British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   My thoughts on moving back to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/my-thoughts-moving-back-uk-711013/)

anonimouse Mar 27th 2011 2:04 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Nice post and I agree that it feels like the UK wants all your very hard earned cash, for as little as possible in return.

I wonder, Do you feel as safe out and about late at night as you did in Spain?

jackytoo Mar 27th 2011 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9267405)
Neither do I in normal circumstances but when there is an emergency I can assure you that breaking the speed limit is a must. Before you say that I should have called an ambulance that would have wasted valuable time as they would have had to come from the hospital.

Rosemary

Aren't you allowed to go over the speed limit in Spain for an emergency. Have seen them do it....they drive waving a white hanky/cloth out of the car window.

I have felt safe in both countries where I have lived but there are places in both countries I wouldn't feel safe.

betris Mar 27th 2011 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267334)
I would just love to go around changing the signs so that where it said 'safety camera' it would say 'CASH MACHINE.'

:rofl::thumbup:

bil Mar 27th 2011 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9267525)
Strange though it may seem, most local authorities claim to be losing money on speed cameras and say that the cost of buying them, replacing,repairing and maintaining them plus administration costs is not covered by incoming funds from fines.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...ave.5230243.jp

My heart pumps piss for them.

HBG Mar 27th 2011 4:57 pm

An interesting tale from a returnee to the UK after many years in Spain. I tend to read those stories with respect, because it could happen to me (us). Some of the cocky new arrivals, spouting their approval of their new country after five minutes in the place should take note.

I’m sure the OP, within the first few years of his arrival in Spain, thought the same as the cocky newcomers, but things change for many, many reasons, and suddenly you’re packing your bags and arranging pet transport home.

I would like to have my ashes scattered in the blue Med, at this stage of my journey, but have never discounted the possibility that it may be the grey and stormy North Sea instead.

Chiclanagir Mar 27th 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267331)
When comparing what you get, I suppose it's the difference between what you pay here, and what you would pay in the UK.

Doesn´t help when you break your neck walking along the road though.

Chiclanagir Mar 27th 2011 5:10 pm

CCTV cameras don´t bother me either. In fact if I was in a city they would make me feel a bit safer.

betris Mar 27th 2011 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9267700)
An interesting tale from a returnee to the UK after many years in Spain. I tend to read those stories with respect, because it could happen to me (us). Some of the cocky new arrivals, spouting their approval of their new country after five minutes in the place should take note.

I’m sure the OP, within the first few years of his arrival in Spain, thought the same as the cocky newcomers, but things change for many, many reasons, and suddenly you’re packing your bags and arranging pet transport home.

I would like to have my ashes scattered in the blue Med, at this stage of my journey, but have never discounted the possibility that it may be the grey and stormy North Sea instead.

hbg this is not spain.yes they call it spain.spain died when they joind the eu in my opinion.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9267723)
Doesn´t help when you break your neck walking along the road though.

My point was that I resented potholes in the Uk because I had to pay so much more there.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9267731)
CCTV cameras don´t bother me either. In fact if I was in a city they would make me feel a bit safer.

I just resent being continually watched over by a government I despise and distrust.

Chiclanagir Mar 27th 2011 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267738)
My point was that I resented potholes in the Uk because I had to pay so much more there.

"I really resent you Mr English Pothole!"

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9267700)

No just with British expats though, I probable know more Spanish that have returned to the UK after moving "permanently back to Spain, than have stayed there. At the moment we have no intention of leaving Spain, but who knows.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by betris (Post 9267736)
hbg this is not spain.yes they call it spain.spain died when they joind the eu in my opinion.

You might just as well say that the real Spain died when Franco came in, or whichever era you prefer.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9267748)
No just with British expats though, I probable know more Spanish that have returned to the UK after moving "permanently back to Spain, than have stayed there. At the moment we have no intention of leaving Spain, but who knows.

Well, they do say that of UK expats, 70% return within 3 years. I don't see why Spanish people should transplant any better......

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by betris (Post 9267736)

As someone who thinks that Spain is still Spain, why is it different since joining the EU?