British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   My thoughts on moving back to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/my-thoughts-moving-back-uk-711013/)

benidormboy Mar 27th 2011 10:24 am

My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
HI, my first post so I thought id share my experience of what I had in Spain and what I experience back in the uk.

I lived in Spain since the late 90s, in the Benidorm area. The main jobs for brits there are hotel and bar jobs, I worked in a hotel for many years.
What I loved about me living in Spain is that you have the weather of course but I liked the fact that you can go out down the bars when you want,even at 11pm and enjoy a few drinks with your mates and then go home. Pay in general for a lot of people there I found was fairly average but that sort of compensates itself when the rent is lower and there are no council tax bills.
Anyway the reason why I moved back to England (last sep) is because of a couple of reasons. One is that most of my friends had moved home and were telling me how they didnt regret it and the other thing is that I wanted to be close to my parents who are getting old now and I was only seeing them twice a year.

Ok Ive been back 7 months now and I must admit I do miss Spain a lot but I do enjoy being back. I do feel that you have to work more for your money over here and living costs are more expensive. I was lucky to find a full time job but it is as a trade plate driver. I have to travel 30 miles to work and I can work upto 12hrs everyday going anywhere between Aberdeen and Dover. I do actually enjoy the work but for the hrs I work im on less than minimum wage. Ive recently moved into a flat at £450 but with bills its more like £650 as opposed to something bigger I rented in Spain and my living outgoings were about 520 euros p.m. Not quite such where our council tax money goes too cos the roads back in Britain are terrible.So many pot holes on the side streets that never get fixed is unbelieveable.
A lot more things have changed in Britain since I lived there in the 90s too. The whole country seems to be watching you. Much more speed cameras,CCTV, quite scary really and didnt experience any of that in Spain.

Britain is ok so far although I do get this feeling the country is out for what they can get out of you and leave you with nothing whereas I never felt like that in Spain whatsoever. The main thing is for me I have work and will now look for something better whilst I have work but I think for a single person to be 'adequatly' ok with earnings you need to earn at least £20k a year nowadays. My sister went for a job as a carer last week at only £6 an hour and 66 people went for that same job. My friend also moved back from Spain and he is trying to get HGV work so in the meantime he applied for a job pushing trollies at Asda and 50 people went for that same job so even though the unemployment rate is lower than Spain the competition even for low paid jobs are fierce.
I dont mean to slag off britain because the country has a lot of plusses for me too. I love the spring over here. I like the fact I can go to various car boots on a sunday and in my job ive visited a lot of beautiful places.Last week I drove through the cotsworlds.! Supermarket shopping I also find cheaper in the uk too. Im just trying to give people like myself who are wanting to move back to the uk after living in spain for so long another view of what its like. Being back is good but it isnt easy at all.

Rosemary Mar 27th 2011 10:35 am

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
What a great post, so honest, saying the negatives without being destructive. Your reasons for returning sound positive and you are obviously still "feeling" your way around. Hope everything works out fine for you and you find a job that is better paid and of more interest to you.

Rosemary

bil Mar 27th 2011 10:40 am

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by benidormboy (Post 9267201)
HI, my first post so I thought id share my experience of what I had in Spain and what I experience back in the uk.

I lived in Spain since the late 90s, in the Benidorm area. The main jobs for brits there are hotel and bar jobs, I worked in a hotel for many years.
What I loved about me living in Spain is that you have the weather of course but I liked the fact that you can go out down the bars when you want,even at 11pm and enjoy a few drinks with your mates and then go home. Pay in general for a lot of people there I found was fairly average but that sort of compensates itself when the rent is lower and there are no council tax bills.
Anyway the reason why I moved back to England (last sep) is because of a couple of reasons. One is that most of my friends had moved home and were telling me how they didnt regret it and the other thing is that I wanted to be close to my parents who are getting old now and I was only seeing them twice a year.

Ok Ive been back 7 months now and I must admit I do miss Spain a lot but I do enjoy being back. I do feel that you have to work more for your money over here and living costs are more expensive. I was lucky to find a full time job but it is as a trade plate driver. I have to travel 30 miles to work and I can work upto 12hrs everyday going anywhere between Aberdeen and Dover. I do actually enjoy the work but for the hrs I work im on less than minimum wage. Ive recently moved into a flat at £450 but with bills its more like £650 as opposed to something bigger I rented in Spain and my living outgoings were about 520 euros p.m. Not quite such where our council tax money goes too cos the roads back in Britain are terrible.So many pot holes on the side streets that never get fixed is unbelieveable.
A lot more things have changed in Britain since I lived there in the 90s too. The whole country seems to be watching you. Much more speed cameras,CCTV, quite scary really and didnt experience any of that in Spain.

Britain is ok so far although I do get this feeling the country is out for what they can get out of you and leave you with nothing whereas I never felt like that in Spain whatsoever. The main thing is for me I have work and will now look for something better whilst I have work but I think for a single person to be 'adequatly' ok with earnings you need to earn at least £20k a year nowadays. My sister went for a job as a carer last week at only £6 an hour and 66 people went for that same job. My friend also moved back from Spain and he is trying to get HGV work so in the meantime he applied for a job pushing trollies at Asda and 50 people went for that same job so even though the unemployment rate is lower than Spain the competition even for low paid jobs are fierce.
I dont mean to slag off britain because the country has a lot of plusses for me too. I love the spring over here. I like the fact I can go to various car boots on a sunday and in my job ive visited a lot of beautiful places.Last week I drove through the cotsworlds.! Supermarket shopping I also find cheaper in the uk too. Im just trying to give people like myself who are wanting to move back to the uk after living in spain for so long another view of what its like. Being back is good but it isnt easy at all.



One thing you posted did strike a very resonant chord.

"Britain is ok so far although I do get this feeling the country is out for what they can get out of you and leave you with nothing whereas I never felt like that in Spain whatsoever."

I've made the self same remark many times. There used to be a time when I felt that the UK was run on the basis of 'We need Xmillion quid to run the country. How can we best raise that?'

That changed at some point where I felt their attitude was 'We want to take every penny we can.'

Security cameras. Yeah. Somewhere I read that there has never been a criminal case where security camera evidence had swung it. That may have changed, but I doubt it. I think they are more to do with controlling the populace.

After all, was that copper who beat up that old guy on camera ever punished for his death? As if.

benidormboy Mar 27th 2011 10:45 am

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
Thanks Rosemary.

I came back to Britain with an open mind and with a lot of thought to what I was letting myself in for. I dont think I ever expected it to be easy anyway and its not as if Im not earning because im lucky to get something. I do think in Spain I wasnt really going anywhere and as a brit you tend to be limited to what you can do whereas back here you can go a lot further and earn more money.
I also thought about getting a trade here but was never sure what in.When I mentioned a possible trade there is always someone telling you that trade isnt good nowadays (plasterer,gasfitter,HGV driver) so ive been put off doing any of those. Ive chosen that I want to work for SKY. I have a friend who is a sky engineer and they are looked after. You work a 15 mile radius from your home,you get to keep the van for your own pleasure,you get paid life assurance,free sky hd in your home and he pulls over 25k a year so im just waiting for the position to come up in my area and ill be trying my best so finger crossed.

steviedeluxe Mar 27th 2011 10:48 am

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
I agree, it is a great post. I think the issue of getting a job is problematic in most places nowadays. I certainly feel that anyway moving back should research this as a top priority - as the OP states for any job that comes vacant there are 50-500 other people applying (depending on area/sector). If you can, chose to go back to an area where you know there are vacancies in your job sector. It's also difficult (to start with) to claim benefits when you return, as the benefit office "assume" you are not permanently resident in the UK. So try and have some money put by (easier said than done) to get through the first few weeks.
As for the cost of living - yes it is expensive, especially transport, but there are lots of ways to cut bills by shopping around. This site can help a lot in different areas:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/
Lastly - yes Spring is a great season to enjoy the countryside. Lot's of great places to explore, so if through circumstance you don't get that job straight away, at least you can enjoy the marvellous scenery.

benidormboy Mar 27th 2011 10:49 am

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267230)
One thing you posted did strike a very resonant chord.

"Britain is ok so far although I do get this feeling the country is out for what they can get out of you and leave you with nothing whereas I never felt like that in Spain whatsoever."

I've made the self same remark many times. There used to be a time when I felt that the UK was run on the basis of 'We need Xmillion quid to run the country. How can we best raise that?'

That changed at some point where I felt their attitude was 'We want to take every penny we can.'

Security cameras. Yeah. Somewhere I read that there has never been a criminal case where security camera evidence had swung it. That may have changed, but I doubt it. I think they are more to do with controlling the populace.

After all, was that copper who beat up that old guy on camera ever punished for his death? As if.

I was reading about the speed cameras and each camera costs £20,000:blink: however there is only just over 50% actually in use and the rest are dummies. I heard on Radio 2 that one town(cant remember the name of it) had all the cameras switched off and the accident rate was actually better then what it was when they were switched on because drivers arnt constantly watching their speedo to make sure they dont go over.

Chiclanagir Mar 27th 2011 11:08 am

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
And Spain doesn´t have potholes? You should live in our road.:p

bil Mar 27th 2011 11:51 am

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9267271)
And Spain doesn´t have potholes? You should live in our road.:p

When comparing what you get, I suppose it's the difference between what you pay here, and what you would pay in the UK.

bil Mar 27th 2011 11:52 am

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by benidormboy (Post 9267250)
I was reading about the speed cameras and each camera costs £20,000:blink: however there is only just over 50% actually in use and the rest are dummies. I heard on Radio 2 that one town(cant remember the name of it) had all the cameras switched off and the accident rate was actually better then what it was when they were switched on because drivers arnt constantly watching their speedo to make sure they dont go over.

I would just love to go around changing the signs so that where it said 'safety camera' it would say 'CASH MACHINE.'

Rosemary Mar 27th 2011 12:21 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by benidormboy (Post 9267250)
I was reading about the speed cameras and each camera costs £20,000:blink: however there is only just over 50% actually in use and the rest are dummies. I heard on Radio 2 that one town(cant remember the name of it) had all the cameras switched off and the accident rate was actually better then what it was when they were switched on because drivers arnt constantly watching their speedo to make sure they dont go over.

There is one on the road between our place and the hospital which someone had very kindly blacked out the lens so luckily I did not get a single speeding ticket when I had to drive my OH to urgencias on numerous occasions last year.

Rosemary

jackytoo Mar 27th 2011 12:22 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
I am in agreement with CCTV cameras, scoff but many criminals have been caught or clues been found. The murderer of two women was caught only a few days ago by CCTV when she was seen getting into his taxi. As I don't do anything to break the law they don't bother me.

If someone works for minimum wage don't they get rent and council tax benefits?

whitelinen Mar 27th 2011 12:37 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9267375)

If someone works for minimum wage don't they get rent and council tax benefits?

Yes they do and they also get tax credits with or without children. Those with children get family allowance and additional tax credits as well.

None of which are available in Spain.

As for the CCTV, if you are not a crook or have nothing to hide who cares?
I also have property in a small market town and CCTV allowed the cops to bring a bunch of young thugs to book and all are now locked up.

Rosemary Mar 27th 2011 12:37 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9267375)
I am in agreement with CCTV cameras, scoff but many criminals have been caught or clues been found. The murderer of two women was caught only a few days ago by CCTV when she was seen getting into his taxi. As I don't do anything to break the law they don't bother me.

If someone works for minimum wage don't they get rent and council tax benefits?

Neither do I in normal circumstances but when there is an emergency I can assure you that breaking the speed limit is a must. Before you say that I should have called an ambulance that would have wasted valuable time as they would have had to come from the hospital.

Rosemary

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 2:00 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9267375)
I am in agreement with CCTV cameras, scoff but many criminals have been caught or clues been found. The murderer of two women was caught only a few days ago by CCTV when she was seen getting into his taxi. As I don't do anything to break the law they don't bother me.

If someone works for minimum wage don't they get rent and council tax benefits?

I saw that on the news.:thumbdown: swine:thumbdown:

Dick Dasterdly Mar 27th 2011 2:04 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267334)
I would just love to go around changing the signs so that where it said 'safety camera' it would say 'CASH MACHINE.'

Strange though it may seem, most local authorities claim to be losing money on speed cameras and say that the cost of buying them, replacing,repairing and maintaining them plus administration costs is not covered by incoming funds from fines.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...ave.5230243.jp

anonimouse Mar 27th 2011 2:04 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
Nice post and I agree that it feels like the UK wants all your very hard earned cash, for as little as possible in return.

I wonder, Do you feel as safe out and about late at night as you did in Spain?

jackytoo Mar 27th 2011 2:08 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9267405)
Neither do I in normal circumstances but when there is an emergency I can assure you that breaking the speed limit is a must. Before you say that I should have called an ambulance that would have wasted valuable time as they would have had to come from the hospital.

Rosemary


Aren't you allowed to go over the speed limit in Spain for an emergency. Have seen them do it....they drive waving a white hanky/cloth out of the car window.

I have felt safe in both countries where I have lived but there are places in both countries I wouldn't feel safe.

betris Mar 27th 2011 2:25 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267334)
I would just love to go around changing the signs so that where it said 'safety camera' it would say 'CASH MACHINE.'

:rofl::thumbup:

bil Mar 27th 2011 2:29 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9267525)
Strange though it may seem, most local authorities claim to be losing money on speed cameras and say that the cost of buying them, replacing,repairing and maintaining them plus administration costs is not covered by incoming funds from fines.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...ave.5230243.jp

My heart pumps piss for them.

HBG Mar 27th 2011 4:57 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
An interesting tale from a returnee to the UK after many years in Spain. I tend to read those stories with respect, because it could happen to me (us). Some of the cocky new arrivals, spouting their approval of their new country after five minutes in the place should take note.

I’m sure the OP, within the first few years of his arrival in Spain, thought the same as the cocky newcomers, but things change for many, many reasons, and suddenly you’re packing your bags and arranging pet transport home.

I would like to have my ashes scattered in the blue Med, at this stage of my journey, but have never discounted the possibility that it may be the grey and stormy North Sea instead.

Chiclanagir Mar 27th 2011 5:07 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267331)
When comparing what you get, I suppose it's the difference between what you pay here, and what you would pay in the UK.

Doesn´t help when you break your neck walking along the road though.

Chiclanagir Mar 27th 2011 5:10 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
CCTV cameras don´t bother me either. In fact if I was in a city they would make me feel a bit safer.

betris Mar 27th 2011 5:12 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9267700)
An interesting tale from a returnee to the UK after many years in Spain. I tend to read those stories with respect, because it could happen to me (us). Some of the cocky new arrivals, spouting their approval of their new country after five minutes in the place should take note.

I’m sure the OP, within the first few years of his arrival in Spain, thought the same as the cocky newcomers, but things change for many, many reasons, and suddenly you’re packing your bags and arranging pet transport home.

I would like to have my ashes scattered in the blue Med, at this stage of my journey, but have never discounted the possibility that it may be the grey and stormy North Sea instead.

hbg this is not spain.yes they call it spain.spain died when they joind the eu in my opinion.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:13 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9267723)
Doesn´t help when you break your neck walking along the road though.

My point was that I resented potholes in the Uk because I had to pay so much more there.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:13 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9267731)
CCTV cameras don´t bother me either. In fact if I was in a city they would make me feel a bit safer.

I just resent being continually watched over by a government I despise and distrust.

Chiclanagir Mar 27th 2011 5:14 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267738)
My point was that I resented potholes in the Uk because I had to pay so much more there.

"I really resent you Mr English Pothole!"

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 5:15 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9267700)
An interesting tale from a returnee to the UK after many years in Spain. I tend to read those stories with respect, because it could happen to me (us). Some of the cocky new arrivals, spouting their approval of their new country after five minutes in the place should take note.

I’m sure the OP, within the first few years of his arrival in Spain, thought the same as the cocky newcomers, but things change for many, many reasons, and suddenly you’re packing your bags and arranging pet transport home.

I would like to have my ashes scattered in the blue Med, at this stage of my journey, but have never discounted the possibility that it may be the grey and stormy North Sea instead.

No just with British expats though, I probable know more Spanish that have returned to the UK after moving "permanently back to Spain, than have stayed there. At the moment we have no intention of leaving Spain, but who knows.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:15 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by betris (Post 9267736)
hbg this is not spain.yes they call it spain.spain died when they joind the eu in my opinion.

You might just as well say that the real Spain died when Franco came in, or whichever era you prefer.

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:16 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9267748)
No just with British expats though, I probable know more Spanish that have returned to the UK after moving "permanently back to Spain, than have stayed there. At the moment we have no intention of leaving Spain, but who knows.

Well, they do say that of UK expats, 70% return within 3 years. I don't see why Spanish people should transplant any better......

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 5:17 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by betris (Post 9267736)
hbg this is not spain.yes they call it spain.spain died when they joind the eu in my opinion.

As someone who thinks that Spain is still Spain, why is it different since joining the EU?

betris Mar 27th 2011 5:19 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9267731)
CCTV cameras don´t bother me either. In fact if I was in a city they would make me feel a bit safer.

providing you have instant responce.other wise you feel safe but your not.the crook just needs a ballie

benidormboy Mar 27th 2011 6:25 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9267526)
Nice post and I agree that it feels like the UK wants all your very hard earned cash, for as little as possible in return.

I wonder, Do you feel as safe out and about late at night as you did in Spain?

Well I lived in a holiday resort so I could say I always felt quite safe, however there are areas (or streets) not to go down at night as they were known for mugging. Ive always been careful where I go in the evening spain and the uk and always stick to areas where there are a few people around.

HBG Mar 27th 2011 7:49 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9267748)
No just with British expats though, I probable know more Spanish that have returned to the UK after moving "permanently back to Spain, than have stayed there. At the moment we have no intention of leaving Spain, but who knows.

Spanish people, like Scottish and Irish people, and many others in the world, have had to leave their home countries to seek work abroad when their own countries failed them. It’s perfectly natural that they would wish to return to their roots when the opportunity arose, even after they had been abroad for a long time.

I don’t have any statistics but have read that Irish people are on the move again, for the same financial reasons as before, and that it’s happening in Spain too. It stands to reason, you have a young family to support and can’t do it in your own country, so you get on your bike.

I know. I’ve done it. Not on a bike, it was a Ford Cortina.

JLFS Mar 27th 2011 8:17 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9268015)
Spanish people, like Scottish and Irish people, and many others in the world, have had to leave their home countries to seek work abroad when their own countries failed them. It’s perfectly natural that they would wish to return to their roots when the opportunity arose, even after they had been abroad for a long time.I don’t have any statistics but have read that Irish people are on the move again, for the same financial reasons as before, and that it’s happening in Spain too. It stands to reason, you have a young family to support and can’t do it in your own country, so you get on your bike.

I know. I’ve done it. Not on a bike, it was a Ford Cortina.

I dont think that you understood my post, I was saying that more than half of the Spanish folks that I know who moved back to Spain, have since returned to the Uk for various reasons, lack of jobs I suppose.
They did intend to stay permanantly, but it was not to be.

If it is difficult for them making the move with the advantages they already have, with reference to language, then for others of working age it must be much harder to get established.

I know it is natural to want to get back to your roots, but sometimes even for the Spanish, going back to Spain has not worked out for them, or maybe not what they expected it to be like.

After being away so long maybe it was not as it was when they left.

The ones that did tend to stay were of pension age and quite often then chose a sunnier part of Spain than the were from, to take advantage of the better weather, just like the british do.

HBG Mar 27th 2011 8:43 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9268055)
I dont think that you understood my post, I was saying that more than half of the Spanish folks that I know who moved back to Spain, have since returned to the Uk for various reasons, lack of jobs I suppose.
They did intend to stay permanantly, but it was not to be.

If it is difficult for them making the move with the advantages they already have, with reference to language, then for others of working age it must be much harder to get established.

I know it is natural to want to get back to your roots, but sometimes even for the Spanish, going back to Spain has not worked out for them, or maybe not what they expected it to be like.

After being away so long maybe it was not as it was when they left.

The ones that did tend to stay were of pension age and quite often then chose a sunnier part of Spain than the were from, to take advantage of the better weather, just like the british do.

I don’t think I misunderstood, but it doesn’t matter. I moved to provide a better life for all of us, and returned to my roots when I had dug up all those foreign streets lined with gold.

To my surprise and despair, I found that the place hadn’t been waiting for me for all those years, it was a different place – I wandered around familiar streets peopled by strangers.

So I gave up and moved to yet another place, and another one, until I found one that was warmer than the others and stayed. The realisation that there was no place to return to haunted me for a long time, I had been away too long. So if I return, it will be to place number three, one and two have gone, and I’m in place five. Four is too hard.

I can only explain it further by describing home as a place where you hang your hat.

bil Mar 27th 2011 8:46 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9268088)
I don’t think I misunderstood, but it doesn’t matter. I moved to provide a better life for all of us, and returned to my roots when I had dug up all those foreign streets lined with gold.

To my surprise and despair, I found that the place hadn’t been waiting for me for all those years, it was a different place – I wandered around familiar streets peopled by strangers.

So I gave up and moved to yet another place, and another one, until I found one that was warmer than the others and stayed. The realisation that there was no place to return to haunted me for a long time, I had been away too long. So if I return, it will be to place number three, one and two have gone, and I’m in place five. Four is too hard.

I can only explain it further by describing home as a place where you hang your hat.



You are bright enough to realise that you can't cross the same river twice.

All to many go back to the UK with the old rose tinteds superglued in place, and I fear that for some of them the place will have changed beyond recognition.

Mataroni Mar 27th 2011 8:59 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
I'm still living here in Spain and to be honest everytime I come back from Britain I think 'Thank god I don't live there any more!', but on the other hand there are always things I'll miss.

I think that once you've lived in another country for a few years you become 'countryless'. You don't really belong anywhere, you'll always be considered a foreigner in Spain and never be at home in Britain.

Rotor Mar 27th 2011 9:39 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 
I think a lot of being content in any country comes down to greebacks, if your broke in Spain or the UK life will be miserable ,many expat pensioners came to Spain for the cheaper living costs as well as the sunshine ,where can you buy a country cottage in the UK with land etc for under 150K ?but things have changed a lot in the last 3 years ,living costs in Spain are getting close to those in the UK and those who rely on UK state pensions are obviously finding life a lot tougher if not impossible.

Pensioners may believe that life in Spain is more liberal and unhindered by the authorities but those in business and autonomos know very different ,you cant breath without a permit.!

bil Mar 27th 2011 9:44 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by Mataroni (Post 9268105)
I'm still living here in Spain and to be honest everytime I come back from Britain I think 'Thank god I don't live there any more!', but on the other hand there are always things I'll miss.

I think that once you've lived in another country for a few years you become 'countryless'. You don't really belong anywhere, you'll always be considered a foreigner in Spain and never be at home in Britain.

Yeah, I think the same. When have to go back it's with enormous unease, and I can't frigging WAIT to come home.

I look on myself as a citizen of Europe. I happened to be born in the UK, but have chosen to live in Spain.

Mitzyboy Mar 27th 2011 10:56 pm

Re: My thoughts on moving back to the UK
 

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9268181)
Yeah, I think the same. When have to go back it's with enormous unease, and I can't frigging WAIT to come home.

I look on myself as a citizen of Europe. I happened to be born in the UK, but have chosen to live in Spain.

Well, I know I'm different to most here.

I moved to Spain for a specific reason. I enjoy living here, but I have no unease about going back to the UK, in fact I tremendously enjoy it. I'm aware of the issues there, and I'm equally aware of the issues here

Home is England for me. I'm a visitor here, and thats the way it will always be


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:26 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.