Reload this Page >

Is my move realistic?

Is my move realistic?

Old Jan 22nd 2021, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

FRANMACK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my move realistic?

Hi
I've just joined the forum as I am really determined to move to Spain from the UK but I would like to ask those already living there - what is a realistic income for one person? I will have the cash to buy a house outright and I won't be working. I'm looking in the Costa Tropical area.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 2:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my move realistic?

Hi, welcome to BE.

Can't help with realistic income, but obviously now the UK has left the EU you'll need a visa, and to meet the financial requirements for that. Here is a recent post with some info on the amount you'll need in annual income to qualify - non lucra visa. If you do a forum search you'll find other threads with info on the visa eligibility requirements.

Others will be along to help with more info shortly I'm sure.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Those of us already here have not been through the new system which has obviously changed dramatically now UK is non-EU -

Worth a look here
https://www.pellicerheredia.com/en/n...SAAEgJz3vD_BwE
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 9:14 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola,

I've been here for nearly eighteen years and for whatever reason, i have just completed an analysis of my last three months spending.

Remember I am under lockdown; I am not shielding but I do avoid crowds and keep my bubble small so I would say I save a hundred euros a month - possibly.

I spend on average 1,000 euros a month on "living" a fairly comfortable life in one of the cheapest parts of Spain. Therefore a single person (like me) would need more to live in a better area, and more if going out is your thing

Davexf
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 11:42 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FRANMACK
Hi
I've just joined the forum as I am really determined to move to Spain from the UK but I would like to ask those already living there - what is a realistic income for one person? I will have the cash to buy a house outright and I won't be working. I'm looking in the Costa Tropical area.
Costa Tropical is quite a large area. It is cheaper to live nearer Almeria and more expensive nearer to Malaga. I would suggest you budget the same expenditure as you currently have in UK.

You will need to comply with post Brexit income requirements and have private medical insurance.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Rent before you buy would be my first bit of advice I`d give from personal experience and that of others .
Old Jan 24th 2021, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah! - I'll run with Rotor, rent before you buy. You can test the water, experience the change and in a few short weeks will discover if Spain is for you. You're not the first and won't be the last to move to Spain. But, be realistic in your outlook.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why buy when you can rent ?
Escape from the fixation of being a property-owner.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I agree to rent at first but if you fall in love with Spain try and buy and enjoy the security and peace of mind of not having a landlord - it probably won't appreciate at the same rates as a UK property investment but hey it's about quality of life right.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Id agree with Rotor and Leeper.

Rent Rent Rent.

It took us 10 years to buy somewhere (and we know this area really well have family and friends already here)
You need to research, visit the area at different times of the day, night, month etc.
We looked at a perfect place in Finestrat until we went back at about 6pm and there were hundreds (maybe not) of kids running around.
The place we are now in gets the sun through the back windows in the morning and on the balcony in the afternoon. The same flat round the corner gets the sun streaming in all day (and none of them lift their shutters in the summer) So position with the sun is important.
Cold, don't let anyone tell you it don't get cold here. No heating, rattling double glazing and solid concrete floors, walls and ceiling...

Income wise, we are living well on about 70% of our Uk money. Most outgoings are comparable but some stuff can be cheaper. Depends what kind of lifestyle you want. And we are living in the same sort of property and doing much the same things (except for tapa, meal of the day, and out a couple more times in the week)

Last year someone on here asked if 3000 euro a month was enough (funny as I didn't have that much in the Uk) Its what you can live on.

Although at the end of the day it will be what Spain expects you to need (visa rules mean something like 24k or more before you start)
Old Jan 24th 2021, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Financially and considering legal problems Spain is not a good country to own property in compared with owning property in the UK if you are a UK citizen , if you have the capital to buy a house outright better to buy a Buy to Let in the UK and use the rent money for a rental in Spain , that said owning a house in Spain can be a pleasant lifestyle choice if you are financially secure , just dont expect to be able to sell it quickly and for a profit like you can in the UK should you have/want to , selling can take years and many take a considerable hit on what they paid.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 1:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Id agree with Rotor and Leeper.

Rent Rent Rent.

It took us 10 years to buy somewhere (and we know this area really well have family and friends already here)
You need to research, visit the area at different times of the day, night, month etc.
We looked at a perfect place in Finestrat until we went back at about 6pm and there were hundreds (maybe not) of kids running around.
The place we are now in gets the sun through the back windows in the morning and on the balcony in the afternoon. The same flat round the corner gets the sun streaming in all day (and none of them lift their shutters in the summer) So position with the sun is important.
Cold, don't let anyone tell you it don't get cold here. No heating, rattling double glazing and solid concrete floors, walls and ceiling...

Income wise, we are living well on about 70% of our Uk money. Most outgoings are comparable but some stuff can be cheaper. Depends what kind of lifestyle you want. And we are living in the same sort of property and doing much the same things (except for tapa, meal of the day, and out a couple more times in the week)

Last year someone on here asked if 3000 euro a month was enough (funny as I didn't have that much in the Uk) Its what you can live on.

Although at the end of the day it will be what Spain expects you to need (visa rules mean something like 24k or more before you start)
I bought first, but sold after a year, luckily just before the bubble burst, and then rented, and would advise people to rent not buy.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola,

I spend on average 1,000 euros a month on "living" a fairly comfortable life in one of the cheapest parts of Spain
Please say that includes a mortgage or rent!!!!!!!!

We spend around €11-1200 but that includes nearly €600 in rent and utilities. We don't live 'uncomfortably'!
Old Jan 24th 2021, 1:40 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Please say that includes a mortgage or rent!!!!!!!!

We spend around €11-1200 but that includes nearly €600 in rent and utilities. We don't live 'uncomfortably'!
You and your partner live on €400 / month after paying rent and utilities ?
Old Jan 24th 2021, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
You and your partner live on €400 / month after paying rent and utilities ?

A thousand a month is the average wage in spain, for a 'normal' job.

I would say we 'need' about the same, any extra is savings (and we have 2 cars, but can always save 'something' each month

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.