British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   My thoughts on moving back to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/my-thoughts-moving-back-uk-711013/)

bil Mar 29th 2011 12:18 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9271530)
Doesnt quite add up.......village life is crap yet half a dozen people rallied around to help out in a time of need?

As for people campaigning to stop an individual selling their own property....impossible.

Out of all the people we thought we knew well, 6 wasn't much, and actually included two we didn't really know that well.

As for the rest, well when you have sold off your land, or have benefited from that process, if you then speak against it it just makes you a hypocrite.

Plus when the hypocrites are telling lies to the planners, that gets really, really annoying.

bil Mar 29th 2011 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9271479)
Well there you go then ..... the whole of village life written off :rofl:

I lived in a large village until I was about 18. It was nice in that you knew many people and even at that age popping down the pub was great, because it was a nice atmosphere

Then I spent the next 30 years in and around Birmingham, moving back to the countryside for the last few years or so that we were in the UK. I never came across what you mention, but experience tells me that because everyone knows you ... what you do gets around. So if you are extremely rude to one person, everyone knows and treats you differently

Village life is like a big internet forum. What you say or do can bee seen by everyone, as opposed to city life where you just get lost in the size of it and maybe dont even know your next door neighbour that well

In a village, to coin a phrase, you reap what you sew :D

Mitz, not all villages are heaven on earth, and not all villagers are decent, caring folk.

When people talk of idyllic village life, it's often because they don't look carefully at what goes on behind the lace curtains.

Mitzyboy Mar 29th 2011 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9271621)
Mitz, not all villages are heaven on earth, and not all villagers are decent, caring folk.

When people talk of idyllic village life, it's often because they don't look carefully at what goes on behind the lace curtains.

And not all village life is crap either :lol: Not all city people are decent caring folk. Not all your neighbours where you are will be decent caring folk. :)

I'm sorry you had a hard time, but aren't you just generalising far too much .... I actually did know what was going on behind the lace curtains in our village because for a few years I ran and owned a furniture cleaning franchise. Strangely enough I got a lot of business in my village, was in a lot of houses, and got to know quite a few people.

What I am saying is that if you cause trouble, which is clearly what the people thought it was (even if it wasn't) in your village, then that's what you get back

Strangely enough though, there was a little village near us called Fenny Compton. The majority of people who lived there were not from Fenny Compton and it seems weren't interested in village life so hardly mixed with each other. They were commuters as it was relatively close to the M40

JLFS Mar 29th 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9271757)
And not all village life is crap either :lol: Not all city people are decent caring folk. Not all your neighbours where you are will be decent caring folk. :)

I'm sorry you had a hard time, but aren't you just generalising far too much .... I actually did know what was going on behind the lace curtains in our village because for a few years I ran and owned a furniture cleaning franchise. Strangely enough I got a lot of business in my village, was in a lot of houses, and got to know quite a few people.

What I am saying is that if you cause trouble, which is clearly what the people thought it was (even if it wasn't) in your village, then that's what you get back

Strangely enough though, there was a little village near us called Fenny Compton. The majority of people who lived there were not from Fenny Compton and it seems weren't interested in village life so hardly mixed with each other. They were commuters as it was relatively close to the M40

I am beginning to see a pattern emerge.

People often complain about curtain twitchers in the UK in the smaller villages or towns, and lack of acceptance from the locals.

Spanish people often complain about the same thing in Spain, and the cool reception they get when they move to a new area in the "aldea".
They

The ones from say, Madird or other Spanish cities, spend their lives without ever being really accepted in the village, and yet you hear stories of British that go live in these small communites, and the welcome mat is there, the fatted calf brought out (proverb) and they are welcomed with open arms, all this despite a lot of them hardly being able to string a sentance together in Spanish.

It is quite a mystery:confused::confused:

Rosemary Mar 29th 2011 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9272007)

Life is full of them so they say.

Graham

whitelinen Mar 29th 2011 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9272007)
People often complain about curtain twitchers in the UK in the smaller villages or towns, and lack of acceptance from the locals.

IMO its mostly the fault of the ¨incomer¨ especially in the UK.

Some will be brash and pushy and demand recognition and attention from the natives, others will be so far up themselves as to be ridiculous, some will be scruffs and undesirables, some will be Guardian readers.

Can a stray animal force his way into a new pack? humans are no different.
Except that humans can smile, behave with decorum and most importantly be polite and welcoming themselves ......... these are the ones that ease into their new society.
However, many cant and they are the ones that will not/cannot integrate.

JLFS Mar 29th 2011 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9272027)
IMO its mostly the fault of the ¨incomer¨.

Some will be brash and pushy and demand recognition and attention from the natives, others will be so far up themselves as to be ridiculous, some will be scruffs and undesirables, some will be Guardian readers.

Except that humans can smile, behave with decorum and most importantly be polite and welcoming themselves ......... these are the ones that ease into their new society.

I am talking about Spanish people moving to other Spanish areas, (no Guardian readers at all) not being accepted smaller Spanish villages.

Just like some say it is in the UK, but the British often talk about acceptance they receive as "all enveloping, and clasped to the bosom type of welcome, in those very same villages.

bil Mar 29th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9272027)
IMO its mostly the fault of the ¨incomer¨.

My grand mother was born in that village. My mother was born in that village. In all I lived in that village from when I was 9 to when I was about 50.

So, I was no incomer. By comparison, they were. My crime was in having a large house in a much larger than average plot of land, running a chimney sweeping business, and not giving a damn.

Plus I was a guardian reader. I have to say you do come across as the kind of person that would see that as the ultimate crime.

bil Mar 29th 2011 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9272065)
I am talking about Spanish people moving to other Spanish areas, (no Guardian readers at all) not being accepted smaller Spanish villages.

Just like some say it is in the UK, but the British often talk about acceptance they receive as "all enveloping, and clasped to the bosom type of welcome, in those very same villages.

I wouldn't say that our welcome here is 'all enveloping. ' I know I'm always going to be a foreigner, no matter how long I live here. However, the people smile more, they are more chatty, and our welcome here has been far kinder than when we moved to Royston in the UK for 3 years.

cricketman Mar 29th 2011 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9272065)

I think when foreigners move abroad to a village then they are just happy not to be ran out of town with a pitchfork.

While Londoners or Madrilenos going to the sticks in their own country probably expect to be greeted with open arms and for the locals to thank them for finally bringing some civility to their village :)

Different expectations

Sally Redux Mar 29th 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9272076)
I wouldn't say that our welcome here is 'all enveloping. ' I know I'm always going to be a foreigner, no matter how long I live here. However, the people smile more, they are more chatty, and our welcome here has been far kinder than when we moved to Royston in the UK for 3 years.

http://www.thejim.iofm.net/jpgs/neverleave.jpg

steviedeluxe Mar 29th 2011 4:36 pm

We've all heard the stories of how English interlopers are deemed unwelcome in certain Scottish and Welsh villages (where they are sometimes burnt out). I remember working in Glasgow once, and being advised by a Scot not to think of buying a place in a village. He told me "don't worry, it won't be because of your English background, they just don't like outsiders. I'd get the cold-shoulder treatment too because I come from Glasgow!"
Having said all that I'm sure you get good and bad villages. I suppose that the problem is you're stuck with the nasty population if you choose the wrong village. If you have unfriendly neighbours in a city, you can always choose more amenable friends or people in the next street/neighbourhood to associate with.

Cape Blue Mar 29th 2011 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9272086)

I now have Bill in my head as the shopkeeper :lol:

agoreira Mar 29th 2011 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9271757)

I'm sorry you had a hard time, but aren't you just generalising far too much ....

Yes, but that's the way Bil is!:) There are no honest MP's, all priest/clerics are paedo's, everything in UK is carp, in Spain, perfecto, all Spanish are friendly, nobody speaks to anyone in UK. I think when the whole village is against you, it begs the question "Can they all be wrong?" Bit like my marching in the Forces, I was the only one in step!;)

Sally Redux Mar 29th 2011 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 9272139)
I now have Bill in my head as the shopkeeper :lol:

Sorry bil, love that series though :lol:

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9272182)
, everything in UK is carp,

Sounds a bit fishy.

EsuriJohn Mar 29th 2011 5:01 pm

:) There are no honest MP's, all priest/clerics are paedo's, everything in UK is carp, in Spain, perfecto, all Spanish are friendly, nobody speaks to anyone in UK. I think when the whole village is against you Bit like my marching in the Forces, I was the only one in step!;)

But it is true isn't it? Did you swing both arms forward at the same time?

agoreira Mar 29th 2011 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9272203)
But it is true isn't it? Did you swing both arms forward at the same time?

Noooo! I was going, left, right, left, they were going right,left,right! :rofl: They were all hopelessly out of step, I was the only one that got it right, but they wouldn't listen! ;)

jdr Mar 29th 2011 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9272214)
Noooo! I was going, left, right, left, they were going right,left,right! :rofl: They were all hopelessly out of step, I was the only one that got it right, but they wouldn't listen! ;)

Sounds like you are still doing it now. :rofl:

Rosemary Mar 29th 2011 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9272214)

Don´t you just hate it when the world is out of step with the only person who is right. ;):D:D

Rosemary

bil Mar 29th 2011 5:43 pm

Yes, but that's the way Bil is!:) There are no honest MP's, all priest/clerics are paedo's, everything in UK is carp, in Spain, perfecto, all Spanish are friendly, nobody speaks to anyone in UK. I think when the whole village is against you, it begs the question "Can they all be wrong?" Bit like my marching in the Forces, I was the only one in step!;)

Oh I think that's unfair. There may well be an honest politician. When we find him or her I plan to make a fortune exhibiting them round Europe in a glass case.

Priests, well I have come to the conclusion that as the pope says it is fine, and since he can't be wrong then we shouldn't criticise it but accept that their profession has to have some perks.

Carp are actually a nice fish, surprisingly intelligent and social.

As to being the only one in step. Sometimes that really is the case.

bil Mar 29th 2011 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9272192)
Sorry bil, love that series though :lol:

So did I. Very, very clever. A tad wierd tho...... bit like where I was, come to think of it.

Mataroni Mar 29th 2011 6:47 pm

[QUOTE=whitelinen;9271530]

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9271388)
I spent most of my life in a fairly leafy village, and you can have it. The small minded petit bourgeois, the backstabbing neighbours... boy, when you have a problem there, you soon know who your friends are. When my mother had her stroke, and we were busting our balls trying to keep our heads above water, there were half a dozen people who really did something to help us. When we wanted to sell the land behind our house, we had a sustained campaign to stop us by the neighbours we thought we got on with. The 'funny' part was that it was lead by one who had sold off half of their garden not long before, and the members were all people whose houses were built on slices of other people's gardens. /QUOTE]

Doesnt quite add up.......village life is crap yet half a dozen people rallied around to help out in a time of need?

As for people campaigning to stop an individual selling their own property....impossible.

I think it all depends on the individual. What sort of person you are.

I've lived in both cites and villages in Both England and Scotland before moving out to Catalunya. I've never had and problems with getting along with any of the locals. but perhaps that's because I'm an easygoing person who akes things with a pince of salt. Some ribbing about the accent/pronunciation is to be expected, but haven't we all ribbed someone else about their accent at one time?

It's the same with us when we take a trip to Andalucia, people down there take the mickey of our Catalan accents. (the advantage of this being we can talk about them in Catalan ;) )

It's true though about where you live. Also the people who live there. The people who THINK they have money are generally more snobbish.

Good thead by the way!:)

Lynn R Mar 29th 2011 6:48 pm

When I got married I moved to a village about 40 miles away from where I was brought up, but still within Lancashire. I couldn't believe it when strangers would turn around in the pub and say "You don't come from round here, do you, you talk funny"!

They were friendly enough, though, but wouldn't have taken kindly to anyone moving in to the village and trying to throw their weight around or criticising how things were done. You often read of things like people buying second homes in the country in England and then starting to complain to the local Council about agricultural vehicles being driven down the lanes, smells from farmyards, and so on. No wonder they don't go down too well with the locals.

I think there is a lot in what JLFS says about people retiring to Spain, we have much more time to engage with our neighbours and don't mind stopping for a chat 10 times on the way to the shops in the morning. In the UK, certainly in the winter, I used to go to work in the dark before my neighbours were up and about, and get home after dark when they were all inside watching TV. I rarely saw them, much less got to speak to them.

Mataroni Mar 29th 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9272469)
When I got married I moved to a village about 40 miles away from where I was brought up, but still within Lancashire. I couldn't believe it when strangers would turn around in the pub and say "You don't come from round here, do you, you talk funny"!

They were friendly enough, though, but wouldn't have taken kindly to anyone moving in to the village and trying to throw their weight around or criticising how things were done. You often read of things like people buying second homes in the country in England and then starting to complain to the local Council about agricultural vehicles being driven down the lanes, smells from farmyards, and so on. No wonder they don't go down too well with the locals.

I think there is a lot in what JLFS says about people retiring to Spain, we have much more time to engage with our neighbours and don't mind stopping for a chat 10 times on the way to the shops in the morning. In the UK, certainly in the winter, I used to go to work in the dark before my neighbours were up and about, and get home after dark when they were all inside watching TV. I rarely saw them, much less got to speak to them.

Not just the retired people though. My partner and I both work but still go out at the weekend for walk and it's amazing how packed the sea front is with people strolling along, even on a bad day. And in summer in the evenings it's always nice to go to a 'chiringuito' and just chat to people. And not only to people we know. I must point out that we do have a young child which is always a great conversation starter, especially when people here you talking in English, even if it is to ask if you give English classes!:D

Rosemary Mar 29th 2011 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mataroni (Post 9272492)
Not just the retired people though. My partner and I both work but still go out at the weekend for walk and it's amazing how packed the sea front is with people strolling along, even on a bad day. And in summer in the evenings it's always nice to go to a 'chiringuito' and just chat to people. And not only to people we know. I must point out that we do have a young child which is always a great conversation starter, especially when people here you talking in English, even if it is to ask if you give English classes!:D

Something I always found strange was the fact that we had a sea front about 4 miles from our house in the UK and would walk on it regularly but no-one ever acknowledged each other. In the opposite direction and about the same distance there was a trail using an old railway line and everyone spoke to each other.

Rosemary

agoreira Mar 30th 2011 9:39 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9271258)
:thumbup::thumbup:
That is all very true, I reckon if you have nothing good to say about the UK, then you have notheing to say, period.

You'll appreciate this JLFS, it's a thread about a Spanish guy ashamed of fellow Spanish going to UK, Edinburgh in this case, just for the benefits despite never having worked there.:confused:
http://www.spaniards.es/foros/2009/1...oles-edimburgo

steviedeluxe Mar 30th 2011 9:53 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9273789)
You'll appreciate this JLFS, it's a thread about a Spanish guy ashamed of fellow Spanish going to UK, Edinburgh in this case, just for the benefits despite never having worked there.:confused:
http://www.spaniards.es/foros/2009/1...oles-edimburgo

Surprisingly enough (not) it's claimed that Brits do the same in Spain. I wonder if those of us who try to earn a living have been prime mugs?

Hola,
vivo actualmente en un pueblo de Murcia y conozco varios casos de britanicos que han venido a vivir aqui hace ya anhos y que nunca han trabajado en Espanha, y estan recibiendo un subsidio mensual de 400 euros por ser mayores de 45 anhos y tener hijos menores de 16 anhos y estar desempleados.

JLFS Mar 30th 2011 10:28 am

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9273818)
Surprisingly enough (not) it's claimed that Brits do the same in Spain. I wonder if those of us who try to earn a living have been prime mugs?

Well whoever posted that quote of yours does not have correct info.

The only ones older than 45 who can claim this benefit are
Spanish retornados from other countires, or released from jail or detox, everyone else can claim when their dole quota has been used up.

So that means they they have had to have worked and paid into the system, so the guy you quoted is talking rubbish.

Here is the link below as to what is available and the criteria that has to be met.

http://www.seg-social.es/Internet_1/...7006/index.htm

Could he be a Spanish Troll??

angiescarr Mar 30th 2011 10:57 am

I'm wondering whether the Mystery Effect JFLS is speaking of... Of Spanish incomers (to use his word) not being accepted but British ones being welcomed could have another reason.
The type of Brits are more likely to buy in small villages are precisely those who actively want to integrate.
Whereas (and this is my experience here) The rich Spanish from the cities, In this case Seville and Huelva will move to the villages to retire, or just for part time living (keeping their city houses). Possibly with no intention of integrating with the campurrianos they possibly even look down on.
In my village there are many 'Sevillanos' who aren't integrated and who are lumped together by the locals as just that. 'Los Sevillanos' We, 'Los ingleses' on the other hand.. are lucky to be the only ones. Seen as a bit nutty, hard working, not here because we're rich!! And, though not as outgoing as the local Spanish, actively part of the village. And I guess a good subject for gossip, none of which we much mind!

bil Mar 30th 2011 11:33 am

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9273818)
I wonder if those of us who try to earn a living have been prime mugs?

No. Usually we lead a better life, we are more aspirational and strive to improve our lot.

Try doing that on the social. Any chance of getting a mortgage?

megmet Mar 30th 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by angiescarr (Post 9273937)
The type of Brits are more likely to buy in small villages are precisely those who actively want to integrate.

Whereas (and this is my experience here) The rich Spanish from the cities, will move to the villages to retire, or just for part time living (keeping their city houses). Possibly with no intention of integrating with the campurrianos they possibly even look down on.

We, 'Los ingleses' on the other hand.. are lucky to be the only ones. Seen as a bit nutty, hard working, not here because we're rich!! And, though not as outgoing as the local Spanish, actively part of the village. And I guess a good subject for gossip, none of which we much mind!

You could be describing us and our hamlet/village Angie. :D

scampicat Mar 30th 2011 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9274485)
You could be describing us and our hamlet/village Angie. :D

And us, and our village!