Need insurance on my Spanish car ASAP

Need insurance on my Spanish car ASAP

Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:25 am
JC7
Just Joined

JC7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need insurance on my Spanish car ASAP

Hi people,

I'm in Spain having a short break at a friends apartment. I have a proper registered Spanish car in my name (with Spanish plates etc..).

The problem is Linea Direct require me to have a passport number, NIE number and Spanish bank account.

I have all of these apart from the Spanish bank account. I've just been in a few (Santander, SOL Bank, etc..) and they're saying I need a official 'workers contact' to open a Spanish bank account.

I only want insurance on my Spanish car and this is really stressing me out. Does anyone know of any options for me?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need insurance on my Spanish car ASAP

Originally Posted by JC7
Hi people,

I'm in Spain having a short break at a friends apartment. I have a proper registered Spanish car in my name (with Spanish plates etc..).

The problem is Linea Direct require me to have a passport number, NIE number and Spanish bank account.

I have all of these apart from the Spanish bank account. I've just been in a few (Santander, SOL Bank, etc..) and they're saying I need a official 'workers contact' to open a Spanish bank account.

I only want insurance on my Spanish car and this is really stressing me out. Does anyone know of any options for me?
Can't you pay with your credit card, Mastercard/Visa are universal i would have thought.
Also my hubby opened an account at Santander 5 weeks ago with passport and nie, he dosen't have a work contract.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JC7
Hi people,

anyone can open a spanish bank account whether resident in Spain or not. All you need is your passport and nie. most if not all banks will do this, i know for a fact that Solbank, Bancaja and Bankinter do. If bank staff say you need a work contract you are speaking to the wrong person/branch!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:14 pm
JC7
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shaggymon
anyone can open a spanish bank account whether resident in Spain or not. All you need is your passport and nie. most if not all banks will do this, i know for a fact that Solbank, Bancaja and Bankinter do. If bank staff say you need a work contract you are speaking to the wrong person/branch!
Hey,

Thanks for the replies.

In Santander the lady said it was a new Spanish law. The guy in Sol Bank also said this. It's annoying because the banks close so early every day (2 and sometimes 4 - as I'm sure you know).

I'll go back to Sol Bank which is open til 4 I think and try and explain that perhaps he is wrong. Bit of an awkward situation!

If anyone has any other ideas they would be really appreciated!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

this was lifted from another site and may help.

Opening an Account

Most banks permit up to four named individuals on a single personal account. To open the account the following is required:

* applicants must be aged 18 or over
* photographic proof of identity (passport or National Identity Card from the country of origin for each of the applicants)
* proof of occupation or status (employment contract/payslip, letter from accountant/lawyer, pension or disability payment confirmation, student card). This is an extra requirement introduced in 2007 by the Bank of Spain as a measure to combat money-laundering
* residents also need to produce their Foreigner's Identification Number and certificate (Número de Identificación de Extranjeros or NIE)
* confirmation of address (utility bill, driving licence or council tax bill; proof of address must have been issued within the last 3 months)

An applicant with all of these documents available when visiting a branch should have their account opened almost straight away, although it will take a few days for the cheque book and ATM/debit card (if applicable) to be issued. In this instance, a bank may provide a temporary pass book (libreta) so that money can be withdrawn, until the ATM/debit card arrives.

Some banks accept applications for new accounts submitted by post, although a visit to a branch may be needed to complete the identification process and present the originals of the personal documents.

Note: For security reasons, most banks will not send cheque books or ATM/debit cards to overseas addresses; they will need to be collected from the branch if there is no address in Spain to which they can be sent.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

I repeat my husband opened an account 5 WEEKS ago at Santander
using PASSPORT & NIE.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:48 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

With Linea Direct you need to provide NIE or Passport Number. You do not need you to pay via spanish bank account, in fact they offer a 20€ discount if you pay by credit card, see advert in euroweeklynews.

https://www.lineadirecta.com/LDAWeb/home/Home.faces or telephone 902 123 309

If you don't like Lineadirect any one of a dozen brokers will be pleased to arrange insurance.

Last edited by missile; Jul 15th 2009 at 12:51 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=missile;7754678]With Linea Direct you need to provide NIE or Passport Number. You do not need you to pay via spanish bank account, in fact they offer a 20€ discount if you pay by credit card, see advert in euroweeklynews.

Precisely what i said in my first reply !!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:53 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC7
How were you were able to register a car without having a spanish address?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:05 pm
JC7
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
With Linea Direct you need to provide NIE or Passport Number. You do not need you to pay via spanish bank account, in fact they offer a 20€ discount if you pay by credit card, see advert in euroweeklynews.

If you don't like Lineadirect any one of a dozen brokers will be pleased to arrange insurance.
Lineadirect require a Spanish bank account.

I have the passport and NIE number.

I've been on the phone to them countless times to try and find a way around this but had no success. I have friends that have Spanish bank account but I'm not sure if that makes any difference - one idea was to ask them to take out the insurance and I use the car as the 2nd driver - but it's asking a lot from them.

We went into various offices and did it all that way. We needed our NIE number.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Both Linea Direct and Xpats insurance take credit cards in payment now and a discount for doing so.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

krush is an unknown quantity at this point

Lineadirect require a Spanish bank account.

You can pay with an English credit or debit card but they need the Spanish bank account details for other reasons.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

get someone else to pay on your behalf from their Spanish bank acc

Originally Posted by JC7
Hi people,

Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:17 pm
JC7
Just Joined

I don't think it's a case of paying with the Spanish bank account. They want it for other reasons that I'm not sure of. I can pay Lineadirect with a UK credit card or debit card.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

yes thats a point, usually it has to be given to Trafico when registering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.