British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   My thoughts on moving back to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/my-thoughts-moving-back-uk-711013/)

GCM Mar 28th 2011 8:33 am

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

I spend a lot of time in both countries and naturally both have their pros and cons.

I personally find the UK exciting and vibrant with lots going on. Many people here in Spain that I know are thinking about going back because they are bored.

The town we live in is small and you see the same people, have the same conversations repeatedly but it is wonderful living here but good to escape quite often too.

HBG Mar 28th 2011 8:42 am

The post war period produced several large scale movements of people, like the Jamaicans to England and the Turks to Germany. Contrary to what the native population expected – a temporary influx of workers to fill jobs they couldn’t – the incomers stayed and grew in numbers.

You can’t really compare that to the movement of people from the UK to Spain, the numbers are much smaller, but it hasn’t just been pensioners making the move, younger workers have come too. And younger people following their pensioner parents.

The Jamaicans and Turks prospered in their new countries and I can’t think of any recessions back then, but the British in Spain have just been caught by one and it has driven a lot of them back.

I’m helping someone to pack at the moment, their three businesses having failed. They’re going back with a lot less money than they arrived with, six years ago.

JLFS Mar 28th 2011 10:55 am

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9268946)
The post war period produced several large scale movements of people, like the Jamaicans to England and the Turks to Germany. Contrary to what the native population expected – a temporary influx of workers to fill jobs they couldn’t – the incomers stayed and grew in numbers.You can’t really compare that to the movement of people from the UK to Spain, the numbers are much smaller, but it hasn’t just been pensioners making the move, younger workers have come too. And younger people following their pensioner parents.

The Jamaicans and Turks prospered in their new countries and I can’t think of any recessions back then, but the British in Spain have just been caught by one and it has driven a lot of them back.

I’m helping someone to pack at the moment, their three businesses having failed. They’re going back with a lot less money than they arrived with, six years ago.

The reason why most prospered is because they moved to a richer country ie the UK.

They went to work for much higher wages than at home in their own country, so even if things did not work out or they did not want to stay for whatever reason, then usually went home with savings to set themselves up.

The "immigrants" to Spain from the UK are a different kettle of fish, they are investing in a country where it is harder to earn the same money and effectively subsidising their stay with savings or equity- hence when they choose or have to leave, they go back poorer.

It could be summed up that there are 2 types, thoses that emigrate to improved prospects, poor country to rich.

And those that go for "a change" of life knowing that they will probably be worse off, ie security to insecurity, that is generally speaking of course.

Years ago immigration was usually about financial improvement.

reggiedh Mar 28th 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Mataroni (Post 9268105)
I'm still living here in Spain and to be honest everytime I come back from Britain I think 'Thank god I don't live there any more!', but on the other hand there are always things I'll miss.

I think that once you've lived in another country for a few years you become 'countryless'. You don't really belong anywhere, you'll always be considered a foreigner in Spain and never be at home in Britain.

Excellent post.

zygiman Mar 28th 2011 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Mataroni (Post 9268105)
I'm still living here in Spain and to be honest everytime I come back from Britain I think 'Thank god I don't live there any more!', but on the other hand there are always things I'll miss.

I think that once you've lived in another country for a few years you become 'countryless'. You don't really belong anywhere, you'll always be considered a foreigner in Spain and never be at home in Britain.

Very true, but unfortunately, i left the UK 20 years ago, miss some things, but would never want to live there again. I also feel i have no real home anymore. The UK authorities still have other ideas though!

Chiclanagir Mar 28th 2011 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by reggiedh (Post 9269159)
Excellent post.

My home will also be Britain. I am happy living in Spain but will always consider home to be where the heart is that is the UK.

Rosemary Mar 28th 2011 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9269233)
My home will also be Britain. I am happy living in Spain but will always consider home to be where the heart is that is the UK.

Reminds me of when my neighbours asked if we were at home for Christmas and I replied yes. They responded with when were we travelling, when I frowned they changed what they had asked in order to clarify that they were actually asking if we were going back to UK for the festivities. Their reaction to the fact that I call where we live "home" was great to see.

Rosemary

HBG Mar 28th 2011 2:11 pm

I know two Swedish families living nearby. For at least 20 years now, they’ve spent eight months of every year in Spain and four months back ‘home’ in Sweden.

(I don’t know Sweden’s status with the 183 day rule that we Brits often fret about, but they’re always got nice Volvos on Swedish plates.)

bil Mar 28th 2011 3:24 pm

Home is where the heart is.

I for one have no desire to go back to the UK under any circumstance.

anonimouse Mar 28th 2011 8:34 pm

bil;9269641]Home is where the heart is.

I for one have no desire to go back to the UK under any circumstance

Hear, here:thumbsup:

zygiman Mar 28th 2011 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9270308)
Hear, here:thumbsup:

have to go to the UK to visit the parents and business, but that's it!

bil Mar 28th 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by zygiman (Post 9270318)
have to go to the UK to visit the parents and business, but that's it!

With me, it's visit the kids, but I'd far rather they came here. I hate travel at the best of times.

betris Mar 28th 2011 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9269641)

mmm mmm they arnt waiting with the cuffs are they:rofl:

megmet Mar 29th 2011 1:05 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9269641)

That's just the way I feel.
I've only been back once for nine days in the last three years.....that was nine days too many and I couldn't wait to get back home to Spain!

Mitzyboy Mar 29th 2011 8:12 am

Spain is different to the UK in many ways. Going back for short bursts when you have lived here for a considerable time will not really give you a balanced view of the country. Of course we can all sit and watch TV reports and believe it all, but dont forget in the UK they are reading newspaper reports about how crap it is in Spain :D

Ive been back twice this year (inc Christmas) and have had time to enjoy the positive aspects. I respect people opinions, but I still find it very had to understand how people can write off a whole county.

I just dont understand the "Britain is crap" point of view ..... because overall it's no crappier than any other country when it comes down to having to live there. Every country has its own challenges and issues :)