Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My neighbour's garden

My neighbour's garden

Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all
Default My neighbour's garden

This year I have decided to grow some edible things on my terrace, everything in pots. I have tomatoes, chillies, scotch bonnets, lemon grass, coriander and other herbs. Anyway they all like the sun and are doing well (apart from basil which always fails for me).

This morning I noticed my neighbour on the terrace across the street bringing three pots out from his apartment and placing them in some holders he's recently installed. Being a bit nosey, and wondering about the care he was showing, I got out my telephoto and snapped.

Of course he is growing a few cannabis plants. If I smoked I would too, but I gave that up many many years ago. I do think it is a good thing that people won't get hassled (on the whole) for growing their own in Spain, better than them seeking out the final links in the chains of criminality that result from the illegal status of the weed
Attached Thumbnails My neighbour's garden-gardening.jpg  
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My neighbour's garden

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
This year I have decided to grow some edible things on my terrace, everything in pots. I have tomatoes, chillies, scotch bonnets, lemon grass, coriander and other herbs. Anyway they all like the sun and are doing well (apart from basil which always fails for me).

This morning I noticed my neighbour on the terrace across the street bringing three pots out from his apartment and placing them in some holders he's recently installed. Being a bit nosey, and wondering about the care he was showing, I got out my telephoto and snapped.

Of course he is growing a few cannabis plants. If I smoked I would too, but I gave that up many many years ago. I do think it is a good thing that people won't get hassled (on the whole) for growing their own in Spain, better than them seeking out the final links in the chains of criminality that result from the illegal status of the weed
I think that generaly and unofficially the GC turn a blind eye to no more than 3 plants, but then some of them do make it up as they go along, bless 'em.
I don't know what the precise law is on it but it seems to be one of those theory and practice things again, something Spain is really good at.
Maybe you should get some to give to your landlord
( not really of course)

Last edited by twistedmelon; Apr 18th 2011 at 10:36 pm. Reason: get out clause
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

Yeah, she might chill out when I present another repair for her
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:05 am
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

In Spain. Basically personal use is tolerated but supplying is illegal. But, unless you grow your own I don't see how a person can use unless there has been a supplier !!!!

In my experience as a volunteer translator with the Nat Police, personal users in public places are not prosecuted, although the police sometimes 'lean on them' a bit to trace the supplier.

From Wiki:-

In Spain the possession and use of cannabis in public places is classed as a misdemeanour under public health laws and is punishable by fines and confiscation. Trafficking (supplying) is a criminal offence.

However, the right to consume marijuana and grow plants for personal consumption in one's private property is protected under the Spanish constitution. In practice one can still be denounced for doing so by neighbours or ill-wishers, and the burden is then effectively on the user or grower to prove that the material is for personal use only.

In recent years a number of members' associations have been established throughout the country in an attempt to extend the boundary of the Spanish citizen's constitutional rights. In an association cannabis is grown and shared among the members. The association may not promote or be seen to encourage the use of cannabis and it must be a closed group for existing adult consumers only, distributing only small amounts regularly to each member (typically 10 grams per week) so as to prevent the possibility of trafficking. As well as a membership fee, members must pay for what they consume and prices may not be much different than on the black market.

Where the associations have come under legal challenge they have been able to surmount this, and in at least one case have secured the return of several kilos of confiscated plants.

Last edited by JulianWard; Apr 19th 2011 at 6:09 am.