Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

negative remarks

negative remarks

Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:33 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by Lynn R
My god, I sound like a Tory - which I'm not. I believe in the old maxim "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need".
You might not want to sound like a Tory but quoting Karl Marx is surely going a bit too far the other way!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:40 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
You hit the nail on the head Maggie, the only thing Britain has going for it is the benefits system. people will always moan but who cares, just look after number 1 & trust me you will love life in Spain.
I do find that an amazing comment, and forgive me for saying .. maybe a little blinkered. The UK is a beautiful country and for those who take the trouble to look, it is filled with fantastic history, architecture and culture.

For every argument against the UK, you can find one for Spain also. No country is Nirvana

It's strange to read of someone wishing to leave the UK to make what they see as a better life for themselves in another country, whilst resenting those who have gone to the UK for exactly the same reasons.
Amen
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggie54
Hi! thanks for your replay, yes, maybe I have'grass is greener' syndrome, but if I don't try, I will never know. Life is short, and it's a lot nicer to wake up hungry to sunshine than to wind and rain. Most of the money Iam earning over the wintermonths (or nearly all year), seems to go to paying gas& el. bills. And what about waterrates!! I pay 46 pounds /month, and if I could use less than I do, I would have to stop washing myself and my clothes. I would not mind so much about the water, BUT IT IS RAINING 8 days out of ten here!! If the waterrates are higher in Spain I can understand that. At least I don't have to pay for single mothers there(I hope). I am sorry that you are so negative, but I am still trying to look positive to the future.
kind regards, Maggie54
Don't forget, that unless you are employed or a pensioner you will have to pay for health services.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:56 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

IMO it is the British education system which is failing our young people and not preparing them properly for the world of work - put this alongside the glorification of so-called celebrities and we end up with a lot of youngsters who are barely literate (in spite of the fact that some of them have been awarded degrees) and yet expect to be able to earn megabucks for very little effort. It grieves me to hear people saying they are not prepared to consider this or that job because "it's not what I really want to do". How many people do they think there are in the world who spend their lives doing what they really want to do, for heaven's sake? The ones who can are the lucky few, the rest of us recognise the need to earn a living and get on with it the best way we can.

Those of us who do not choose to live a life of idleness at the taxpayer's expense, that is. My god, I sound like a Tory - which I'm not. I believe in the old maxim "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need". There are too many people around today who have forgotten the first part of the equation.

It's strange to read of someone wishing to leave the UK to make what they see as a better life for themselves in another country, whilst resenting those who have gone to the UK for exactly the same reasons.
It's a hugely complex problem. For instance there's also this point. Why should you have to do a crap job for low wages when you see people getting huge bonuses for sod all.

Look at an average Joe, earning on average 25K per annum. He will have to work for 40 years to earn GROSS, the million pounds that was given to some of the banking class as a ******* bonus.

I remember the politicians telling nurses that they could only have a 6% rise, spread over 3, or was it more? years. The politicians then turned round and voted them selves a 30% rise effective immediately.

This kind of disparity does nothing to improve matters, and don't talk to me about the dignity of work, or the protestant work ethic. It's all claptrap and bullshit designed to keep the working man toeing the line and not complaining.

I've lived for a brief while 'at the state's expense' and it really wasn't a case of living in luxury, or anything approaching that, and I was damn glad that I had a job lined up, 'cos I'd hate to have to live on it, that's for sure.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:06 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The ones who settle in best are those who leave the UK because there is somewhere else they would prefer to live. Not leave because it's full if immigrants, benefit cheats or whatever.... If you do leave hating it and with the rose tints on then about 3 years down the line you will feel let down. Same shit different country. Infact for some there can even be more shit. When I read some posts about the UK I often wonder where they lived in the UK. Council flat in Bolton or somewhere (apologies to Bolton, I don't know the place!)

There are some who have lived in Spain so long they don't see a way forward to get out. Instead they sit in bars whinging all the time and getting stressed out.

BTW sterling down again this morning, if on a UK income there is always a possibility it could reach parity.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I do find that an amazing comment, and forgive me for saying .. maybe a little blinkered.
Is this not the man that still commutes back to a North Sea oil platform?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:25 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Is this not the man that still commutes back to a North Sea oil platform?
I dont know .... I guess if his view on life in the UK is from a North Sea Oil platform then I would have to defer to him
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:30 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The ones who settle in best are those who leave the UK because there is somewhere else they would prefer to live. Not leave because it's full if immigrants, benefit cheats or whatever.... If you do leave hating it and with the rose tints on then about 3 years down the line you will feel let down. Same shit different country. Infact for some there can even be more shit. When I read some posts about the UK I often wonder where they lived in the UK. Council flat in Bolton or somewhere (apologies to Bolton, I don't know the place!)

There are some who have lived in Spain so long they don't see a way forward to get out. Instead they sit in bars whinging all the time and getting stressed out.

BTW sterling down again this morning, if on a UK income there is always a possibility it could reach parity.
Heh heh, you're right ... I've said it before myself. If you are moving to Spain because you are trying to escape your bad feelings about the UK then it doesn't mean that you will be happy where you end up.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:02 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We left the UK for no other reason than we took early retirement we thought that we would like to live in Spain. My proviso was that we would give it a year to find out whether we actually liked it enough to stay. Been here nearly 5 years, the last 16 months have been hell but it has not stopped us from deciding that we do still like living here so we are staying at the moment but we do not say that we will never go back to UK.

Rosemary
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

maggie54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Don't forget, that unless you are employed or a pensioner you will have to pay for health services.
I know that, but thank you very much!
kind regards, Maggie54
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
It's a hugely complex problem. For instance there's also this point. Why should you have to do a crap job for low wages when you see people getting huge bonuses for sod all.

Look at an average Joe, earning on average 25K per annum. He will have to work for 40 years to earn GROSS, the million pounds that was given to some of the banking class as a ******* bonus.

I remember the politicians telling nurses that they could only have a 6% rise, spread over 3, or was it more? years. The politicians then turned round and voted them selves a 30% rise effective immediately.

This kind of disparity does nothing to improve matters, and don't talk to me about the dignity of work, or the protestant work ethic. It's all claptrap and bullshit designed to keep the working man toeing the line and not complaining.

I've lived for a brief while 'at the state's expense' and it really wasn't a case of living in luxury, or anything approaching that, and I was damn glad that I had a job lined up, 'cos I'd hate to have to live on it, that's for sure.
Believe me, I have no time for greedy bankers, prima donna footballers or hypocritical politicians, either. But if we continue to think that it's OK for people to opt out of contributing to the upkeep of society because the alternative would be for them to have to endure an unfulfilling job, just who is going to be paying for them as more and more people start to think hang on, who is the idiot here, I'll have some of that as well.

I lost all patience with my stepson a few years ago when, after having studied music (great choice, how many people manage to make a career out of that) he refused to entertain the idea of applying for any job just to earn his own money for a change and actually said "I'm not going to work in a factory with all those brain dead people, it would do my head in". I told him I had a lot more respect for those brain dead people than I did for him, as it was the taxes they were paying that were subsidising his lifestyle. In his early '30s now he is working in a cinema whilst living with his mother and having his slacker lifestyle subsidised by her. More fool her.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

maggie54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol
I never understand people who give the reason for coming to Spain as an immigrant that there are too many immigrants in the UK

At least most of the Polish immigrants in the UK speak or are learning English. Do you speak Spanish?
Si, habla espanol, and swedish, and norweigian, and german, and a little french!!
Saluda, maggie54
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:20 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggie54

Si, habla espanol, and swedish, and norweigian, and german, and a little french!!
Saluda, maggie54
Who speaks Spanish?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JLFS
Who speaks Spanish?

My Spanish is not good so I always try to end with an O or start with a YO.

I can see that the other poster isnt correct but top marks to her for trying
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Mataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really nice

When I first came over, my thoughts were, 'give it a try, if it doesn't work out you can always go back'.

As people said before there are positives and negatives about where ever you live.

I have to say though that the first 6 months can be very hard, especially if you don't know anyone in the area. My advice is to get out and about and speak to the locals, they'll be more than happy to help you. Ask them for advice and don't hide away in your home. If you have kids, they'll be a great help in getting involved with the community. You'll find that they don't mind helping you with the language, although you'll always find a few miserable 'beeps' who won't give you the time of day, but you find them everywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.