Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

negative remarks

negative remarks

Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:38 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by Mataroni
I DO see the hard luck stories here in Spain too. I made a comparision of having a 'neverending' supply of benefits in UK, whereas here you have a time limit. Also here people have different work ethics, on the whole.

However, there are negatives, such as special help being given to immigrants here, and local born people being denied them. As with any system there are positives and negatives. I believe that more help SHOULD be given to single parents and other groups here. But you can't have everything. It is kind of ironic that many of the people on here who complain are retired and living off pensions from Britain though!
Pensioners are not given money for nothing, they have earned their pension and at retirement age they have the choice of spending their money in whatever country they chose to live in, all above board.

Spain just happens to be one of those countries, so I dont see it as ironic.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:39 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

What an amazing thread. Some new posters here, with good points. Plus I agree with Agoreira that there are still good British workers, when they are given the chance. Best wishes to the op, a good attitude and willingness to ask advice, can be half the battle.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:40 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lou25
Hi Maggie!
I couldn't agree more with you here about the negative remarks!
I have found exactly the same problem, I have actually stopped coming on here quite a bit as I hasrdly find it helpful, when I do look things up or ask a question I find I get all negativity and actually a lot of people ask me why I'm even doing it...I mean isn't the whole point of this site to help each other out if we choose to move abroad?That's the reason of this site and I think some people use this to voice very negative opinions and basically give a bit of abuse at times.
The point is, there are positives and negatives, whether you like it or not.

Not everyone who tells you 'It's great' is your friend, and not everyone negative is your enemy.

What you perceive as negativity may just be the cold water of realism.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:41 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
What an amazing thread. Some new posters here, with good points. Plus I agree with Agoreira that there are still good British workers, when they are given the chance. Best wishes to the op, a good attitude and willingness to ask advice, can be half the battle.
Well, if there weren't some good workers, then the UK really would be in the shit.

However, there is a big slice of underclass that has no interest whatsoever in working.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:50 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, if there weren't some good workers, then the UK really would be in the shit.

However, there is a big slice of underclass that has no interest whatsoever in working.
From what I've seen, a lot of it is down to loss of confidence. How does the unemployed school leaver compete with the confident multi lingual Pole? I agree that attitudes need to change, but we make it too hard for the youngsters when we constantly knock them. Just my opinion, I'm sure most will disagree. As I said, it's sad.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:55 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Come over to Spain by all means, but dont burn your UK bridges and always keep a bit of money by to pay for your return if you have to. Just remember the sunshine 8 months a year doesnt pay bills. Maybe the novelty has worn off for alot of us living here and now all we can see is the reality - dont knock or ignore it. I love it here as much as anyone else, but I can certainly say this much, we'd be financially soooooo much better off in the UK.

As for foreigners taking jobs in the UK, well they do it here too, eventho the Spanish only generally employ other spanish (mainly only family or friends), but alot of polish come over and work for so little that its hard for them to refuse

Jo xx
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Come over to Spain by all means, but dont burn your UK bridges and always keep a bit of money by to pay for your return if you have to. Just remember the sunshine 8 months a year doesnt pay bills. Maybe the novelty has worn off for alot of us living here and now all we can see is the reality - dont knock or ignore it. I love it here as much as anyone else, but I can certainly say this much, we'd be financially soooooo much better off in the UK.

As for foreigners taking jobs in the UK, well they do it here too, eventho the Spanish only generally employ other spanish (mainly only family or friends), but alot of polish come over and work for so little that its hard for them to refuse

Jo xx
Advising people to keep some money aside for the journey home may be seen as negative to some, especially the ones who want to hear, "go for it" if it is your dream but it is very sound advice,

There have been so many comings and goings and some went back with the clothes they stood up in an very little else, after selling all they had in the UK-

They belived the "if you want it badly enough you will suceed" theory, which is not foolproof.

Not burning all your bridges is the best advice, because even for the most determined, things can go wrong, or simply not be what is expected.

Better to rent out the house in the UK rather than sell and rent here.

If things are meant to work out they will, if not, well there is always plan B.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
From what I've seen, a lot of it is down to loss of confidence. How does the unemployed school leaver compete with the confident multi lingual Pole? I agree that attitudes need to change, but we make it too hard for the youngsters when we constantly knock them. Just my opinion, I'm sure most will disagree. As I said, it's sad.
I agree with you. If you are not able to "talk the talk" giving all the bull shit you don´t get the job even those on minimum wage. I feel sorry for youngsters today.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
The point is, there are positives and negatives, whether you like it or not.

Not everyone who tells you 'It's great' is your friend, and not everyone negative is your enemy.

What you perceive as negativity may just be the cold water of realism.
What a nice turn of phrase.....
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Costa de la Luz. Definitely NOT 'Britain in the sun' thank goodness.
Hear, hear. Andalucia at it´s best.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:26 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by JLFS
What a nice turn of phrase.....
Thank you. It is sadly true that most people don't want to hear anything other than that which reinforces their opinions.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame really. In 5 years or so of being on this forum I have seen people come and go. I've seen people be given good (negative) advice and ignore it. I've seen people return to the UK after ignoring the advice.

I've seen others make a go of it and make their dreams a reality.

One thing though I think I'm fairly sure of. You have to be a certain kind of person to leave the country that is your home, where you were born and bred, and shuffle off to a new country where you don't know the language, don't understand the way things are done, and will be away from your friends and family.

To those of you that worry about negativity on this forum ... well ... it is based on peoples experiences here. People you should listen to. Not everything is good. There's bound to be some aspect of negativity. Counterbalance that with the positive comments and try to get a balanced view. But do not dismiss negativity as just people moaning. There is a story and background to that negativity that should not be ignored.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggie54
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY
You hit the nail on the head Maggie, the only thing Britain has going for it is the benefits system. people will always moan but who cares, just look after number 1 & trust me you will love life in Spain.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
You do actually get dole when you lose your job, but only according to what you have paid into the SS.

Although I agree that there is a lot of scroungers and lay abouts in the UK, and quite honestly I did begrudge paying my taxes to help support the "professional" bums, I still find that I am still shocked when I hear some of the hard luck stories about people losing jobs in Spain.

I would have thought that you would have the same feelings as me, as you live in a mainly Spanish community, and would see lots of genuine cases of real need amonst the locals, who may have fallen on hard times due to crisis, ilness or whatever.
There always will be abusers of the system, but for the genuine one's in trouble, that have lost their job etc, the UK benefits setup is a vital financial safety net. And whilst most of the Poles are good workers, let's not suppose that they all are, there are immigrants from all manner of countries on benefits in UK. Reading a Spanish in UK forum, there are contributors there that seem to know the UK benefits system inside out, they are certainly not above claiming either. Whilst loads of Brits do make claims, there are thousands of others that don't apply for monies that they are entitled to, the benefits budget is always well under subscribed, there is always a lot more allocated than is actually claimed.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

IMO it is the British education system which is failing our young people and not preparing them properly for the world of work - put this alongside the glorification of so-called celebrities and we end up with a lot of youngsters who are barely literate (in spite of the fact that some of them have been awarded degrees) and yet expect to be able to earn megabucks for very little effort. It grieves me to hear people saying they are not prepared to consider this or that job because "it's not what I really want to do". How many people do they think there are in the world who spend their lives doing what they really want to do, for heaven's sake? The ones who can are the lucky few, the rest of us recognise the need to earn a living and get on with it the best way we can.

Those of us who do not choose to live a life of idleness at the taxpayer's expense, that is. My god, I sound like a Tory - which I'm not. I believe in the old maxim "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need". There are too many people around today who have forgotten the first part of the equation.

It's strange to read of someone wishing to leave the UK to make what they see as a better life for themselves in another country, whilst resenting those who have gone to the UK for exactly the same reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.