Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My fiance is in a Spanish phyciatric unit . How/when would he be released please.

My fiance is in a Spanish phyciatric unit . How/when would he be released please.

Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:56 am
Just Joined

mwaldhauser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My fiance is in a Spanish phyciatric unit . How/when would he be released please.

Originally Posted by dmu
As said, surely it's the Doctors who decide, not the patient nor family.
As suggested, go and speak to the Doctors yourself. Presumably you were going to Barcelona anyway, for the marriage ceremony? Or has your fiancé got a visa to go to the States?
Hopefully some one who lives in Spain will be able to advise on the legal issue, I'm just giving general advice applicable anywhere....
He had a Visa to study medicine abroad. He was in the process of coming back but his father became ill so he stayed to be with his father.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 11:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My fiance is in a Spanish phyciatric unit . How/when would he be released please.

Originally Posted by mwaldhauser
He had a Visa to study medicine abroad. He was in the process of coming back but his father became ill so he stayed to be with his father.
Sorry, but I rather think you'll have to postpone your wedding set for this Friday. It sounds as though your fiancé's family might put pressure on the Doctors to prevent him from leaving the hospital, and even more so, Spain. Is his father in a position to help you sort things out?
What did the Consulate/Embassy advise?
Sorry I can't advise more, I don't speak any form of Spanish and can't consult official sites....
Good luck!
Old Sep 18th 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

You will open zero doors for youself here unless you engage a Spanish speaking Solicitor, or a person experienced in this matter to represent you. If its obvious the family won't help and you need answers, I cannot see any other way. Asking such an important question on a forum of extremely kind, well meaning but at the same time unqualified people in this matter will also get you nowhere, even if you did get a semblance of an answer you would find it hard to pursue it unless you have legal backing. Really sorry to hear of your plight, but what you need is informed and effective support, and soon.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwaldhauser
This maybe moved if in the wrong location.

I am in the US and I am trying to find out what the laws are in Spain regarding an individual in a mental hospital and how long until they are released? My fiancee has been admitted to the mental hospital in Barcelona due to have an emotional breakdown and swallowed all of his heart medication and passing out. He has been in the facility going on two months and I am wondering about how much longer he has to be there before they will release him. Can someone please give me some insight to the laws in Spain about holding an individual in a mental facility please. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Very sorry to read about your situation.

Mental health care is a very complicated thing! Your post mentions a 'release', so I am assuming your fiancee is being held against his will. He will only be 'sectioned' (a reference to UK law, but equally applicable to Spanish law) if a doctor, plus Two other professionals ascertain that he is a danger to himself, or others.

You really need to speak to a qualified social worker in Spain. I would suggest Cruz Roja as a first point of contact.

Finding help for sufferers in these sort of situations can be extremely frustrating. The only comfort I can offer is very simply; if he is in hospital - he is in the right place. You will have to learn to trust medical professionals more than you can trust your fiancee. Not easy!

Very difficult, but very difficult for good reasons. Start at Cruz Roja. Persevere if you have to. Learn to be incredibly patient. Most importantly, remember that your fiancee is the most vulnerable here - as unfair as the system may seem, everything is actually operating to protect him. You have to learn to trust the system, and work with the system to get the best possible help.

All the very best, and much needed luck to you. It is never an easy journey.

Last edited by TheLostPhotographer; Sep 18th 2017 at 6:29 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

mwaldhauser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
Very sorry to read about your situation.

Mental health care is a very complicated thing! Your post mentions a 'release', so I am assuming your fiancee is being held against his will. He will only be 'sectioned' (a reference to UK law, but equally applicable to Spanish law) if a doctor, plus Two other professionals ascertain that he is a danger to himself, or others.

You really need to speak to a qualified social worker in Spain. I would suggest Cruz Roja as a first point of contact.

Finding help for sufferers in these sort of situations can be extremely frustrating. The only comfort I can offer is very simply; if he is in hospital - he is in the right place. You will have to learn to trust medical professionals more than you can trust your fiancee. Not easy!

Very difficult, but very difficult for good reasons. Start at Cruz Roja. Persevere if you have to. Learn to be incredibly patient. Most importantly, remember that your fiancee is the most vulnerable here - as unfair as the system may seem, everything is actually operating to protect him. You have to learn to trust the system, and work with the system to get the best possible help.

All the very best, and much needed luck to you. It is never an easy journey.

Thank you. I am just ready for him to come home.