Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My thoughts on moving back to the UK

My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:19 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
CCTV cameras don´t bother me either. In fact if I was in a city they would make me feel a bit safer.
providing you have instant responce.other wise you feel safe but your not.the crook just needs a ballie
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

benidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Nice post and I agree that it feels like the UK wants all your very hard earned cash, for as little as possible in return.

I wonder, Do you feel as safe out and about late at night as you did in Spain?
Well I lived in a holiday resort so I could say I always felt quite safe, however there are areas (or streets) not to go down at night as they were known for mugging. Ive always been careful where I go in the evening spain and the uk and always stick to areas where there are a few people around.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:49 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
No just with British expats though, I probable know more Spanish that have returned to the UK after moving "permanently back to Spain, than have stayed there. At the moment we have no intention of leaving Spain, but who knows.
Spanish people, like Scottish and Irish people, and many others in the world, have had to leave their home countries to seek work abroad when their own countries failed them. It’s perfectly natural that they would wish to return to their roots when the opportunity arose, even after they had been abroad for a long time.

I don’t have any statistics but have read that Irish people are on the move again, for the same financial reasons as before, and that it’s happening in Spain too. It stands to reason, you have a young family to support and can’t do it in your own country, so you get on your bike.

I know. I’ve done it. Not on a bike, it was a Ford Cortina.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:17 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Spanish people, like Scottish and Irish people, and many others in the world, have had to leave their home countries to seek work abroad when their own countries failed them. It’s perfectly natural that they would wish to return to their roots when the opportunity arose, even after they had been abroad for a long time.I don’t have any statistics but have read that Irish people are on the move again, for the same financial reasons as before, and that it’s happening in Spain too. It stands to reason, you have a young family to support and can’t do it in your own country, so you get on your bike.

I know. I’ve done it. Not on a bike, it was a Ford Cortina.
I dont think that you understood my post, I was saying that more than half of the Spanish folks that I know who moved back to Spain, have since returned to the Uk for various reasons, lack of jobs I suppose.
They did intend to stay permanantly, but it was not to be.

If it is difficult for them making the move with the advantages they already have, with reference to language, then for others of working age it must be much harder to get established.

I know it is natural to want to get back to your roots, but sometimes even for the Spanish, going back to Spain has not worked out for them, or maybe not what they expected it to be like.

After being away so long maybe it was not as it was when they left.

The ones that did tend to stay were of pension age and quite often then chose a sunnier part of Spain than the were from, to take advantage of the better weather, just like the british do.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:43 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont think that you understood my post, I was saying that more than half of the Spanish folks that I know who moved back to Spain, have since returned to the Uk for various reasons, lack of jobs I suppose.
They did intend to stay permanantly, but it was not to be.

If it is difficult for them making the move with the advantages they already have, with reference to language, then for others of working age it must be much harder to get established.

I know it is natural to want to get back to your roots, but sometimes even for the Spanish, going back to Spain has not worked out for them, or maybe not what they expected it to be like.

After being away so long maybe it was not as it was when they left.

The ones that did tend to stay were of pension age and quite often then chose a sunnier part of Spain than the were from, to take advantage of the better weather, just like the british do.
I don’t think I misunderstood, but it doesn’t matter. I moved to provide a better life for all of us, and returned to my roots when I had dug up all those foreign streets lined with gold.

To my surprise and despair, I found that the place hadn’t been waiting for me for all those years, it was a different place – I wandered around familiar streets peopled by strangers.

So I gave up and moved to yet another place, and another one, until I found one that was warmer than the others and stayed. The realisation that there was no place to return to haunted me for a long time, I had been away too long. So if I return, it will be to place number three, one and two have gone, and I’m in place five. Four is too hard.

I can only explain it further by describing home as a place where you hang your hat.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:46 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I don’t think I misunderstood, but it doesn’t matter. I moved to provide a better life for all of us, and returned to my roots when I had dug up all those foreign streets lined with gold.

To my surprise and despair, I found that the place hadn’t been waiting for me for all those years, it was a different place – I wandered around familiar streets peopled by strangers.

So I gave up and moved to yet another place, and another one, until I found one that was warmer than the others and stayed. The realisation that there was no place to return to haunted me for a long time, I had been away too long. So if I return, it will be to place number three, one and two have gone, and I’m in place five. Four is too hard.

I can only explain it further by describing home as a place where you hang your hat.

You are bright enough to realise that you can't cross the same river twice.

All to many go back to the UK with the old rose tinteds superglued in place, and I fear that for some of them the place will have changed beyond recognition.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Mataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really nice

I'm still living here in Spain and to be honest everytime I come back from Britain I think 'Thank god I don't live there any more!', but on the other hand there are always things I'll miss.

I think that once you've lived in another country for a few years you become 'countryless'. You don't really belong anywhere, you'll always be considered a foreigner in Spain and never be at home in Britain.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of being content in any country comes down to greebacks, if your broke in Spain or the UK life will be miserable ,many expat pensioners came to Spain for the cheaper living costs as well as the sunshine ,where can you buy a country cottage in the UK with land etc for under 150K ?but things have changed a lot in the last 3 years ,living costs in Spain are getting close to those in the UK and those who rely on UK state pensions are obviously finding life a lot tougher if not impossible.

Pensioners may believe that life in Spain is more liberal and unhindered by the authorities but those in business and autonomos know very different ,you cant breath without a permit.!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:44 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mataroni
I'm still living here in Spain and to be honest everytime I come back from Britain I think 'Thank god I don't live there any more!', but on the other hand there are always things I'll miss.

I think that once you've lived in another country for a few years you become 'countryless'. You don't really belong anywhere, you'll always be considered a foreigner in Spain and never be at home in Britain.
Yeah, I think the same. When have to go back it's with enormous unease, and I can't frigging WAIT to come home.

I look on myself as a citizen of Europe. I happened to be born in the UK, but have chosen to live in Spain.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah, I think the same. When have to go back it's with enormous unease, and I can't frigging WAIT to come home.

I look on myself as a citizen of Europe. I happened to be born in the UK, but have chosen to live in Spain.
Well, I know I'm different to most here.

I moved to Spain for a specific reason. I enjoy living here, but I have no unease about going back to the UK, in fact I tremendously enjoy it. I'm aware of the issues there, and I'm equally aware of the issues here

Home is England for me. I'm a visitor here, and thats the way it will always be
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:06 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well, I know I'm different to most here.

I moved to Spain for a specific reason. I enjoy living here, but I have no unease about going back to the UK, in fact I tremendously enjoy it. I'm aware of the issues there, and I'm equally aware of the issues here
Home is England for me. I'm a visitor here, and thats the way it will always be
It may sound strange but I feel the same way, I dont know where I will end up "dying".

we have been here for quite a while now, a few years, and I still wake up and think, I am living here for the time being.

I am not unhappy or saying i dont like it, but that is the feeling that comes ovr me.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:33 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
When comparing what you get, I suppose it's the difference between what you pay here, and what you would pay in the UK.
Let's not forget that over 40% of Spain's transport infrastructure over the past 10+ years has been paid for by the EU - that's why it's expensive in the UK for the quality of the roads, UK taxpayers are also paying for a chunk of Spain's roads at the same time
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mataroni

How true, we don't belong anywhere after we have lived in another country for a number of years, no matter how hard we may try....
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rotor
I think a lot of being content in any country comes down to greebacks, if your broke in Spain or the UK life will be miserable ,many expat pensioners came to Spain for the cheaper living costs as well as the sunshine ,where can you buy a country cottage in the UK with land etc for under 150K ?but things have changed a lot in the last 3 years ,living costs in Spain are getting close to those in the UK and those who rely on UK state pensions are obviously finding life a lot tougher if not impossible.

Pensioners may believe that life in Spain is more liberal and unhindered by the authorities but those in business and autonomos know very different ,you cant breath without a permit.!
That is so very true, with VAT on every cent of turnover, that is doubly difficult for the smallest business.

In this time of dificulties the jobsworth stick to their ridged rules, ie if the SS payment is late, I think that there is a surcharge penalty of about 20 percent, so the problems and the debts snowball.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Let's not forget that over 40% of Spain's transport infrastructure over the past 10+ years has been paid for by the EU - that's why it's expensive in the UK for the quality of the roads, UK taxpayers are also paying for a chunk of Spain's roads at the same time
When they have been a net contributor for as long as the UK has, instead of being the largest net recipient a few years ago, that might all change. It has finally been done now, but we used to drive the road from Frigiliana to Torrox, and I've never seen any UK road that bad.

Este reasfaltado era muy esperado desde hace meses por los vecinos que usaban esta carretera, pues a medida que la misma se alejaba de Frigiliana su cubierta empeoraba, estando en un estado desastroso una vez que se pasaba de La Venta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.