Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My thoughts on moving back to the UK

My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:24 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
benidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant future
Default My thoughts on moving back to the UK

HI, my first post so I thought id share my experience of what I had in Spain and what I experience back in the uk.

I lived in Spain since the late 90s, in the Benidorm area. The main jobs for brits there are hotel and bar jobs, I worked in a hotel for many years.
What I loved about me living in Spain is that you have the weather of course but I liked the fact that you can go out down the bars when you want,even at 11pm and enjoy a few drinks with your mates and then go home. Pay in general for a lot of people there I found was fairly average but that sort of compensates itself when the rent is lower and there are no council tax bills.
Anyway the reason why I moved back to England (last sep) is because of a couple of reasons. One is that most of my friends had moved home and were telling me how they didnt regret it and the other thing is that I wanted to be close to my parents who are getting old now and I was only seeing them twice a year.

Ok Ive been back 7 months now and I must admit I do miss Spain a lot but I do enjoy being back. I do feel that you have to work more for your money over here and living costs are more expensive. I was lucky to find a full time job but it is as a trade plate driver. I have to travel 30 miles to work and I can work upto 12hrs everyday going anywhere between Aberdeen and Dover. I do actually enjoy the work but for the hrs I work im on less than minimum wage. Ive recently moved into a flat at £450 but with bills its more like £650 as opposed to something bigger I rented in Spain and my living outgoings were about 520 euros p.m. Not quite such where our council tax money goes too cos the roads back in Britain are terrible.So many pot holes on the side streets that never get fixed is unbelieveable.
A lot more things have changed in Britain since I lived there in the 90s too. The whole country seems to be watching you. Much more speed cameras,CCTV, quite scary really and didnt experience any of that in Spain.

Britain is ok so far although I do get this feeling the country is out for what they can get out of you and leave you with nothing whereas I never felt like that in Spain whatsoever. The main thing is for me I have work and will now look for something better whilst I have work but I think for a single person to be 'adequatly' ok with earnings you need to earn at least £20k a year nowadays. My sister went for a job as a carer last week at only £6 an hour and 66 people went for that same job. My friend also moved back from Spain and he is trying to get HGV work so in the meantime he applied for a job pushing trollies at Asda and 50 people went for that same job so even though the unemployment rate is lower than Spain the competition even for low paid jobs are fierce.
I dont mean to slag off britain because the country has a lot of plusses for me too. I love the spring over here. I like the fact I can go to various car boots on a sunday and in my job ive visited a lot of beautiful places.Last week I drove through the cotsworlds.! Supermarket shopping I also find cheaper in the uk too. Im just trying to give people like myself who are wanting to move back to the uk after living in spain for so long another view of what its like. Being back is good but it isnt easy at all.
benidormboy is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:35 am
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,455
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

What a great post, so honest, saying the negatives without being destructive. Your reasons for returning sound positive and you are obviously still "feeling" your way around. Hope everything works out fine for you and you find a job that is better paid and of more interest to you.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:40 am
  #3  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by benidormboy View Post
HI, my first post so I thought id share my experience of what I had in Spain and what I experience back in the uk.

I lived in Spain since the late 90s, in the Benidorm area. The main jobs for brits there are hotel and bar jobs, I worked in a hotel for many years.
What I loved about me living in Spain is that you have the weather of course but I liked the fact that you can go out down the bars when you want,even at 11pm and enjoy a few drinks with your mates and then go home. Pay in general for a lot of people there I found was fairly average but that sort of compensates itself when the rent is lower and there are no council tax bills.
Anyway the reason why I moved back to England (last sep) is because of a couple of reasons. One is that most of my friends had moved home and were telling me how they didnt regret it and the other thing is that I wanted to be close to my parents who are getting old now and I was only seeing them twice a year.

Ok Ive been back 7 months now and I must admit I do miss Spain a lot but I do enjoy being back. I do feel that you have to work more for your money over here and living costs are more expensive. I was lucky to find a full time job but it is as a trade plate driver. I have to travel 30 miles to work and I can work upto 12hrs everyday going anywhere between Aberdeen and Dover. I do actually enjoy the work but for the hrs I work im on less than minimum wage. Ive recently moved into a flat at £450 but with bills its more like £650 as opposed to something bigger I rented in Spain and my living outgoings were about 520 euros p.m. Not quite such where our council tax money goes too cos the roads back in Britain are terrible.So many pot holes on the side streets that never get fixed is unbelieveable.
A lot more things have changed in Britain since I lived there in the 90s too. The whole country seems to be watching you. Much more speed cameras,CCTV, quite scary really and didnt experience any of that in Spain.

Britain is ok so far although I do get this feeling the country is out for what they can get out of you and leave you with nothing whereas I never felt like that in Spain whatsoever. The main thing is for me I have work and will now look for something better whilst I have work but I think for a single person to be 'adequatly' ok with earnings you need to earn at least £20k a year nowadays. My sister went for a job as a carer last week at only £6 an hour and 66 people went for that same job. My friend also moved back from Spain and he is trying to get HGV work so in the meantime he applied for a job pushing trollies at Asda and 50 people went for that same job so even though the unemployment rate is lower than Spain the competition even for low paid jobs are fierce.
I dont mean to slag off britain because the country has a lot of plusses for me too. I love the spring over here. I like the fact I can go to various car boots on a sunday and in my job ive visited a lot of beautiful places.Last week I drove through the cotsworlds.! Supermarket shopping I also find cheaper in the uk too. Im just trying to give people like myself who are wanting to move back to the uk after living in spain for so long another view of what its like. Being back is good but it isnt easy at all.


One thing you posted did strike a very resonant chord.

"Britain is ok so far although I do get this feeling the country is out for what they can get out of you and leave you with nothing whereas I never felt like that in Spain whatsoever."

I've made the self same remark many times. There used to be a time when I felt that the UK was run on the basis of 'We need Xmillion quid to run the country. How can we best raise that?'

That changed at some point where I felt their attitude was 'We want to take every penny we can.'

Security cameras. Yeah. Somewhere I read that there has never been a criminal case where security camera evidence had swung it. That may have changed, but I doubt it. I think they are more to do with controlling the populace.

After all, was that copper who beat up that old guy on camera ever punished for his death? As if.
bil is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:45 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
benidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Thanks Rosemary.

I came back to Britain with an open mind and with a lot of thought to what I was letting myself in for. I dont think I ever expected it to be easy anyway and its not as if Im not earning because im lucky to get something. I do think in Spain I wasnt really going anywhere and as a brit you tend to be limited to what you can do whereas back here you can go a lot further and earn more money.
I also thought about getting a trade here but was never sure what in.When I mentioned a possible trade there is always someone telling you that trade isnt good nowadays (plasterer,gasfitter,HGV driver) so ive been put off doing any of those. Ive chosen that I want to work for SKY. I have a friend who is a sky engineer and they are looked after. You work a 15 mile radius from your home,you get to keep the van for your own pleasure,you get paid life assurance,free sky hd in your home and he pulls over 25k a year so im just waiting for the position to come up in my area and ill be trying my best so finger crossed.
benidormboy is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:48 am
  #5  
Not Banned (yet)
 
steviedeluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6,397
steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

I agree, it is a great post. I think the issue of getting a job is problematic in most places nowadays. I certainly feel that anyway moving back should research this as a top priority - as the OP states for any job that comes vacant there are 50-500 other people applying (depending on area/sector). If you can, chose to go back to an area where you know there are vacancies in your job sector. It's also difficult (to start with) to claim benefits when you return, as the benefit office "assume" you are not permanently resident in the UK. So try and have some money put by (easier said than done) to get through the first few weeks.
As for the cost of living - yes it is expensive, especially transport, but there are lots of ways to cut bills by shopping around. This site can help a lot in different areas:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/
Lastly - yes Spring is a great season to enjoy the countryside. Lot's of great places to explore, so if through circumstance you don't get that job straight away, at least you can enjoy the marvellous scenery.
steviedeluxe is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:49 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
benidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant futurebenidormboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by bil View Post
One thing you posted did strike a very resonant chord.

"Britain is ok so far although I do get this feeling the country is out for what they can get out of you and leave you with nothing whereas I never felt like that in Spain whatsoever."

I've made the self same remark many times. There used to be a time when I felt that the UK was run on the basis of 'We need Xmillion quid to run the country. How can we best raise that?'

That changed at some point where I felt their attitude was 'We want to take every penny we can.'

Security cameras. Yeah. Somewhere I read that there has never been a criminal case where security camera evidence had swung it. That may have changed, but I doubt it. I think they are more to do with controlling the populace.

After all, was that copper who beat up that old guy on camera ever punished for his death? As if.
I was reading about the speed cameras and each camera costs £20,000 however there is only just over 50% actually in use and the rest are dummies. I heard on Radio 2 that one town(cant remember the name of it) had all the cameras switched off and the accident rate was actually better then what it was when they were switched on because drivers arnt constantly watching their speedo to make sure they dont go over.
benidormboy is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:08 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

And Spain doesn´t have potholes? You should live in our road.
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:51 am
  #8  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir View Post
And Spain doesn´t have potholes? You should live in our road.
When comparing what you get, I suppose it's the difference between what you pay here, and what you would pay in the UK.
bil is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:52 am
  #9  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by benidormboy View Post
I was reading about the speed cameras and each camera costs £20,000 however there is only just over 50% actually in use and the rest are dummies. I heard on Radio 2 that one town(cant remember the name of it) had all the cameras switched off and the accident rate was actually better then what it was when they were switched on because drivers arnt constantly watching their speedo to make sure they dont go over.
I would just love to go around changing the signs so that where it said 'safety camera' it would say 'CASH MACHINE.'
bil is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:21 pm
  #10  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,455
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by benidormboy View Post
I was reading about the speed cameras and each camera costs £20,000 however there is only just over 50% actually in use and the rest are dummies. I heard on Radio 2 that one town(cant remember the name of it) had all the cameras switched off and the accident rate was actually better then what it was when they were switched on because drivers arnt constantly watching their speedo to make sure they dont go over.
There is one on the road between our place and the hospital which someone had very kindly blacked out the lens so luckily I did not get a single speeding ticket when I had to drive my OH to urgencias on numerous occasions last year.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:22 pm
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Living in a good place
Posts: 8,824
jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

I am in agreement with CCTV cameras, scoff but many criminals have been caught or clues been found. The murderer of two women was caught only a few days ago by CCTV when she was seen getting into his taxi. As I don't do anything to break the law they don't bother me.

If someone works for minimum wage don't they get rent and council tax benefits?
jackytoo is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:37 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Valencia
Posts: 1,164
whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by jackytoo View Post

If someone works for minimum wage don't they get rent and council tax benefits?
Yes they do and they also get tax credits with or without children. Those with children get family allowance and additional tax credits as well.

None of which are available in Spain.

As for the CCTV, if you are not a crook or have nothing to hide who cares?
I also have property in a small market town and CCTV allowed the cops to bring a bunch of young thugs to book and all are now locked up.

Last edited by whitelinen; Mar 27th 2011 at 12:39 pm.
whitelinen is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:37 pm
  #13  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,455
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by jackytoo View Post
I am in agreement with CCTV cameras, scoff but many criminals have been caught or clues been found. The murderer of two women was caught only a few days ago by CCTV when she was seen getting into his taxi. As I don't do anything to break the law they don't bother me.

If someone works for minimum wage don't they get rent and council tax benefits?
Neither do I in normal circumstances but when there is an emergency I can assure you that breaking the speed limit is a must. Before you say that I should have called an ambulance that would have wasted valuable time as they would have had to come from the hospital.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:00 pm
  #14  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by jackytoo View Post
I am in agreement with CCTV cameras, scoff but many criminals have been caught or clues been found. The murderer of two women was caught only a few days ago by CCTV when she was seen getting into his taxi. As I don't do anything to break the law they don't bother me.

If someone works for minimum wage don't they get rent and council tax benefits?
I saw that on the news. swine
JLFS is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:04 pm
  #15  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by bil View Post
I would just love to go around changing the signs so that where it said 'safety camera' it would say 'CASH MACHINE.'
Strange though it may seem, most local authorities claim to be losing money on speed cameras and say that the cost of buying them, replacing,repairing and maintaining them plus administration costs is not covered by incoming funds from fines.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...ave.5230243.jp
Dick Dasterdly is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.