Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Nationwide cash card...again

Nationwide cash card...again

Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nationwide cash card...again

Following on from previous thread.
I tried to use my cash card some weeks ago to withdraw cash and it wouldn't.
Phoned NW and they sent me a new card, tried today and still no joy.
Looked on their site and it now states that these cards cannot be used to withdraw money although it did not say this at the time of the previous thread.
Although they say they are phasing cash cards out from June to September it appears that they have already stopped cash withdrawls.
That's a bit sneaky.
Any one else had same problem?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:52 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nationwide cash card...again

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Following on from previous thread.
I tried to use my cash card some weeks ago to withdraw cash and it wouldn't.
Phoned NW and they sent me a new card, tried today and still no joy.
Looked on their site and it now states that these cards cannot be used to withdraw money although it did not say this at the time of the previous thread.
Although they say they are phasing cash cards out from June to September it appears that they have already stopped cash withdrawls.
That's a bit sneaky.
A cash card that you cant use to withdraw cash??

Jo xxx
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:38 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a debit card (not a cash card) it can be used to withdraw cash.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:54 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

So what purpose is the cash card
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

That's a bit sneaky.
Mine was ok yesterday. Have you spoken to NW again? They're not supposed to be stopping the cash card until the new cash builder arrives.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaggymon
Mine was ok yesterday. Have you spoken to NW again? They're not supposed to be stopping the cash card until the new cash builder arrives.
Going to phone tomorrow. Can't believe it is 2 faulty cards or wonky ATM.
Strangely it appears that you can still apply for a CC as the CC+ has not been introduced yet BUT on the website it says you cannot use it to withdraw cash abroad.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Going to phone tomorrow. Can't believe it is 2 faulty cards or wonky ATM.
Strangely it appears that you can still apply for a CC as the CC+ has not been introduced yet BUT on the website it says you cannot use it to withdraw cash abroad.
Not much help for you for now but at least I can rule out NW changing things too soon - used my card successfully about 15 mins ago. Good luck.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shaggymon
Not much help for you for now but at least I can rule out NW changing things too soon - used my card successfully about 15 mins ago. Good luck.
Well it turns out to be the ATM or is it the Bank.
The ATM I usually use is the Bank of Andalucia, it may be that they have withdrawn the service as I tried it in a Caja de Granada ATM and no prob.
When I spoke to NW they said it would not be a prob to upgrade my CC to a Visa/debit, so I filled in online application and it was turned down.
They say that this may be due to a computer error in processing but I have to wait for a letter from them to explain as they can't tell you from their on screen data.
Well sorry for false alarm, next time I pass Bank of Andalucia I will ask if they have indeed stopped cirrus service.
Off shopping now
Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

NW are withdrawing the facility to use their Cash Card outside the UK. For those with the Flex account Debit Card nothing is changing.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:50 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
NW are withdrawing the facility to use their Cash Card outside the UK. For those with the Flex account Debit Card nothing is changing.
Apart from the fact it can not be used as a cheque guarantee card.

They no longer provide the ability to guarantee cheques so, I guess, cheques will be phased out soon.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:28 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I guess, cheques will be phased out soon.

Yes, I have heard that could happen soon in the UK but in Spain, does anyone still use cheques?

I think the last time I used one was about 7 years ago and that was a Portador cheque to pay my builder.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:11 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I have used a UK cheque in the last decade is to send money through the post, I've perhaps done it twice in the nearly six years that we've been here.

Only used a Spanish cheque twice, once to pay for the house and once when my card refused to work for some unknown reason.

My son would not even know how to write a cheque.

Last edited by scampicat; Apr 17th 2010 at 6:17 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We use UK cheques to pay our rent, the guy pays them into Gib bank.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of

I just hope Nationwide does not become a new Northern Rock when all the disgruntled ex-pats start removing their money and placing it elsewhere.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:24 pm
Bleating on & on

Barbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, but the Nation Wide has money... check their assets.
Northen Rock.... well they didn't did they

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.