensive place, certainly not in the same league as Barcelona anyway. Crime? Never been on the wrong end of any, but it's there, like every other place, often holiday makers are an easy target. For a six month stay in that area, Nerja is as good a choice as any. We also have friends that live outside Almuñecar, and they love it there, but it´s never really done it for me, although a lot more Spanish. I don´t really like any of the coast further east, and if it was my wife choosing, it would be Nerja very time! Really depends what you want, a lot more life for youngsters in Nerja. You might answer some of your questions here,
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowFor...Andalusia.html
http://www.nerjanow.com/NerjaForum/phpBB3/index.php
Thanks for the reply very helpful
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Have a great time, if we can help at all please ask
Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
oh aguiwierdo. You won't ever think anything good of anything. Horrible man.. By the way, still, our bins get emptied at least twice a week..
I thought that was quite a helpful reply - it doesn't say anything bad. Are you being ironic? I don't always get e-emotions right?
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

There is a lot of crime in the super markets so watch out for this. Outside the car parks of Lidls someone distracts you and takes you bag if you leave it in the car on the seat it is over in seconds. Also inside the supermarkets be aware of someone asking you to help them put something back because they cant quite reach, they are operating in a pair and whilst you are helping out the second is helping himself you your wallet or your purse. I have been approached twice by two men on different times and they looked Eastern European and asked me to help them. It is easy to do without realizing that a simple gesture will leave you without you purse or wallet (this was in Aldi´s) but being aware of the situation I called the manager and they run off but a woman in front of me at the till had already been done and when she got to the till to pay her purse was gone! 7 people done in one day inside the Aldi store in Torrox Costa and a futher 5 a few weeks after. There are lots of thefts outside of Lidls as well as inside Mercadona in Nerja. In Torrox Costa we have a crime wave so much so that we are meeting with the Mayor on Wednesday morning to discuss the situation, but be careful in and outside the super markets. My advise is dont carry all your cards with you and not in your purse or wallet together with your cash. If you are going to be here some time take a copies of all of your documents and go to the town hall who will stamp them ie passport, driving license at least they will be safe.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by surreygirl
There is a lot of crime in the super markets so watch out for this. Outside the car parks of Lidls someone distracts you and takes you bag if you leave it in the car on the seat it is over in seconds. Also inside the supermarkets be aware of someone asking you to help them put something back because they cant quite reach, they are operating in a pair and whilst you are helping out the second is helping himself you your wallet or your purse. I have been approached twice by two men on different times and they looked Eastern European and asked me to help them. It is easy to do without realizing that a simple gesture will leave you without you purse or wallet (this was in Aldi´s) but being aware of the situation I called the manager and they run off but a woman in front of me at the till had already been done and when she got to the till to pay her purse was gone! 7 people done in one day inside the Aldi store in Torrox Costa and a futher 5 a few weeks after. There are lots of thefts outside of Lidls as well as inside Mercadona in Nerja. In Torrox Costa we have a crime wave so much so that we are meeting with the Mayor on Wednesday morning to discuss the situation, but be careful in and outside the super markets. My advise is dont carry all your cards with you and not in your purse or wallet together with your cash. If you are going to be here some time take a copies of all of your documents and go to the town hall who will stamp them ie passport, driving license at least they will be safe.
good reply, it seems that most of the crime is spare of the moment stuff. I can cope with that its just being wide awake in the situation.
I was more worried abour burglaries and the dogs being hurt, even though they are big and bark a lot if someone was around, or being mugged.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:17 pm
PCP
Just Joined

PCP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by surreygirl
Useful to know as I shop in Nerja almost everyday, I shall certainly be on my guard in future

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.