Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My wife has been put off moving to Costa Blanca due to burglary

My wife has been put off moving to Costa Blanca due to burglary

Old Nov 20th 2015, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My wife has been put off moving to Costa Blanca due to burglary

Originally Posted by seasideman
i have seen a few sites offering property in my price range but when you contact them you receive no responce. Any suggestions of what would fit out budget. I am looking for a 11 month rental which will then carry on
You can only do what you are doing and keep trying, there are a few groups on Facebook for Albir and Alfaz which often have rentals , you could also maybe look at La carla finestrat (not finestrat) which is the other side of Benidorm ,
Old Nov 20th 2015, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

seasideman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
You can only do what you are doing and keep trying, there are a few groups on Facebook for Albir and Alfaz which often have rentals , you could also maybe look at La carla finestrat (not finestrat) which is the other side of Benidorm ,
hi, can you show me these forums please. Have tried to find such forums but never come across them. Will also look at la carla as well

Would love to know from people in costa blanca where they live and how hard they found it to find somewhere to live
Old Nov 20th 2015, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to login to facebook, then just search Albir of Alfaz ect and there are quite a few groups, they are not forums just Facebook posts
Old Nov 20th 2015, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

You will need to login to facebook, then just search Albir of Alfaz ect and there are quite a few groups, they are not forums just Facebook posts

thank you. will try searching again
Old Nov 20th 2015, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure what is wrong with my facebook, but the only group i found was a buy and sell group for alfaz
Old Nov 21st 2015, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with your facebook. Its the buying selling sites you need. They don't just buy and sell but offer local info. You post a question on them and invariably you will get replies to your question. Its how people communicate in the groups.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 8:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

have you moved back to the UK
Sure have, unscathed and unburgled

We have been burgled 4 times. All in the UK, and all in the 80's & 90's. Good security now, and that DOES make a difference.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 9:41 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

I think your wife might just be suffering from fear of the unknown
This ^^^^ although understandably so.

550 euros, 4 mins walk to the beach will almost certainly mean an apartment. Choose one with extensive locks on front door and/or security grill. Most apartment blocks also have a locked main entrance,with controlled access by residents.

As others have said, most burglaries occur in remote locations or out of town urbanisations.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

SimonJ22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding the gas, no-one even knows what gas could do this, scientists say to use a gas to knock a family out and not kill them would take tiny adjustments and is way beyond what a burglar would worry about. They would just kill people not knock them out As such all tested gassing claims have proven false.

Also I worried about all sorts of news claims, you can get worked up about what could happen, in reality I feel safer in Spain than I did in the UK.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 11:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonJ22
Regarding the gas, no-one even knows what gas could do this, scientists say to use a gas to knock a family out and not kill them would take tiny adjustments and is way beyond what a burglar would worry about. They would just kill people not knock them out As such all tested gassing claims have proven false.

Also I worried about all sorts of news claims, you can get worked up about what could happen, in reality I feel safer in Spain than I did in the UK.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 21st 2015, 12:53 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonJ22

Hi. We've discussed gas robberies a few times before here. Worth having a quick look back if you're interested.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 2:56 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

My wife wanted to move to Costa Blanca but now she is having second thoughts have reading some articles The articles she has read are from a site on Spain, and the articles say that Costa Blanca have a serious burglary problem. According to the stories that people have told on the site, it is common practice. One person says that homes are gassed to send you to sleep while they rob you, another one says they kill the dog to get into your home, and another one there have been cases of people being tied up. Another person said she knows someone who has been burgled three times while someone else has said she does not know anyone who has not been burgled. This has now put the brakes on our move because my wife is worried. We live in an area in the UK where crime is low and burglary is very low. If we were burgled in Spain it would put my wife in hospital, especially if we were victims of this gassing lots of people are talking about. The areas we were thinking of moving to were albera, benidorm, alfaz I would like to hear people's honest opinons on this
Perception is important. Who would want to live in fear whether genuine or not. If that is how she feels then .......... best not to come.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

A racing driver claimed he was gassed in france and jewellery stolen worth tens of thousands
The Royal College of Anaesthetists also said that such a thing would be almost impossible to do, I think maybe Pica was nearer the mark

Originally Posted by Pica
We get them in Italy also- it's acover up for peeps who go to bed leathered lol!
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 11:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The Royal College of Anaesthetists also said that such a thing would be almost impossible to do, I think maybe Pica was nearer the mark
Were they really gassed
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:50 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I did a little search myself Mitz and the one and only credible report was in S.America.
All the rest as far as I could tell was media mania with virtually zilch hard evidence.

Having said that there have been the odd one or two particularly horrific type burglaries against expats in Spain, but fortunately they appear to be very few and far in between.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.