Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Need a builder near Jaen, how do I find one?

Need a builder near Jaen, how do I find one?

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

travelalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a builder near Jaen, how do I find one?

Hi can anyone help me please. We have just bought a holiday home 15 mins from Martos in Jaen. This area is not so popular with Brits and finding information is difficult.

We are out in Spain this weekend and we need a builder to quote for a lot of work, how do we locate one? Our estate agent is a builder and the quote for work seems very high. Not much english spoken which also is a problem as our spanish lessons are still in the early stages.

Do they have a yellow pages? Does anyone live near this area who could help us?

Appreciate any help or advice as we have a whole house to renovate and furnish.

Thank you
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:21 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a builder near Jaen, how do I find one?

Originally Posted by travelalot
We have just bought a holiday home 15 mins from Martos in Jaen. This area is not so popular with Brits and finding information is difficult.
There are lots of expats living in the area - particularly Alcala la Real and Alcaudete, you just haven't met them yet!

We are out in Spain this weekend and we need a builder to quote for a lot of work, how do we locate one? Our estate agent is a builder and the quote for work seems very high. Not much english spoken which also is a problem as our spanish lessons are still in the early stages.
The quote seems very high compared to what? I do hope you got some quotes for building work BEFORE you bought if your budget is tight!

The normal way to find a builder in Spain is to go to your local bar and ask around. Alternatively, find other expats in the area and ask for recommendations. Ask your neighbours (if you have any!).

If your job is pretty big I can give you the number of a builder who will work in that area (not used personally but have seen his work). Always try and get 2 or 3 quotes to compare.

Have you prepared a specification and/or drawings for your would-be builders to price from? If not, it will be a great deal easier if you do so in advance - that way you can compare like with like and ensure everybody is quoting for the same thing. If your estate agent/builder is from a town beginning with M (not Martos) I strongly advise against using their fleecing builders!

Bear in mind you are likely to need a licence and possibly an architect if any of your proposed work is structural. If this is the case then you may be better off employing an architect now who you can then also make responsible for obtaining building quotes.

You will be lucky to get any of this sorted in just one weekend.

Do they have a yellow pages?
Of course! Also available on line (paginas amarillas) but you will find very few builders advertising in it!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Hi can anyone help me please. We have just bought a holiday home 15 mins from Martos in Jaen. This area is not so popular with Brits and finding information is difficult.

Thank you
Hi Travelalot
Cannott recommend a builder as we have not bought yet however we are buying around Alcala la Real next year.

Good Luck

Helen
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, work is not too major.

Indoor kitchen, another bathroom (already one) upstairs all needs plastering but has new roof. All house tiling. Outside roof terrace and all garden terracing and outbuildings removed and made tidy. 3-4 weeks work? Not total renovation and if all else fails hubby will have to do most but not our idea of a holiday spending next few years working!! It is the problem of buying things when you have no idea where to go. I know we will have to come back soon but just need to start the quote and then return to finalise. Would like work complete for summer, at least in the house if not outside. Are builders really so busy?

Had quote for another house in worst state, need new roof, no plumbing in house and upstairs one big room. Same outbuildings removed and that quote was half what our estate agent quoted on the one we bought. It just did not add up unless other quote was out the other way!

Does your builder speak any english? Would like the number to see if free this Saturday. Our interpreter is trying to find someone but as yet had no luck.

Interested to hear from anyone in our area just to see how they are getting on. Any suggestions furniture ect most welcome
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:22 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, reading what you have described it is too small a job for the builder I would have suggested.
Yes, all good builders are busy at the moment as (until today) the weather has been very good for winter.
I could put you on to separate tradesmen if that helps - one for the demolition works etc (technically you need a licence for this), one for the new kitchen/bathroom and tiling (technically you need a licence for these too) and one for the plastering (maybe possibly too far for the plasterer I know). It's a bit short notice for this weekend though I think...
Have you considered getting in an architect or project manager?
There are plenty of builders merchants in the area and for furniture you have the furniture making capital of Spain just "down the road" - Lucena. Here you will also find a big electrodomesticos store.

Last edited by Hillybilly; Jan 22nd 2007 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Thanks for that, work is not too major.

Indoor kitchen, another bathroom (already one) upstairs all needs plastering but has new roof. All house tiling. Outside roof terrace and all garden terracing and outbuildings removed and made tidy. 3-4 weeks work? Not total renovation and if all else fails hubby will have to do most but not our idea of a holiday spending next few years working!! It is the problem of buying things when you have no idea where to go. I know we will have to come back soon but just need to start the quote and then return to finalise. Would like work complete for summer, at least in the house if not outside. Are builders really so busy?

Had quote for another house in worst state, need new roof, no plumbing in house and upstairs one big room. Same outbuildings removed and that quote was half what our estate agent quoted on the one we bought. It just did not add up unless other quote was out the other way!

Does your builder speak any english? Would like the number to see if free this Saturday. Our interpreter is trying to find someone but as yet had no luck.

Interested to hear from anyone in our area just to see how they are getting on. Any suggestions furniture ect most welcome
One thing I have noticed reading this forum is the slow pace of life in Spain , and the " manara " factor,.( tomorrow )..so your estimate of 3-4 weeks work will, I am afraid, probably be way out, having said that you just might get lucky, but I am sure if you search these threads on this forum you will see lots of references to this.........just thought someone should warn you , all the best for your weekend visit. .
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Hillybilly, yes would be interested in a project manager. Do you know of one?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:17 am
Structural Surveyor

Hi, have sent you a PM with a couple of numbers.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jonsol
One thing I have noticed reading this forum is the slow pace of life in Spain , and the " manara " factor,.( tomorrow )..so your estimate of 3-4 weeks work will, I am afraid, probably be way out, having said that you just might get lucky, but I am sure if you search these threads on this forum you will see lots of references to this.........just thought someone should warn you , all the best for your weekend visit. .
That would be "mañana" and it is one of the charms of Spain, the laid back attitude. It is a well-known fact and if that way of life doesn´t suit someone they perhaps they should find somewhere else to live like New York or Japan.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Mananaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Hello,

I've just joined the forum and am probably too late in reading your thread to be of any help.
My partner and I bought a house in Martos, which needed a lot of work. We bought through Greer Associates (Alcala la Real) who arranged the building work through a local company in Martos. If you contact Greer Associates by email I am sure they will advise you.

Ronnie Shephard
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

SanAmador is an unknown quantity at this point

Mananaman

Sorry to intrude on your discussion. My wife and I are in the final stages for buying a small town house in Martos. It's nice to know we are not the only Brits in the area. Our house also needs some minor work so nice to read your feed back
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:09 pm
frank

sarahgut is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
hi I had the same problem try the notario's office in Martos
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, never thought of notario office.

Is your house in Martos area?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:57 am
frank

sarahgut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi yes I have lived near martos for 11 years.
I can give you answers to most questions about where to go for things.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Mananaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarahgut
Hi yes I have lived near martos for 11 years.
I can give you answers to most questions about where to go for things.
Hi Sarah,

Could you give me an idea where to get building materials in or near Martos, I am looking for yeso and cement, and is there an outlet for wall and floor tiles?