Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My friend runs her own business, wants to know if it'd be successful in Spain

My friend runs her own business, wants to know if it'd be successful in Spain

Old Jun 9th 2018, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

pathfinder_05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My friend runs her own business, wants to know if it'd be successful in Spain

Hi,

My friend has her own small business. On her Facebook page she calls herself a "Home, Pet and Organisational Assistance". She is hired by people to help run their lives. She is doing well because she is a bubbly enthusiastic lass and builds up a good bond between her and her clients.

At the bottom I'll paste the whole list of her services. The question is, how can she transfer her skills to work in Spain? There will always be people who want those kind of services, how would we reach them? Do we aim for large expat communities? Have any of you hired anyone to help you out?

As well as you guys offering advice, what words would I use to type into Google to look into this, something 'domestico'?

Here is the list, thanks for the help.

Dog Walking – Dog Walking Session, Feeding, Play Sessions
House Sitting – Plant Maintenance, Occupancy, Heating, Lights, Security Check, Mail, Dusting, Holiday Food Delivery, Pet Maintenance and Feeding (cages, litter trays, dog walking, feeding, water).
Service Finder – Find and book Plumbers, Mechanics, Joiners, Builders etc.
Shopping – Personalised Shopping Service – Food, Clothes, Household Supplies
Dry Cleaning/Ironing/Washing – Collection Service for Dry Cleaning, Washing, Ironing and Clothing Amendments
Life Organisation – Planning of Diaries, Appointments (hair, beauty, doctors)
Home Organisation – Kitchen Organisation, Wardrobe Organisation
Old Jun 9th 2018, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My friend runs her own business, wants to know if it'd be successful in Spain

Hi there

Personally I just can't see your friend making enough money here to call it a viable business... but hey I know everyone's experience is going to be different.

I have some American friends here that pay for house sitting and dog walking (they have 4 dogs and several cats) when they go on various trips.
A friend of mine's daughter also house sits and does dog walking...
But really it's a bit of extra money for a early 20 something year old, it isn't a living ... etc.
For the rest of those services you going to need good Spanish and to be honest... those kind of services may be popular with busy executives in the UK and US, but I really doubt you will find any call for them here among English speaking expats.

Perhaps there is some call for rich women in Marbella or Madrid for shopping services I don't know, you would need to speak Spanish and several other languages?
I can't imagine there is much call for life and home organisation and I don't know about any one else... I am 45 and since leaving corporate London, it has been a joy not to worry about ironing, dry cleaning and I no longer need 5 shirts a week ironed!

Someone who is reliable and flexible to do cleaning and villa change overs in the June to September period generally seems to be the needed skill.
Also decent trades man/women who are reliable and know what they are doing, do a good job etc are also in high demand.... but no one is paying for a finders service here!

Last edited by Smithy73; Jun 9th 2018 at 9:12 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My friend runs her own business, wants to know if it'd be successful in Spain

As someone who has operated a legal business here & the UK I would advise your friend to stay where she is.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 3:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
As someone who has operated a legal business here & the UK I would advise your friend to stay where she is.
I have to agree, most of the Brits living in Spain are retirees and likely to want to do all that themselves, also I assume that your friend is totally fluent in Spanish, would need to be to do what you are describing.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 3:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pathfinder_05
Hi,

My friend has her own small business. On her Facebook page she calls herself a "Home, Pet and Organisational Assistance". She is hired by people to help run their lives. She is doing well because she is a bubbly enthusiastic lass and builds up a good bond between her and her clients.

At the bottom I'll paste the whole list of her services. The question is, how can she transfer her skills to work in Spain? There will always be people who want those kind of services, how would we reach them? Do we aim for large expat communities? Have any of you hired anyone to help you out?

As well as you guys offering advice, what words would I use to type into Google to look into this, something 'domestico'?

Here is the list, thanks for the help.

Dog Walking – Dog Walking Session, Feeding, Play Sessions
House Sitting – Plant Maintenance, Occupancy, Heating, Lights, Security Check, Mail, Dusting, Holiday Food Delivery, Pet Maintenance and Feeding (cages, litter trays, dog walking, feeding, water).
Service Finder – Find and book Plumbers, Mechanics, Joiners, Builders etc.
Shopping – Personalised Shopping Service – Food, Clothes, Household Supplies
Dry Cleaning/Ironing/Washing – Collection Service for Dry Cleaning, Washing, Ironing and Clothing Amendments
Life Organisation – Planning of Diaries, Appointments (hair, beauty, doctors)
Home Organisation – Kitchen Organisation, Wardrobe Organisation
It's possible. I have a niece who is based in Mallorca and provides this sort of service to the families of senior crew members (Captains, Chief Engineers etc) of Superyachts who have established their base there.

Your friend needs to find rich people.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a long shot, maybe some pin money. But to try and do it legally I do not think would be worth the overheads of being self employed.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

" your friend", come on dont be shy- its you!!!!
Old Jun 12th 2018, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

"Home, Pet and Organisational Assistance"

Type that into Facebook and 'Girl Friday' comes up as a member.