Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Needed: Partner in crime to help find the escape hatch from England!

Needed: Partner in crime to help find the escape hatch from England!

Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

LostInBritain will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Needed: Partner in crime to help find the escape hatch from England!

Okay lads n lasses,

I am *sick* of this country at the moment, and practically everything it's got going for it... The weather's miserable, the people are miserable, my job's pretty damn miserable too.

Anyways, I wanna pick up sticks, throw caution to the wind, and escape to sunnier climes... I've not got much money (if any) behind me, so I'm lookin for someone who's up for surviving on a limited budget.

I'm not looking for someone to spend the rest of my life with, ideally just someone sound, who's in the same position as me and doesn't really fancy the idea of goin it alone. Male or female, it fusses me not, just so long as it looks like we'll get on... Lookin for someone in the age range of 18 > 35ish.

The plan would be to move out to Spain, get our feet on the ground and try and discover some way of existing that didn't involve sitting in horrible little offices all day long. I don't mind working, just so long as I can sit on the veranda at the end of the day sipping a San Miguel or a Sangria.

About me, I'm 32, I like music n love movies, I'm chilled out and just wanna enjoy this life business! I have facebook and myspace pages and all that whatnot for anyone who's interested, so's we can figure if we'd hate each others cd collections or not.

Anyway... I'm rambling... if you think you might somehow fit the bill, get in touch pronto and let's at least have a natter about the hell that is England and the heaven that is the Costas!

Luke. x
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:39 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Needed: Partner in crime to help find the escape hatch from England!

Hi Luke

It isn't as easy as it seems moving to Spain, if you read through a few threads you will see the many obstacles before you. My daughter is 30 and she has given up and moving back to the UK with us - and we are all looking forward to going home.

Saying that Onlineamiga made a success of it when he moved over alone last year. Look out for his threads.

Good Luck
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Needed: Partner in crime to help find the escape hatch from England!

Originally Posted by LostInBritain
Okay lads n lasses, Lookin for someone in the age range of 18 > 35ish.
Luke. x
If only you was a bird lol

Seriously, good luck mate, looking to do the same but I want some dosh behind me, but probably not in a much difff position to you, other than i have a bird who is not as keen,
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Nashima is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been to Goa three times and after my last visit made my mind up to move somewhere with a hot climate and relaxed lifestyle. A few months later I met someone who had the same dreams. So after only knowing each other for four months we moved to the Algarve, Portugal. We found one of the last cheapest houses to buy and are still renovating it after two years. I never want to move back to England as the place depresses me. When the sun is shining and you are drinking a glass of good (cheap) Portuguese wine. Then you know you have made the right choice.

So make the move! with someone or on your own. You will not regret it.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do for the 4 months of the year(at least) when ths sun doesn't shine?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Blimey!

So many replies... I wasn't expecting that kinda feedback straight away... Seems I've found the right forum to frequent at least. So, let's give everyone a decent reply.

Lionda:
I appreciate the advice, but at the same time, I'd rather be having a hard time surviving in the sunshine, than I would surviving in Portsmouth. You find problems and hassles wherever you go, I just quite fancy tackling them amidst Spanish accents. I've travelled before, and lived in Sydney for just over a year, I realise gettin yourself settled is a mass of complications, but it's that or settle with the concept of growing old in the UK... and that thought makes me shiver.

AndyRich666:
Well mate, if your lass bottles on the idea and you still wanna skip off to the sunshine, then look me up... we'll go find ourselves a couple of cute latina chiquitas! Good luck with convincing her though, god knows what's keeping her on British soil.

Nashima:
Sounds like you're living the dream... or at least 'my' dream... I've not nearly got enough money to look into buying a place, so I was planning on hopefully renting to start with and just picking up whatever work I can find... I have talents... I do, I do, I do!

Jackytoo:
I don't really get what you're trying to say... on average Spain has 300+ days of sunshine a year... That's about 2months max, at my calculations. And during those couple months I'd just be smiling to myself in the knowledge that the UK still had another 6months of miserable weather to work its way through.

xx
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:45 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

You are in Pompey ...we were in Gosport, hubby is a Pompey lad... not going back there though
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Don't fault in what your doing at all and good luck to you. Even in December here it was 24 some days and even when cold it is never as bad as back home.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lionda
You are in Pompey ...we were in Gosport, hubby is a Pompey lad... not going back there though
I live for the day when I can say the same. This is the year, I can feel it in me bones!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

I guess whilst I've got a few people reading, I may as well try and sell myself a bit.

I've spent the last 4-5 years helping adults gain their basic maths qualifications... Anyone reckon that would be a worthwhile skill for the expats? or is the place loaded with students tryina blag private tuition gigs.

I've also had about 10years graphic design experience, and a few years basic webdesign stuff.

--

If anyone's done the same kinda thing as I'm hoping to.. ie move to Espana on a minimal budget and try and find your feet.... Couldya give me the lowdown on how it worked for you, what kind of work did you find, are you better off sticking with expats or going native?

xx
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:55 pm
Popping in for a chat

I live for the day when I can say the same. This is the year, I can feel it in me bones!!

You'd feel it in your bones today it's bloomin' cold with very strong winds. I am looking out my window at a field of almond trees the branches blowing wildly, a couple of trees in a nearby field have blown over and they are a very hardy tree. What's it like in Pompey today?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

I know of people always looking to house share around my area in Spain between Malaga and Marbella. I can have an ask around for you and see what people are looking for. Nice friendly area mainly full time residents of various nationalities etc and with good restaurants and local bars. In my short time here i have met an awful lot of people just by having an evening drink in the locals etc.

I have a friend moving out in May who is looking for a house share.

I have an income from the UK and also have a new business near completion here. Plenty of casual work here at the moment from bars to labouring it seems.

John
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lionda
You'd feel it in your bones today it's bloomin' cold with very strong winds. I am looking out my window at a field of almond trees the branches blowing wildly, a couple of trees in a nearby field have blown over and they are a very hardy tree. What's it like in Pompey today?
You don't wanna know... The first noise I heard this mornin was my bedroom door slamming shut, as the wind was belting through the window kickin up a storm *inside* the flat! By the time I was ready to leave for work it was already lashing it down full pelt, tho 'luckily' I made it into work before the hailstones kicked in. It's been a mixture of 'quite bad' to 'bleedin miserable' ever since. Still it's hometime in a mo', so I get to battle the great outdoors for my 20min stomp through the miserable burbs of Fratton. On my way in this mornin I got diverted by coppers off of the pavement and onto the road, as the wind overnight had whipped the temporary roofing off the latest highrise they're halfway through building.

Almond trees.... *sigh*

x
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

John:
Yes mate, please ask around... It's all a up in the air and pure ideas at the moment, but information is power, an all that... So anything you can point my way would be super-delicious!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

John:
Yes mate, please ask around... It's all a up in the air and pure ideas at the moment, but information is power, an all that... So anything you can point my way would be super-delicious!
As they say round here it's not what you know it is who you know. Getting a good network of contacts out here seems to be the power of succeeding IMO.

Though there are a hell of a lot of dreamers who speak a good game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.