British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   negative remarks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/negative-remarks-711049/)

maggie54 Mar 27th 2011 4:44 pm

negative remarks
 
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY :)

mrsjdr Mar 27th 2011 4:49 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
Moved here 10 years ago, and no regrets, best thing we ever did, should have done it sooner.....but saying that, it does depend on where,how,when, age, retired, need to work etc., etc., everyone is different...hope all goes well for you

bil Mar 27th 2011 4:51 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by maggie54 (Post 9267684)
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY :)


You'll get for and against. That's life. As the last poster said, it also depends on whether you are retired, looking for work etc. We are retired, and love it here.

As to the Poles taking over. Did you see the programme about it where they offered some of the unemployed (who were whining about the Poles etc taking their jobs) jobs that the Poles were doing?

Of the whole lot there was one who had got qualifications in his line of work, got down to it and was offered a full time job.

The rest were without exception lazy, idle, shiftless and mostly useless. Half of them couldn't be arsed to turn up.

That is why the Poles are 'taking over'.

cricketman Mar 27th 2011 4:55 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by maggie54 (Post 9267684)
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY :)

You want to become an immigrant in Spain because there are too many immigrants in the UK :blink:

Sorry, that is pathetic, and proves you dont know much about Spain either. There have been 5 million immigrants to Spain over the past 10 years, yes even higher than in the UK!

And you will be very very luckly to get a job in Spain that is better than one in the UK, unless you speak fluent Spanish, are very qualified and know people in the right companies. I am afraid you just have "grass is greener" syndrome. Waking up in the sun is no good when you are hungry!

betris Mar 27th 2011 4:56 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by maggie54 (Post 9267684)
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY :)

maggie how are you going to keep your self.savings.uk dole.pension.work?tell us pease

Rosemary Mar 27th 2011 5:07 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
I would not have moved here if we had needed to find work and there are so many Spanish people looking for work at the moment that I think anyone moving from UK looking for work will find it very, very difficult.

We rarely say anything negative about Spain as we took early retirement to come here so not had too many problems to be negative about. For us it was a good move and a good experience. Our negative experience has been due to OH´s health problems in the last 16 months but that is nothing to do with Spain and to be honest I do wonder whether he would be alive today if we had been receiving treatment in the UK rather than in Spain.

Life here is what you make it, if you are a negative person looking for things to moan about then there is plenty to keep you going. If on the other hand you enjoy different experiences and can find the positives in life there are a whole lot more than you would expect.

Rosemary

whitelinen Mar 27th 2011 5:12 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267691)
Did you see the programme about it where they offered some of the unemployed (who were whining about the Poles etc taking their jobs) jobs that the Poles were doing?

Of the whole lot there was one who had got qualifications in his line of work, got down to it and was offered a full time job.

The rest were without exception lazy, idle, shiftless and mostly useless. Half of them couldn't be arsed to turn up.

That is why the Poles are 'taking over'.

No it is not the reason at all.

The programme you refer to deliberately picked the feckless to appear on the programme. It is the type of programme that idiots watch who then try and tar every other Brit with the same brush.

maggie54 Mar 27th 2011 5:13 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
Hi! thanks for your replay, yes, maybe I have'grass is greener' syndrome, but if I don't try, I will never know. Life is short, and it's a lot nicer to wake up hungry to sunshine than to wind and rain. Most of the money Iam earning over the wintermonths (or nearly all year), seems to go to paying gas& el. bills. And what about waterrates!! I pay 46 pounds /month, and if I could use less than I do, I would have to stop washing myself and my clothes. I would not mind so much about the water, BUT IT IS RAINING 8 days out of ten here!! If the waterrates are higher in Spain I can understand that. At least I don't have to pay for single mothers there(I hope). I am sorry that you are so negative, but I am still trying to look positive to the future.
kind regards, Maggie54

jackytoo Mar 27th 2011 5:15 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
I think the Polish have been an asset to the UK. Many are working in hotels and catering and they are very hard working.

cricketman Mar 27th 2011 5:19 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by maggie54 (Post 9267741)
Hi! thanks for your replay, yes, maybe I have'grass is greener' syndrome, but if I don't try, I will never know. Life is short, and it's a lot nicer to wake up hungry to sunshine than to wind and rain. Most of the money Iam earning over the wintermonths (or nearly all year), seems to go to paying gas& el. bills. And what about waterrates!! I pay 46 pounds /month, and if I could use less than I do, I would have to stop washing myself and my clothes. I would not mind so much about the water, BUT IT IS RAINING 8 days out of ten here!! If the waterrates are higher in Spain I can understand that. At least I don't have to pay for single mothers there(I hope). I am sorry that you are so negative, but I am still trying to look positive to the future.
kind regards, Maggie54

Poor single mothers, what have they ever done to hurt you :)

In Spain you will be paying for the unemployed as there is 20% unemployed, compared to 8% in the UK.

If you can fund yourself or you know someone who can give you a job then sure give it a go. You can live well and relatively cheaply in lots of places in Spain. But if you dont have a job and have no income you will have to rely on charities or hunt through the dustbins as you will not be entitled for benefits in Spain until you start paying into the system, and long-term they are a lot less generous than in the UK.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:20 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9267747)
I think the Polish have been an asset to the UK. Many are working in hotels and catering and they are very hard working.

Yep.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:26 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9267735)
No it is not the reason at all.

The programme you refer to deliberately picked the feckless to appear on the programme. It is the type of programme that idiots watch who then try and tar every other Brit with the same brush.

Really? But I forget just how much of an expert you are. The rest of us just gaze in awe at your vast experience.

In the last 30 years we took on 16 people. With two or three exceptions, they were either thieves, incompetent, unreliable or just unwilling to do a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

When we took someone on, we would usually look thru 20 to 30 applicants. In the end we stopped asking for applicants from the Jobcentre as none of them wanted a job.

Of course you overlook the person they picked who worked hard and got down to it. Which, quel surprise! turned out to be the winning formula.

So, oh expert on employment, if the majority of UK unemployed are hard working diligent types, how the hell do these poles get to take their jobs?

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 5:29 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by maggie54 (Post 9267684)
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY :)

Hi Maggie, If you have no need to work then there is no reason not to go ahead with the move to Spain.

Looking for a job is another matter, you have mentioned the E Europeans taking jobs in the UK, there are quite a lot here, and some will work without contracts and undercut the local workforce, the same applies to South Americans, I think it is the same the world over, and always will be.

The general advice seems to be to rent a place and then see where you want to buy, iif you want to buy at all.:)

cricketman Mar 27th 2011 5:32 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267784)

So, oh expert on employment, if the majority of UK unemployed are hard working diligent types, how the hell do these poles get to take their jobs?


In London we got ripped off by some British plumbers. We deliberately paid a bit more for what we thought were well know local plumbers and they charged top whack and then ran off without finishing the job.

Next time round we got 3 quotes in for a redecorating job and gave it to a couple of Bulgarians who quoted less than half the price of the other two. Goes without saying they did a great job.

Nationality is an unreliable way to find a good worker. You need to give the job to people who want to do them, not those who what to make a quick buck or get paid for doing as little as possible.

Mama_Carol Mar 27th 2011 6:13 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
I never understand people who give the reason for coming to Spain as an immigrant that there are too many immigrants in the UK :frown:

At least most of the Polish immigrants in the UK speak or are learning English. Do you speak Spanish?

betris Mar 27th 2011 6:34 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267691)
You'll get for and against. That's life. As the last poster said, it also depends on whether you are retired, looking for work etc. We are retired, and love it here.

As to the Poles taking over. Did you see the programme about it where they offered some of the unemployed (who were whining about the Poles etc taking their jobs) jobs that the Poles were doing?

Of the whole lot there was one who had got qualifications in his line of work, got down to it and was offered a full time job.

The rest were without exception lazy, idle, shiftless and mostly useless. Half of them couldn't be arsed to turn up.

That is why the Poles are 'taking over'.

bill it annoyes me when they say the poles are taking over.they dont know history.the poles saved the day in the battle of britain.if it wasnt for the poles we would be all speakng german.then they were stabed in the back by the british and slaughted in there thousands by starln

steviedeluxe Mar 27th 2011 6:45 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
If you're young enough to learn the language, it may be worth a go. For once I agree with WhiteLinen. It seems that native Brits are written off as lazy and feckless by their own people. Very sad.

The Capitans Wench Mar 27th 2011 6:51 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by maggie54 (Post 9267684)
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY :)

If you only want the rosy version you won't get it, people normally tell how it is for them and it ain't all good. Just the same as everywhere else. Single mothers hahaha yeah takes two... about the fathers ???
I was an employer and found most native candidates that bothered to turn up did so or they would not get their dole money. Work NOOOO they did not want it. Any Polish I know are damned hard working and reliable.

Brits and others have taken over areas here and don't think that all the spanish are happy about that either. Yes it sad that many ex pats here are no credit to anyone and not even trusted by their own. It is true many are.

I came here for different reason to most, I was lucky and still am, not to work nor claim from any country either.

If you have a good command of the language, have a tidy sum you can lose or have work already lined up it may well work for you. If you are committed to the move good luck. Life is what you make it no matter where you are. In my changed circumstances I am going to male the best of life here that I can.

celestine Mar 27th 2011 6:53 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by maggie54 (Post 9267741)
Hi! thanks for your replay, yes, maybe I have'grass is greener' syndrome, but if I don't try, I will never know. Life is short, and it's a lot nicer to wake up hungry to sunshine than to wind and rain. Most of the money Iam earning over the wintermonths (or nearly all year), seems to go to paying gas& el. bills. And what about waterrates!! I pay 46 pounds /month, and if I could use less than I do, I would have to stop washing myself and my clothes. I would not mind so much about the water, BUT IT IS RAINING 8 days out of ten here!! If the waterrates are higher in Spain I can understand that. At least I don't have to pay for single mothers there(I hope). I am sorry that you are so negative, but I am still trying to look positive to the future.
kind regards, Maggie54

I would agree that life is short and often to not take risks in life leads to regret, however to approach a new life with 'rose tinted specs' will only lead to heartache and disappointment. As people have previously posted the quality of life here will depend on many factors as will the cost of living and your lifestyle. The sun can be a wonderful thing to wake up to but the weather is not always favourable or pleasant and in the summer months you will spend most of your money trying to keep cool, whilst in the winter months attempting to keep warm. The cost of maintaining your home here is much higher as house maintenance is an annual event and much more time consuming due to the building materials used to construct the houses and the extremes in temperature. Living here is very different to venturing on to a plane to experience a relaxing holiday and the isolation can often be overpowering.

Your attitude to immigrants is stunning and as previous posts state you will become an immigrant once you leave the UK, not everyone here welcomes 'immigrants' here either!

Driving without due care and attention, speeding, drink driving, driving whilst disqualified or uninsured, using mobiles whilst in charge of a vehicle, drinking on the streets, drug use etc exist here too, they do not go away when the sun shines.

I hope that whatever choices you make turn out well for you and that life in the sun is all you expect, I think people who have attempted to live the dream are just trying to say that maybe a more realistic approach to your move is more advisable.

My final point refers to 'single mothers'. May I point out single mothers are not always single through choice and do not always exist on benefits, neither do they exist only in the UK. There are plenty of women raising children alone in Spain too!

jackytoo Mar 27th 2011 7:01 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
What a good post, karma for you:)

bil Mar 27th 2011 7:29 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9267925)
If you're young enough to learn the language, it may be worth a go. For once I agree with WhiteLinen. It seems that native Brits are written off as lazy and feckless by their own people. Very sad.

Really? Ever had any experience in employing Brits like I have?

I repeat, if the brits are so good and so willing to work, they how come there are jobs left for immigrants?

betris Mar 27th 2011 7:31 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 9267936)
If you only want the rosy version you won't get it, people normally tell how it is for them and it ain't all good. Just the same as everywhere else. Single mothers hahaha yeah takes two... about the fathers ???
I was an employer and found most native candidates that bothered to turn up did so or they would not get their dole money. Work NOOOO they did not want it. Any Polish I know are damned hard working and reliable.

Brits and others have taken over areas here and don't think that all the spanish are happy about that either. Yes it sad that many ex pats here are no credit to anyone and not even trusted by their own. It is true many are.

I came here for different reason to most, I was lucky and still am, not to work nor claim from any country either.

If you have a good command of the language, have a tidy sum you can lose or have work already lined up it may well work for you. If you are committed to the move good luck. Life is what you make it no matter where you are. In my changed circumstances I am going to male the best of life here that I can.

CW i was winding you up the other day by way.:wub:

missile Mar 27th 2011 7:45 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by maggie54 (Post 9267684)
I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! ... BE HAPPY :)

It is not easy to earn a living in the hospitality trade here in spain. With your possitive out look on life, I hope you find the happiness you seek.

agoreira Mar 27th 2011 8:25 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267989)
Really? Ever had any experience in employing Brits like I have?

Nope, but I've had experience of working alongside hundreds of excellent and dedicated workers. It's absolute nonsense (although not unexpected from you) to write off the whole of the UK workforce as absolute lazy tossers, how does the country ever function with such a workforce. Unfortunately, there will always be some reluctant to work, and whilst not excusing it, I can understand why they don't want the low paid jobs the Poles are taking when they get paid far more by staying on the dole, or whatever they call it. I know such a character and it's unbelievable the benefits he gets for his family, he'd need to be a brain surgeon to bring home that amount of money! ;) It makes no sense to work in some freezing field picking veg to earn less than you can by staying at home in the warm. Perhaps the reason you ended up with deadbeats says something about your selection procedure, or the type of candidates you were attracting.

bil Mar 27th 2011 8:44 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9268071)
Nope, but I've had experience of working alongside hundreds of excellent and dedicated workers. It's absolute nonsense (although not unexpected from you) to write off the whole of the UK workforce as absolute lazy tossers, how does the country ever function with such a workforce. Unfortunately, there will always be some reluctant to work, and whilst not excusing it, I can understand why they don't want the low paid jobs the Poles are taking when they get paid far more by staying on the dole, or whatever they call it. I know such a character and it's unbelievable the benefits he gets for his family, he'd need to be a brain surgeon to bring home that amount of money! ;) It makes no sense to work in some freezing field picking veg to earn less than you can by staying at home in the warm. Perhaps the reason you ended up with deadbeats says something about your selection procedure, or the type of candidates you were attracting.

Absolutely. It had to be our fault, eh?

I'm not saying there's no good workers in the UK.

It's just that when someone says 'the Poles are taking over,' I say, the only reason that they can 'take over' is if the incumbent workers won't touch the work.

Say what you will, there is a big slice of the workforce that is only fit for pet food.

Mataroni Mar 27th 2011 9:11 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
I've lived in Spain for 11 years and see that things are very different here. If you don't work you're not entitled to any unempolyment benefits should you lose your job. Great because you don't end up paying to support lazy lay-abouts!

I love it here, but you've got to be prepared to integrate and learn the language. I did both Spanish and Catalan classes.

I see that a lot of people on here live in Andalucia, which is a very nice region, but depending on where you live is like 'Britain in the sun'. Which is all very well, if that's what you like.

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 9:21 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by Mataroni (Post 9268120)
I've lived in Spain for 11 years and see that things are very different here. If you don't work you're not entitled to any unempolyment benefits should you lose your job. Great because you don't end up paying to support lazy lay-abouts!

I love it here, but you've got to be prepared to integrate and learn the language. I did both Spanish and Catalan classes.

I see that a lot of people on here live in Andalucia, which is a very nice region, but depending on where you live is like 'Britain in the sun'. Which is all very well, if that's what you like.


You do actually get dole when you lose your job, but only according to what you have paid into the SS.

Although I agree that there is a lot of scroungers and lay abouts in the UK, and quite honestly I did begrudge paying my taxes to help support the "professional" bums, I still find that I am still shocked when I hear some of the hard luck stories about people losing jobs in Spain.

I would have thought that you would have the same feelings as me, as you live in a mainly Spanish community, and would see lots of genuine cases of real need amonst the locals, who may have fallen on hard times due to crisis, ilness or whatever.

lou25 Mar 27th 2011 9:28 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by maggie54 (Post 9267684)
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY :)

Hi Maggie!
I couldn't agree more with you here about the negative remarks!
I have found exactly the same problem, I have actually stopped coming on here quite a bit as I hasrdly find it helpful, when I do look things up or ask a question I find I get all negativity and actually a lot of people ask me why I'm even doing it...I mean isn't the whole point of this site to help each other out if we choose to move abroad?That's the reason of this site and I think some people use this to voice very negative opinions and basically give a bit of abuse at times.

Although saying that this is only a small proportion, I must say the people on here that have helped me have been very helpful and given me great links and advice and I really appreciate it very very much.

At the end of the day someone has the guts to get up and make a move and needs a little bit of support or help, if you know the answers give them, but don't then make it into a negative argument. Of course it's not all rosy were not stupid, but what's the point in going into it negitive-you wouldn't bother would you.

You have to stay positive and be prepared for the hardship, as yea sure it is hard, i've done a move abroad before and know all to well but if someone asked me about it I would tell them the most important thing is to weigh up the options, stay positive and go for it!!!! :D

Mataroni Mar 27th 2011 9:30 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
I DO see the hard luck stories here in Spain too. I made a comparision of having a 'neverending' supply of benefits in UK, whereas here you have a time limit. Also here people have different work ethics, on the whole.

However, there are negatives, such as special help being given to immigrants here, and local born people being denied them. As with any system there are positives and negatives. I believe that more help SHOULD be given to single parents and other groups here. But you can't have everything. It is kind of ironic that many of the people on here who complain are retired and living off pensions from Britain though!

bil Mar 27th 2011 9:37 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by Mataroni (Post 9268120)
I've lived in Spain for 11 years and see that things are very different here. If you don't work you're not entitled to any unempolyment benefits should you lose your job. Great because you don't end up paying to support lazy lay-abouts!

I love it here, but you've got to be prepared to integrate and learn the language. I did both Spanish and Catalan classes.

I see that a lot of people on here live in Andalucia, which is a very nice region, but depending on where you live is like 'Britain in the sun'. Which is all very well, if that's what you like.

Costa de la Luz. Definitely NOT 'Britain in the sun' thank goodness.

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 9:38 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by Mataroni (Post 9268152)
I DO see the hard luck stories here in Spain too. I made a comparision of having a 'neverending' supply of benefits in UK, whereas here you have a time limit. Also here people have different work ethics, on the whole.

However, there are negatives, such as special help being given to immigrants here, and local born people being denied them. As with any system there are positives and negatives. I believe that more help SHOULD be given to single parents and other groups here. But you can't have everything. It is kind of ironic that many of the people on here who complain are retired and living off pensions from Britain though!

Pensioners are not given money for nothing, they have earned their pension and at retirement age they have the choice of spending their money in whatever country they chose to live in, all above board.

Spain just happens to be one of those countries, so I dont see it as ironic.

steviedeluxe Mar 27th 2011 9:39 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
What an amazing thread. Some new posters here, with good points. Plus I agree with Agoreira that there are still good British workers, when they are given the chance. Best wishes to the op, a good attitude and willingness to ask advice, can be half the battle.

bil Mar 27th 2011 9:40 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by lou25 (Post 9268151)
Hi Maggie!
I couldn't agree more with you here about the negative remarks!
I have found exactly the same problem, I have actually stopped coming on here quite a bit as I hasrdly find it helpful, when I do look things up or ask a question I find I get all negativity and actually a lot of people ask me why I'm even doing it...I mean isn't the whole point of this site to help each other out if we choose to move abroad?That's the reason of this site and I think some people use this to voice very negative opinions and basically give a bit of abuse at times.

The point is, there are positives and negatives, whether you like it or not.

Not everyone who tells you 'It's great' is your friend, and not everyone negative is your enemy.

What you perceive as negativity may just be the cold water of realism.

bil Mar 27th 2011 9:41 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9268169)
What an amazing thread. Some new posters here, with good points. Plus I agree with Agoreira that there are still good British workers, when they are given the chance. Best wishes to the op, a good attitude and willingness to ask advice, can be half the battle.

Well, if there weren't some good workers, then the UK really would be in the shit.

However, there is a big slice of underclass that has no interest whatsoever in working.

steviedeluxe Mar 27th 2011 9:50 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9268174)
Well, if there weren't some good workers, then the UK really would be in the shit.

However, there is a big slice of underclass that has no interest whatsoever in working.

From what I've seen, a lot of it is down to loss of confidence. How does the unemployed school leaver compete with the confident multi lingual Pole? I agree that attitudes need to change, but we make it too hard for the youngsters when we constantly knock them. Just my opinion, I'm sure most will disagree. As I said, it's sad.

jojojojojo Mar 27th 2011 9:55 pm

Re: negative remarks
 
Come over to Spain by all means, but dont burn your UK bridges and always keep a bit of money by to pay for your return if you have to. Just remember the sunshine 8 months a year doesnt pay bills. Maybe the novelty has worn off for alot of us living here and now all we can see is the reality - dont knock or ignore it. I love it here as much as anyone else, but I can certainly say this much, we'd be financially soooooo much better off in the UK.

As for foreigners taking jobs in the UK, well they do it here too, eventho the Spanish only generally employ other spanish (mainly only family or friends), but alot of polish come over and work for so little that its hard for them to refuse

Jo xx

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 10:04 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 9268194)
Come over to Spain by all means, but dont burn your UK bridges and always keep a bit of money by to pay for your return if you have to. Just remember the sunshine 8 months a year doesnt pay bills. Maybe the novelty has worn off for alot of us living here and now all we can see is the reality - dont knock or ignore it. I love it here as much as anyone else, but I can certainly say this much, we'd be financially soooooo much better off in the UK.

As for foreigners taking jobs in the UK, well they do it here too, eventho the Spanish only generally employ other spanish (mainly only family or friends), but alot of polish come over and work for so little that its hard for them to refuse

Jo xx

Advising people to keep some money aside for the journey home may be seen as negative to some, especially the ones who want to hear, "go for it" if it is your dream but it is very sound advice,

There have been so many comings and goings and some went back with the clothes they stood up in an very little else, after selling all they had in the UK-

They belived the "if you want it badly enough you will suceed" theory, which is not foolproof.

Not burning all your bridges is the best advice, because even for the most determined, things can go wrong, or simply not be what is expected.

Better to rent out the house in the UK rather than sell and rent here.

If things are meant to work out they will, if not, well there is always plan B.

Chiclanagir Mar 27th 2011 10:14 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9268188)
From what I've seen, a lot of it is down to loss of confidence. How does the unemployed school leaver compete with the confident multi lingual Pole? I agree that attitudes need to change, but we make it too hard for the youngsters when we constantly knock them. Just my opinion, I'm sure most will disagree. As I said, it's sad.

I agree with you. If you are not able to "talk the talk" giving all the bull shit you don´t get the job even those on minimum wage. I feel sorry for youngsters today.

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 10:19 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9268170)
The point is, there are positives and negatives, whether you like it or not.

Not everyone who tells you 'It's great' is your friend, and not everyone negative is your enemy.

What you perceive as negativity may just be the cold water of realism.

What a nice turn of phrase.....:)

Chiclanagir Mar 27th 2011 10:20 pm

Re: negative remarks
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9268163)
Costa de la Luz. Definitely NOT 'Britain in the sun' thank goodness.

Hear, hear. Andalucia at it´s best.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:32 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.