Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My observations in the current climate!

My observations in the current climate!

Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute
Default My observations in the current climate!

Hi
just thought I would post my observations on how the sterling issue has affected my visit.

Firstly I would like to say that it obviously feels very expensive, this is not too bad if you drink lager or wine, but as i drink shorts they seem really expensive.

We have eaten in quite a few times and this has made quite a difference to our expenditure, although when you price compare to spanish supermarkets they seem very expensive. English goods do seem SOOO dear, some english imported butter was 4.5 E for a small pack (£4.50)

The paseo in Fuengirola seems uncannily dead, but the small bars in Los boliches seem to be doing ok.

I was shocked to see that some of my haunts that had closed have reopened! with new people. What a bad time to get involved!

I will reccomend Bar Uno on The main st of bars in los boliches, the new owners are great, the bar is cheap and their quiz was a real laugh. good luck to them.

I hear many expats have returned to Uk, but i can honestly say if you were unaware of the problems at present you would remain un aware.

I also note that BUNNY LANE the famous female impersonator has left his club and Terri Fox is now in residence.

LPH and spit the dog
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My observations in the current climate!

One difference in behaviour when in Spain is that people more often pay for
things in cash, rather than merely waving the plastic. This means you're more
aware of actually spending money and tend to scrutinise prices more.

In the UK, you'd probably put the week's food shopping on a card, and wouldn't
really notice (or care) if it came to £100. However, in Spain, since CC's are
rarer, you may well baulk at paying €100 in notes for the same things.

That's one of the reasons why the money-saving websites always recommend
taking cash, instead of cards, when you go shopping: you're more aware of
what you're spending - and know when you've reached your bedget limit.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:33 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My observations in the current climate!

In ireland over the holidays and have few mates home from Uk and yes there finding it lost more very expensive then last year , but the irish love this as there going over the boarder and shipping to hollyhead , foot passenger for 39,00 euros return , for shopping and booze but that not stay over night as hotel price are mad ,