Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

my mate (bar owner)is bonkers,needs help

my mate (bar owner)is bonkers,needs help

Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of
Default my mate (bar owner)is bonkers,needs help

before you lot start,its not me,i had a bar for 7 years and sold it 2 years ago

my mate has a bar in fuengirola,a bar has opened up 3 doors away that has undercut them and the 3 brit bars inbetween in the row dont like it as they are getting all the trade,my advice was to go to the council as the owners of said bar may not be legal,only on a sub-let,

then,they dont want the council involved as they are all small operaions that only have the owner on ss and it might bring problems to them

my arguement is that its a free country,charge what you like if its legal,the other bar owners are not 100% legal but allmost

what can they do?

i was asked to ask,to be honest i dont care
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my mate (bar owner)is bonkers,needs help

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog

my mate has a bar in fuengirola,a bar has opened up 3 doors away that has undercut them and the 3 brit bars inbetween in the row dont like it as they are getting all the trade,my advice was to go to the council as the owners of said bar may not be legal,only on a sub-let,

then,they dont want the council involved as they are all small operaions that only have the owner on ss and it might bring problems to them

my arguement is that its a free country,charge what you like if its legal,the other bar owners are not 100% legal but allmost

what can they do?

Don't know sufficient about Spanish law/commerce but that seems right....wouldn't he do the same thing if he were opening up near a load of other bars?
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

With respect, it appears that your friend is both lazy...and snide. If the other bar can lower prices, and still turn a profit, then good for them. That your friend cannot, even whilst employing illegally, suggest that the bar business is not for him. Competition should encourage him to think of new ideas, offers, changes in ambiance/decor/pricing, anything to raise his game. But I guess it's easier to complain.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:34 pm
Banned

johnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the rough

I own a number of commercial properties in and around fuengirola that I long let out to X pats. I have found that most English bar owners tend to try anything that will improve there income,Bingo,Pool table,Darts, etc etc . The sad thing is the Police are very strict on music licences,which has affected a lot of bars. A bar is like any number of different businesses, if you don't make changes with the time of the year and listen to your clientele's views you will go on a rapid decline to bankruptcy. There is one new bar that has just opened on the second line of fuengirola which is on the same street as 5 other English bars which are busier than the others. He has made a deal with his suppliers on draught beers to enable him to sell more of there beer at a reduced price. He has a quiz night on a Monday, Where he gives out a dinky pork pie a little cheese and a pickle onion. The cost of this is only 90 cents per helping. So what I am trying to say, your friend should concentrate on the business at hand and not the bad will against his competition.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

,my advice was to go to the council as the owners of said bar may not be legal,only on a sub-let,

my arguement is that its a free country,charge what you like if its legal,the other bar owners are not 100% legal but allmoste
Sorry about your friends business but what's the difference between the two bar owners? you can't complain that the competition is not legal when you aren't either!

There are several bars in my street, some are cheaper than others and some are busier than others but it is not the price that dictates this....
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:52 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

I try to avoid British owned bars if I can. For me they do not represent value for money!
Spanish bars are often cheaper, the service better and sometimes they even provide you with the odd tapa.
British bars mainly seem to offer the 'Blackpool in the sun' type of ambience. You know Kareoke, bingo and Football, pie and chips etc.
For me Spain should be about enjoying the sunshine and the culture, and not creating 'little britain'.
Ask yu friend what his biggest seller is and how much is it. I bet he charges 1.5 euro or more for a glass of wine, when the bottle costs him about 2 euro!
I know he has to make a profit, but no one likes to feel ripped off!
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:51 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't do Brit bars very often but when I walk around Fuengirola they seem to be cheaper than the Spanish bars. Just now there are far too many Brit bars and a lot less Brits.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:07 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Reading the news in the link below there is a lot of trouble it appears re British Bars. I was rather shocked at the amount of crime and related ill will. The area I live in has no such problems save the odd theft if you leave the property on view but not on this scale. I am glad to be living behind the times and hope this behavior does not creep into my domain. There was a shooting some 3 months ago some ten miles away towards Barcelona, A couple of Germans and Brits were shot dead in a turf war ,But hey no offence in my book those who deal in Drugs deserve what they get.

http://www.coastrider.net/news_main.htm
Old Dec 13th 2008, 4:29 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

A couple of Germans and Brits were shot dead in a turf war ,But hey no offence in my book those who deal in Drugs deserve what they get.

I understand why people deal drugs.

The Farmacia near me earns a fortune
Old Dec 14th 2008, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnny13
I own a number of commercial properties in and around fuengirola that I long let out to X pats. I have found that most English bar owners tend to try anything that will improve there income,Bingo,Pool table,Darts, etc etc . The sad thing is the Police are very strict on music licences,which has affected a lot of bars. A bar is like any number of different businesses, if you don't make changes with the time of the year and listen to your clientele's views you will go on a rapid decline to bankruptcy. There is one new bar that has just opened on the second line of fuengirola which is on the same street as 5 other English bars which are busier than the others. He has made a deal with his suppliers on draught beers to enable him to sell more of there beer at a reduced price. He has a quiz night on a Monday, Where he gives out a dinky pork pie a little cheese and a pickle onion. The cost of this is only 90 cents per helping. So what I am trying to say, your friend should concentrate on the business at hand and not the bad will against his competition.
some good points there jonny,hard in fuengirola at the moment, guess its just that he has been there a lot longer and customers at the moment are few and far between,he is not lazy but if you see the situation of the bars(all like most brit bars operating with staff on no contracts etc) he is a bit frustrated and being egged on a bit by some of the other bar owners
they dont have the money to do up the place etc as the values of the leases have plummeted and i think they all know that in the back of their minds it will get worse before it gets better with the euro so strong,so it will either blow over or they may all suffer more

i told him to drop the price of cider tho,would cheer me up

Last edited by sensationalfrog; Dec 14th 2008 at 1:31 am. Reason: missed a bit out
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:29 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
I try to avoid British owned bars if I can. For me they do not represent value for money!
Spanish bars are often cheaper, the service better and sometimes they even provide you with the odd tapa.
British bars mainly seem to offer the 'Blackpool in the sun' type of ambience. You know Kareoke, bingo and Football, pie and chips etc.
For me Spain should be about enjoying the sunshine and the culture, and not creating 'little britain'.
Ask yu friend what his biggest seller is and how much is it. I bet he charges 1.5 euro or more for a glass of wine, when the bottle costs him about 2 euro!
I know he has to make a profit, but no one likes to feel ripped off!
But sometimes we want 'Blackpool in the sun'

I live in a Spanish village and the bars here are NOT cheaper than the Brit bars on the coast. There is invariably a tv on - which no-one can hear because the Spanish talk very loudly but they are friendly. No kareoke or bingo ... though you can get that in the casa de cultura with the pensionistas...sometimes football on the tv. Spanish beer 2.50 euro for a 'pinta' , wine 1 euro to 1.20 euro a glass.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

what can they do?

So what do you do now then?

As for your friend, rather than try to assassinate the opposition tell him to find that "something" that makes his bar more attractive than the others.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:57 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
assassinate the opposition
I feel a reality TV show coming on...
Old Dec 14th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: my mate (bar owner)is bonkers,needs help

Originally Posted by Lionda
But sometimes we want 'Blackpool in the sun'

I live in a Spanish village and the bars here are NOT cheaper than the Brit bars on the coast. There is invariably a tv on - which no-one can hear because the Spanish talk very loudly but they are friendly. No kareoke or bingo ... though you can get that in the casa de cultura with the pensionistas...sometimes football on the tv. Spanish beer 2.50 euro for a 'pinta' , wine 1 euro to 1.20 euro a glass.
Speak for yourself. You obviously have not been to Blackpool recently.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:50 pm
Banned

johnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Re: my mate (bar owner)is bonkers,needs help

Now the pound sterling is equal to the Euro, most if not all English bars will suffer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.